Packing Techniques

So, this may be a strange question.....

What do you find is the most efficient way to pack items in a suitcase? Typically, I just fold things into two piles, cram the smaller things where the gaps are, and voila! This also is when I leave locally and have (basically) no restriction on luggage. I take enough clothes for "what if" plus a daily change of clothes, some pants for crazy flaky weather, etc. I can admit I do overpack.

Now, my family and I will be flying for our upcoming vacation - and I am SUPER nervous about getting everything in the bags! We have 7 of us all together, me, hubby, and 5 kids. I am looking to take 4 bags of checked luggage and maybe 1 carry on if necessary?

So my questions are:

1) What guidelines do you use when determining how much clothes to pack? Do you re-wear certain clothes more than once? (I will not have washing machine access). However I am going from warm weather to warm weather, so no pants, sweaters, etc needed.

2) How do tho most efficiently pack everything in your bag? I've heard rolling clothes works well? Does anyone do this? Anyone have any pictures? (crazy I know! LOL)

3) Any other tips to help me? This is our first flight and Im super anxious about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For the past few years, we have packed our shirts/tops in two or three clear, sealable vacuum bags.

I lay a number of tops, on hangers, on top of each other on our kitchen island counter. I'm very careful to soothe out wrinkles. When I have about 12 garments in a stack, I fold in the arms and then fold it in thirds horizontally. I then slide the garments into the vacuum bag, remove as much air as possible, then seal using the built-in zipper. I don't extract any more air after this. Onboard, I open the bag, unfold and hang. Have always had very few wrinkles.

It's a quick and easy way to pack. We've done the folding, rolling, packing cubes...the vacuum bag is quicker, easier and we end up with fewer wrinkles. The bags, by the way, are available at Walmart.

Lew

I'm not sure it these are available in your area but we love them.

http://shop.heys.ca/products/jetpack-compressible-hanging-packing-shelf

I hang them up at home to pack. Compress and put in the suitcase.

Take out once we hit the stateroom. Unpacking takes about 2 min.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Rolling is best. The issue with compression bags is that even though you squeeze out the air, your stuff still has weight so your bag may be too heavy.

Roll almost everything..make a couple layers...it works....I sell luggage for a living....

sent from my ellipsis..

My daughter has introduced me to bundle packing and I used it on my last cruise. It was amazing, used much less space and best of all it wasn't creased. I would definitely use it again.

She went on a week's holiday to the Caribbean last year with just a carry on case. :D

Every year I visit my sister in Maine for Thanksgiving. I've been using a method I stumbled across in which they claim you can pack for 60 days in just a carryon. I thought "Yeah, sure..." But I tried it, and it works! I don't skimp on the clothes, either. I pack bulky sweaters, jeans, sweatshirts, etc. Here is the link to a video showing this method. It may be the "bundling" method referred to by Hairymelon.

http://www.packinglight.net/travel_info_depot.aspx

Edited by linkerbink

I have watched quite a few videos on youtube on packing. Some good, and some not for me, but I would recommend you spend a while searching around.

I have been reading some of the threads on here about cruise wear and one had a link to Project 333. While I haven't got that efficient, I have done a lot of cleaning out the wardrobe, and it is my belief that if you try to live with less for a while at home you may feel more comfortable when on holiday that you have actually packed enough.

On a recent clean out I donated a skirt to charity, and realised it had been on 3 cruises with me. It was not comfortable and went with nothing else, so I had NEVER actually worn it!

Be strong, you can do it. :)

A couple of additional comments - assuming you will use one of the previously mentioned packing methods that you are comfortable with.

You can have laundry done on board - there is usually a laundry "bag" special. You can also handwash a few things if you have to and hang to dry.

Evening dinner clothes can be worn more than once, and I don't just mean "formal night" - I am thinking long pants/blouses/shirts, etc. During the day I find t-shirts etc.. get pretty sweaty. You may find you just wear swimsuites and coverups during the day - depends on your plans. Don't obsess about having shoes to match outfits, etc.

Try to cross pack so that if one suitcase is lost or delayed you don't lose all the clothes for one person.

Watch your weight on the cases - pack a few heavy things such as shoes in each case.

Remember the TSA rules regarding liquids ...... if you have the time plan to purchase your toiletries (especially for that number of people) on your way to the pier - cuts down on weight and possible spills.

Same thing if you plan on purchasing wine to take on board - has to be in your packed suitcase for flying - can be heavy. Either wrap well in plastic bag or purchase on the way to the pier.

Make sure you remove all tags from your luggage - just have the airline tags on - you should put your RC tags on after you claim your bags at the airport.

You can normally take a carry-on per person - check your airline rules and regulations regarding luggage restrictions. You might prefer to do this rather than just take one carry-on.

Old fashioned tip, but I do it anyway! I put a note on top of each suitcase with the name of the ship, dates, etc. just in case a bag gets lost. I figure that way the airline can forward the bag to me - not send it home!

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by PMcC1998

I rewear shorts...generally, I'll wear shorts to breakfast, then change into bathing suit....I've only had the shorts on for a bit...so they're fine to wear again! I try not to bring anything to "bulky"..just takes up too much space.

It's not my clothes that are the problem...it's hubby's! His are much larger than mine...along with his big, ole shoes!! I limit what shoes he can bring!

Statistically speaking 20%- 25% of what is packed is actually never used or even needed. So make a list first and than eliminate 20%-25% of it.

FYI - I cruise only using an 18" carry-on and a small tote bag and even at that several items are never used. All clothing and accessories packed must be interchangable with 2 other items otherwise it does not get pack. Yes I wear items twice.

The issue with compression bags is that even though you squeeze out the air, your stuff still has weight so your bag may be too heavy.

You're kidding...right?

Your stuff weighs the same whether you pack it in a vacuum bag, roll it, cube it...however you pack it. The bag itself weighs next to nothing.

Am I missing something?

Lew

You're kidding...right?

Your stuff weighs the same whether you pack it in a vacuum bag, roll it, cube it...however you pack it. The bag itself weighs next to nothing.

Am I missing something?

Lew

I think the point is, that when compressing you can fit even more into a bag, so weight sneaks up on you and it's easy to go over the weight limits.

So, this may be a strange question.....

What do you find is the most efficient way to pack items in a suitcase? Typically, I just fold things into two piles, cram the smaller things where the gaps are, and voila! This also is when I leave locally and have (basically) no restriction on luggage. I take enough clothes for "what if" plus a daily change of clothes, some pants for crazy flaky weather, etc. I can admit I do overpack.

Now, my family and I will be flying for our upcoming vacation - and I am SUPER nervous about getting everything in the bags! We have 7 of us all together, me, hubby, and 5 kids. I am looking to take 4 bags of checked luggage and maybe 1 carry on if necessary?

So my questions are:

1) What guidelines do you use when determining how much clothes to pack? Do you re-wear certain clothes more than once? (I will not have washing machine access). However I am going from warm weather to warm weather, so no pants, sweaters, etc needed.

2) How do tho most efficiently pack everything in your bag? I've heard rolling clothes works well? Does anyone do this? Anyone have any pictures? (crazy I know! LOL)

3) Any other tips to help me? This is our first flight and Im super anxious about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A great general rule for cruising that will help with the packing:

Take half as many clothes and twice as much cash.

Seriously, most people (including me) take way too much stuff with them on cruises. As for how to cram the maximum amount of stuff into a bag, rolling everything is the answer (learned that in the military).

You're kidding...right?

Am I missing something?

Lew

Yes, you are. By rolling the clothes, you can fit more clothes into the same fixed space (the bag). 5 shirts weigh the same no matter what. But a bag with 5 shirts weighs much less than a bag with 10 rolled shirts in it.

My daughter has introduced me to bundle packing and I used it on my last cruise. It was amazing, used much less space and best of all it wasn't creased. I would definitely use it again.

She went on a week's holiday to the Caribbean last year with just a carry on case. :D

What is bundle packing please?

You're kidding...right?

Am I missing something?

Lew

Sorry, shouldn't post before coffee..:o

Let me clarify...if you save SPACE, you're likely to take MORE stuff, thus adding to the weight....

I have people all the time who buy space bags and then say WOW I had all this room, took more stuff and went over weight. Well...YEAH....of course....

Does that make sense?

I think the point is, that when compressing you can fit even more into a bag, so weight sneaks up on you and it's easy to go over the weight limits.

Thanks...obviously you're 1) a mind reader, and 2) more caffeinated that I was...:D

I learned a trick in the Air Force many years ago. When I packed my duffel bag I would fold items in third then roll them up. It's was amazing nothing wrinkled. I do that now when packing a suitcase. Seems to get more items in.

Bill

Packing is always a challenge.

We are doing the 2 Oasis Trans Atlantic's this fall. Oasis Ft Lauderdale to Barcelona with a month to travel Europe by train.

So Barcelona to France to Switzerland then a 8 day river cruise from Basel to Amsterdam then to Rotterdam. Then Oasis back to Ft Lauderdale then a 15 day Trans Panama cruise from FT Lauderdale to LA then back to Toronto for Christmas and reload.

So 80 days of travel going from Tropical to rain and fall weather in France to winter conditions in the Alps of Switzerland.

We are planning on doing it with two 22" suit cases to enable us to have mobility and use subways, buses and trains to move about.

We use pouches and compression folders to pack.

These are great as they organize your clothes so you can unpack your bag in a few minutes at a Hotel and no need to dig for items as they are in a specific pouch or folder. You pack as quickly as you unpack as well as you just put the pouches or folders in the drawers.

We know we have to layer and have bought new fashionable looking light weight all weather jackets with detachable hoods plus rain pants that don't look like rain pants so we can wear them on cool days as well as rainy ones.

Last spring it rained 3 days straight while we were in Rome for a week and our legs got wet from the rain dripping off our jackets thus the rain pants this time.

But this trip is going to be tough.

I find taking black denim jeans are very versatile and as comfortable as blue jeans but can be worn with a light unlined dress jacket and a white shirt even a tie if necessary and you will be allowed into any venue or restaurant.

I also wear golf pants which can look dressy or casual but are very durable for heavy everyday use and don't show wear and wrinkles and are comfortable in the heat.

I pack a pair golf shorts as well and a swim suit that can double as shorts to go to the beach in tropical ports.

I wear comfortable black dress high top Clark shoes with a durable sole. They are my walking and dress shoe they work in the rain without your feet getting wet like runners, a pair of light runners for the gym and a pair of flip flops which serve duty at the pool or beach, in the sauna or steam room and as slippers in the cabin and hotel.

My wife will be packing a fancy dress but it will be silk as they are very light and pack small, she is petite. A pair of dress slacks that she can mix and match tops with.

Her day clothes she lays out and ensures she can mix and match tops with pants and shorts.

She wears casual dark leather casual walking shoes so good in the rain and packs light runners, flip flops and a pair of dress sandals.

We want our bags to only weigh 40 pounds to start as we will acquire items along the way.

Edited by baldercash

Days: For a warm weather cruise, we typically get up and dress for the pool/beach each day. This eliminates the need for a lot of daytime "clothing." For me, this means 2 bathing suits so that I always have a dry one, and a modest cover up or sundress to put on over for breakfast, lunch etc. We rarely do any long involved shore excursions, but may go ashore for lunch or to walk around a bit. I find that one or two pair of shorts and maybe 2 tees or tanks more than suffice for any daytime hours that I am not wearing a bathing suit and cover up. My first cruise I made the mistake of literally packing a separate pair of shorts and shirt for every single day. By the end of the week, I hadn't even touched most of it due to always being in either pool attire or going back to the same favorite pair or two of shorts for those rare times I needed to actually be "dressed" during the day.

Evenings: I absolutely wear things more than once. If I take a pair pants, I plan to wear them at least twice to dinner, usually with different tops. I also try to color coordinate so that I need no more than 2 pair of sandals/heels to go with all of my evening attire. That and one pair of flip flops for the daytime are all the shoes I pack, other then tennis shoes for working out. When my boys come on a cruise, I pack them each 2-3 pair of khakis to wear in the evenings. They often change back out of them after dinner to hang with their friends, so unless they dump something in their lap during dinner, 2-3 pair can get them through the whole week. We never need to have laundry done onboard when it is just the two of us, but if the kids are with us, I usually just plan to send a bag of dirty clothes to be laundered on day 3 or 4. My boys do tend to get dirty, and the cost of a load of laundry is well worth not packing a bunch of extra clothes for them

You're kidding...right?

Am I missing something?

Lew

Yes you are. If rolling, vacuum packing etc you can definitly get more in a suitcase. That's great as long as you don't go over the airlines 40-50 lb limit. We've found that with average sized suitcases there's not much benefit to rolling and vacumm packing, packing things normally without rolling etc pretty much gets them close enough to the limit. Of course we try to stay a few pounds under to leave a weight cushion for bringing booze home:D