Room Temperature inside Cruise Ship....

tinystarr

Hello All, I am sailing in 15 days from Miami to Bahamas via Carnival Imagination...I have two toddlers with me...

How is Room Temperature inside Cruise Ship and on the decks? Do I need to carry jackets for Kids especially when we are in the middle of the ocean?:confused:

Thanks

In your stateroom the airflow can be controlled by a vent in the ceiling....but not anywhere else on the ship ! Evening can get cool outside on deck so a light sweater or jacket would be suggested fror any passenger if needed. Sometimes inside the ship can be cool regarldess of the time of day. Pack and be prepared just in case.

I tend to be cold in the evenings, especially when I've been in the sun all day. I always make sure I have a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt/sweater in my suitcase so I don't have to freeze through a show. :)

I would bring a few light layering pieces for everyone in your family. Much better than being cold or having to buy things on the ship that you wouldn't otherwise purchase.

My husband and I were comfortable inside our room, however we did find the dining room and bar areas a little bit chilly. Also with the ocean wind blowing at night, there was a decent chilly breeze once the sun went down. I found myself with a light jacket in the evenings to combat this :)

The temp control for your ship is on the ceiling. I had to stand on the bed. Its just a dial from blue to red, no temps on it ...do you want more or less a/c, turn the dial.
On Cunard the thermostat is on the wall. Still only red/blue for calibration, though.

On Cunard the thermostat is on the wall. Still only red/blue for calibration, though.

Nice to know :rolleyes: but, the OP was asking about a specific ship, the "Imagination" a CCL ship. And the poster got their answers based on the ship they were inquiring about. ;)

Just wanted to say THANKS for posting this. I am sailing on the Imagination as well on 04/11 and I am always cold. I planned on bringing at least 2 cardigans to keep me warm, but I am glad to hear that we can adjust our room temp. I will put it to a warmer temp and not tell DH, he is always hot and likes the room freezing so he can stay warm under the covers- not this time!!;)

Just wanted to say THANKS for posting this. I am sailing on the Imagination as well on 04/11 and I am always cold. I planned on bringing at least 2 cardigans to keep me warm, but I am glad to hear that we can adjust our room temp. I will put it to a warmer temp and not tell DH, he is always hot and likes the room freezing so he can stay warm under the covers- not this time!!;)

You cannot adjust the actual "Temperature" of your stateroom, but can control the "Air flow" which will affect the temp. to some degree.

• 2 years later...

Aloha!

We are booked on our first cruise this August! Thanks for this thread, we were concerned the temps inside would be like the temps outside!

Yes, we are that naive! Sorry, we are from Hawaii (well, we aren't sorry that we are from Hawaii!), where the houses have no insulation, and most have no air conditioning!

Anyway, thanks and mahalo from a newbie!

lei & Howard

tottaly a matter of opinion!! while on Carnival Destiny last summer our room was warm ,.. not HOT but much warmer then it should be for being indoors.. we called maintenance to ask how to adjust the air.. because the knob was turned all the way to cold.. and he said its as high as it goes... did a temp reading in the room... "its 75. thats standard your air is working just fine " it was barely worth relaxing in our room cus it just wasnt cool.. id rather sit in the hot sun w the fierce ocean breeze...

After water taste, A/C temp is the next most subjective thing on a ship.

The public spaces are cooled by large A/C units that will maintain a constant delivery air temperature around 55-60*F. The thermostats in each space will control the dampers to allow more or less of this cold air into the space to maintain the set temperature, but things like outside air temp, sunshine on the hull, and the number of people in a space (in proportion to the number it is designed to hold) will affect how rapidly or accurately the system responds. I would say that more people have commented on public spaces being too cold, than too hot.

Cabins are different. Some cabins, like those on the OP's ship, have only a damper in the air register to adjust the air volume, which is a rough way to control temperature. The cool air is also from large A/C units that will supply whole banks of cabins. Some have air supply from the main A/C "battery", but will also have a small cooler (frequently located under the sink) that will recirculate cabin air through this small cooler, and this is what your thermostat controls. This gives better performance generally.

I would always suggest a sweater, sweatshirt or light jacket for children, as they are more susceptible to chills and you don't want to have to play nurse to them while on vacation. And in the tropics, going from outside heat to inside, sometimes very cool, can get you real quick.

The "standard" room temperature that many hear from maintenance or guest services is the temperature range where the line will not offer compensation for a hot or cold cabin.

Edited by chengkp75