Will packing a Hair Dryer or Flat Iron on Star send me to the Naughty Room?

Topat

I would like to bring my own hair dryer and flat iron along for myself and granddaughter.....I have read it is ok, then read it will send you to the Naughty Room on the Star if you pack it..:confused: Can anyone please advise the real deal? I don't want to go to the Naughty Room! Thanks so much.

I would like to bring my own hair dryer and flat iron along for myself and granddaughter.....I have read it is ok, then read it will send you to the Naughty Room on the Star if you pack it..:confused: Can anyone please advise the real deal? I don't want to go to the Naughty Room! Thanks so much.

The iron will get you every time if they see it. Not sure about the hair dryer, but they have hair dryers in the cabins.

I'm pretty sure she means a flat iron for hair - like a straightening iron - and not a clothes iron, which is what will get you every time. I *think* I've read that you can have flat irons/curling irons, but I'm not 100% sure.

Flat hair iron and hair dryer is ok . Clothes iron No ;)

At least this has been our expierence .

Edited by mpk218

I have taken a full size clothing iron just thrown in my suitcase on both the Spirit and Epic and never had an issue.

Thought the reason for no clothes irons was due to possible fire hazard if someone forgets to unplug.:confused:

I've been on the Star three times with a dryer and a straightener and, security-wise it's been no problem. However, between hot tubs and humidity, it's been a leiotrichous lost cause (see photo below) ;)

I've been on the Star three times with a dryer and a straightener and, security-wise it's been no problem. However, between hot tubs and humidity, it's been a leiotrichous lost cause (see photo below) ;)

Been on the Pearl with a curling iron and a hair dryer and found that their hair dryer worked just fine and took up too much space in my bag. Had no problem with either piece and security. Would have to agree though, that for windy itineraries, unless you are going to use them before dinner, kind of a waste of luggage space, at least it was for me.

We were on the Star in Jan and I took both a flat iron and a small personal fan that I must have for sleeping and there were no issues. I found the hairdryer in the cabin adequate. It is a full sized one, not a small compact one that often sucks my long hair into the wrong end - OUCH!! No need to take up that room in your bag in my opinion.

Enjoy the Star!!

Bringing hair appliances is just fine. This is from NCL's Guest Conduct Policy (I changed the text color to red):

PROHIBITED ITEMS

ITEMS WITH HEATING ELEMENTS OR OPEN FLAMES

Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted onboard. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed and may require a converter.

DRUGS OR OTHER ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES

No illegal drugs or other illegal substances including but not limited to medical marijuana are allowed onboard or may be utilized during a Norwegian Cruise Line vacation, including during transfers to and from ships, inside terminals, during shore excursions or at our private island. Illegal drugs or substances will be confiscated and appropriate action taken,which may include removal from the ship and involvement of appropriate authorities. In addition, foreign governments at Norwegian Cruise Line ports of call have strict laws that address drug possession. Guests found in violation of such laws are subject to arrest and prosecution by the foreign jurisdiction (and perhaps United States or other authorities as well) and may be prevented from re-boarding the ship.

WEAPONS, EXPLOSIVES OR OTHER DANGEROUS ITEMS

No weapon, explosive, or other item that presents a risk of harm to persons or property, are permitted onboard. They will be taken by ship’s Security and appropriate action taken. Guests are not allowed to bring their own scuba gears onboard such as oxygen tanks, diving knives, spears, etc.

BTW, I've always brought my own hair dryer and electric curlers, and I never needed an electrical converter.

I've never had a problem with my flat iron on a ship or a plane but for some reason, my travel hair dryer always raises flags at airports. They're allowed on the ship but I stopped packing mine because I got sick of my bag being searched at the airport every time.

Could you put the hair flatner in your carry on that goes through security with you? Might be a bit awkward & take up space but if it save ya a maybe-trip to the Naughty Room it may be worth it.

Ummm....take a look at the shape of most hair dryers? :rolleyes:

Yeah, I actually did figure that one out, but thanks for the sarcasm :rolleyes: My travel dryer folds up, so it's hard to be 100% sure that the shape is the problem. When folded, it's not that suspicious looking.

teeny25, you can put it in the carryon but it's really not necessary. Never had an issue with the straightener.

Just returned from the GEM and my wife brought her curling iron without any issue. There was a blow dryer in every cabin which worked fine. I also packed a small travel steam iron and there were no questions or problems. I always bring it on cruises and have never been stopped, or questioned about it yet.

I've found the blow dryers onboard to be adequate (and leaves me extra space in my suitcase) but I always bring a curling iron and/or straightener with no problem at boarding. The problems I have had are at hotels pre and post cruise. Once in Paris and once in Copenhagen I've blown out my curling iron, even though I used an adapter, so I won't even bother in the future. Beware!

Btw, clothes steamers are allowed on NCL.

I've found the blow dryers onboard to be adequate (and leaves me extra space in my suitcase) but I always bring a curling iron and/or straightener with no problem at boarding. The problems I have had are at hotels pre and post cruise. Once in Paris and once in Copenhagen I've blown out my curling iron, even though I used an adapter, so I won't even bother in the future. Beware!

Btw, clothes steamers are allowed on NCL.

I have thick, wavy, and really hard to style hair. I don't go ANYWHERE without a blow dryer and flat iron! All through Europe, all different cruise lines, never a problem. I can't usually use the blow dryer in ships (or hotels) on my hair, I would be there for hours with those things. And I always bring an adaptor, never had a problem with anything blowing out. Not that it couldn't happen, just never happened to me in all my travels...and I think it's worth taking the chance.

Edited by TexasHorseLady

Just a note for the posters who said they had no problem bringing a clothes iron aboard: they are an exteme fire hazard because they are not grounded properly for shipboard use. All you have to do is call housekeeping and they will bring you an iron and ironing board.