Tipping Porters at Port Everglades?

steveandjen

Hello. First and foremost, I have no issue tipping porters who help. I have however heard some horror stories about the porters at Port Everglades who request a tip before you even get out of your vehicle and that I have an issue with. I tried to do some research with the port, however they claim that porters are hired by the cruise lines. Please see below:

Good morning Steve,

The Porters are representatives hired by the cruise lines. Please contact the cruise line for more information about tipping the Porters.

Best regards,

Paula Serpa

Business Development Assistant • Cruise

Port Everglades Department

1850 Eller Drive • Ste. 501 • Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33316

954-468-0176 • Fax: 954-765-5345

http://www.porteverglades.net

Last time I checked, I thought the porters where employees of the port?

Anyways, is tipping actually a requirement at Port Everglades?

Thanks,

Steve

I've seen people complain here on the forums about being told by porters they need to be taken care of. And you don't want to complain because you really want your bag to make it. I doubt I would even try to get a name of a shake down porter for fear my bags would not make it!

But if the cruise lines hire them, I would at least let the line know that I felt intimidated. Do the porters have to wear a name tag? If not, they should so they could be reported later.

On our recent Oasis cruise, after unloading our bags, the porter did point us to the correct door and then tell us this would be the last time we would see him, so if we wanted to give him a gratuity, this was our opportunity. It was said in a non-pushy manner and I had no problem with it (since maybe some folks think that he's going to follow you into the terminal with the bags, as at an airport), but I can understand how some people might take it the wrong way and think he was demanding a tip.

Edited by Lizcourt

On my recent Constellation cruise we had a 5X8 trailer loaded with luggage for the 6 of us. There was also water and sodas we were taking with us. I jumped out of the SUV and waved a $100 bill. A very nice gentleman came over, and in less than 5 minutes all of my luggage was unloaded. He gave me his card, and indicated that he would look for us upon our return. Sure enough, he had most of our easily-identifiable luggage on carts, and was waiting to gather the odd pieces and whisk us through customs. Then he loaded the trailer for us. This time I gave him $150.

Needless to say, I will be on the lookout for him in December....

PS: All of our luggage and drinks were in the cabin when we boarded the ship. I think he was worth every penny. You may think it was a bit much until you saw the amount of luggage and extras.... None of us had to lift a finger! We just watched in awe.

• Like 1

I haven't had a run in with a pushy porter yet, but I also always have some small bills ready almost as soon as the plane touches down to signal the vacation's start.

As for $100 and $150 tips: If you ever cruise at the same time as me, I will personally carry your luggage on board, wait by the room until you are given the okay to go in, and unpack for you for that kind of money. I may even smuggle a bottle of adult beverage for you too.:D

i haven't had a run in with a pushy porter yet, but i also always have some small bills ready almost as soon as the plane touches down to signal the vacation's start.

As for $100 and $150 tips: If you ever cruise at the same time as me, i will personally carry your luggage on board, wait by the room until you are given the okay to go in, and unpack for you for that kind of money. I may even smuggle a bottle of adult beverage for you too.:d

too funny :)

All ht estories of luggage not showing up, due to porters are an urban legend.

I just did a fire watch detail at Port Everglades.

I was assigned at the baggage entrance and was able to watch the interaction.

Tippers were treated the same as nontippers.

(this was what I was able to see)

All luggage went into the baggage containers then straight to the xray area.

These workers are too busy to fool around with bags during the busy times.

During the slow times the luggage containers sit until whenever.

Guess what, the tips are shared with supervisors.

This was for Crown Princess, 0600to 1800 hrs.

Edited by fireofficer5

I've taken over 20 cruises out of Port Everglades and have never been asked for a tip. In fact, my DH has a British accent, and Europeans are known to tip less generously as a matter of custom. We usually give $2 per bag and the porters express their gratitude.

• 4 years later...
All ht estories of luggage not showing up, due to porters are an urban legend.

I just did a fire watch detail at Port Everglades.

I was assigned at the baggage entrance and was able to watch the interaction.

Tippers were treated the same as nontippers.

(this was what I was able to see)

All luggage went into the baggage containers then straight to the xray area.

These workers are too busy to fool around with bags during the busy times.

During the slow times the luggage containers sit until whenever.

Guess what, the tips are shared with supervisors.

This was for Crown Princess, 0600to 1800 hrs.

I am living proof that this is not Urban Legend. When we arrived at Port Everglades for our Princess Cruise just last week- we parked offsite and arrived at the port via group transport. When we arrived, the porter demanded that everyone on the bus stand off to the left while he unloaded the luggage. I thought this was silly since I didn't intend to carry my luggage on so I asked the porter "If we aren't carrying our own we can go right?" He replied "I said stand over there miss." I didn't really like the attitude or tone, and since tips are earned and not required, I was not tipping the porter with a bad attitude on a power trip. When I started to walk away, he said "You ain't gonna leave me a lil somthin'?" When I kept walking he asks "Which bags are yours?" My first thought was to keep walking so he wouldn't damage or "lose" my luggage. On second thought I thought maybe he needed to know to be sure our stuff went to the right place. So, I told him. "These 3 are ours." and he says."Aight, I take care of 'em." (sarcastic smirk) And boy did he. We boarded the ship and about 30 min later as we are passing the guest services desk, there's are 3 suitcases all by themselves, sitting outside the Pursers office- minus the luggage tags. Weird how all 3 suitcases lost the luggage tags that I had reinforced with mailing tape and secured with 5 staples each..... I so wish I had taken the tip to read the name tag of that miserable shmuck.... A message to the porter who behaves this way- If you feel you are entitled to a tip from every person, every time.... bring your manners. If you act like an a-hole, you don't get a tip. Makes since right?

We have sailed out of Port Everglades many times and we treat the porters there the same as we do anywhere else in the world (usually $5 for 2 bags). The ones I've dealt with have been pleasant, always wish us a wonderful cruise, and thank us for the tip.

I am sure that, just like anything service related, some folks have unpleasant experiences but one incident wouldn't make me condemn all porters. A taxi driver in Boston once tried to rip us off but I would never say all cabbies in Boston are dishonest.

We have sailed out of Port Everglades many times and we treat the porters there the same as we do anywhere else in the world (usually $5 for 2 bags). The ones I've dealt with have been pleasant, always wish us a wonderful cruise, and thank us for the tip.

I am sure that, just like anything service related, some folks have unpleasant experiences but one incident wouldn't make me condemn all porters. A taxi driver in Boston once tried to rip us off but I would never say all cabbies in Boston are dishonest.

You are so right.

We too have found many pleasant porters whether at embarkation or if we needed their assistance at disembarkation.

Keith

:D

You are so right.

We too have found many pleasant porters whether at embarkation or if we needed their assistance at disembarkation.

Keith

You are so correct! In fact, for our Prinsendam cruise in December/January, we had 2 porters take our luggage and both were the most friendly and pleasant whom I have encountered. Upon disembarking, I could see that my plan for getting the two of us and our luggage to the Mid-Port Garage was going to be difficult because of my traveling companion. I was able to engage a porter who took us to my car, chatty all the way there, and load the luggage into the car.

I could not be more pleased than I am with my most recent Port Everglades experience!

I just don't understand how people pay hundreds of dollars for a cruise and then get all upset about tipping the last people to handle your luggage before it gets put on the ship....:eek:

I know it is a hot topic for some, but when I am about to begin my wonderful cruise, giving a few bucks to a porter is just not a big deal to me.

Happy sailing everyone!!!

Edited by GTO-Girl

I just don't understand how people pay hundreds of dollars for a cruise and then get all upset about tipping the last people to handle your luggage before it gets put on the ship....:eek:

I know it is a hot topic for some, but when I am about to begin my wonderful cruise, giving a few bucks to a porter is just not a big deal to me.

Happy sailing everyone!!!

I totally agree. After spending thousands on a cruise, what is a few extra bucks for a tip for the porters? We always give a tip. And we have never been asked for a tip, it's always been given freely.

Even though we tip $5 for 2 bags, we still seem to be the last ones to get our bags (at least we do get them). Funny thing is, the past 2 cruises our HAL tags had a yellow stripe on them with the word PRIORITY on them - maybe the porters/crew thinks that this means "Last On"?

It isn't the couple bucks - as some suggested sarcastically - it is the attitude and sense of entitlement. When in customer service, act it!! We have no problem tipping but the amount varies greatly, whether wait-staff, drink people, or porters depending on the attitude & service. We have seen it both ways with porters therefore I keep several $1's in my pocket so I can vary the amount depending on attitude.

Understand there are some that cannot handle a carry on. However, one can pack easily in a carry on for a seven day cruise. Your bags arrive when you do and there is no need to tip anyone. You have to pack only what you will need.

And, yes, Rocketwoman can get all her makeup, etc., in her carry on.

Understand there are some that cannot handle a carry on. However, one can pack easily in a carry on for a seven day cruise. Your bags arrive when you do and there is no need to tip anyone. You have to pack only what you will need.

And, yes, Rocketwoman can get all her makeup, etc., in her carry on.

Two cruises ago out of FLL we dropped off two carry on bags with the porter and it took forever to get them once onboard, so this time we brought the carry ons onboard ourself (let the porter handle the one large bag) and it worked out much better (still took forever to get the large bag). We packed mostly the formal wear in the large suitcase, so we were able to get most of the things we needed unpacked as soon as we got to the cabin.

A bit more work, but we liked how it worked out.

Edited by DaveOKC

We always give a tip. And we have never been asked for a tip, it's always been given freely.

We feel the same way. Never once in all our cruises has any porter at any pier stood there with his hand open, or threatened us in any way. We treat them kindly, smile, say a friendly "Thank you so much." and hand them our tip, which has always been graciously received.

Once in Miami, I could see our porter was just about losing it, and I said "Thanks, and God bless you." and he replied, "Thank you, ma'am - I need it today!". :D

It's funny that this thread is coming up again after 5 years! Anyway, like I said 5 years ago, I've still never come across a rude porter. I'm pleasant, they're pleasant, I give them $2 per bag, and my luggage always arrives at my cabin, with tags.

• 4 months later...