Is there "curbside" dropoff for your bags at Port of Miami?

randjsmom

Haven't cruised in about ten years. This is the first time we are parking our private car at the Port of Miami. Do you park your car and then drag all of your bags to check them in or is there a curbside area to drop bags before parking (similar to airports)?

This is probably a silly question, but we have a lot of bags.

Its often hard to get to the curb to drop off your bag. If you are impatient or dont have many bags, I find it easier to park and then bring the bags to the porter after parking. curbside or no. It can be a mad house with folks trying to drop off folks and bags. way worse than say the airport.

I have never had a problem at Miami dropping it off, tipping the porter, then parking my car. I am thinking of finding another place to park now that it is $20 dollars a day to park there and no free parking with a handicap parking permit.:(

But this is from the Port of Miami website which may be outdated:

Parking:

Parking is available in facilities located in front of individual cruise terminals. No reservations are required to park at the Port of Miami. Long-term parking for a regular vehicle occupying a single space is $20 per day. Short term parking is $7.00 if you are coming to see someone off but, not intended for overnight parking. All Cruises in the current itineraries would fall under Long Term Parking.

Rates will vary for larger vehicles (ie., oversized vans, recreational vehicles and vehicles with trailers). If the vehicle is over 20’ in length then an additional $20.00 is added per day. Therefore, these larger (ie., oversized vans, recreational vehicles and vehicles with trailers) cost $40.00 per day and all oversized vehicles can only park in Lot #2.

Currently garages C, G, and J accept either cash, credit (Visa, MasterCard, American Express only), or US Travelers checks. Lot #2 is currently cash and US Travelers Checks.

Additional Parking Information

There is no Valet Parking at the POM.

Due to security precautions Car/Shuttle rental company facilities are not located on the Port of Miami premises.

Long term parking is $20.00 per day for cruise passengers parking for 24-hours/overnight or longer per cruise length.

Short term parking is $7.00 if you are coming to see someone off but, not intended for overnight parking.

All Cruises in the current itineraries would fall under Long Term Parking.

Oversized vehicles such as motor homes, truck with trailers, or buses that are over 20’ in length will be charged an additional $20.00 per day and can only park in Lot # 2.

At this time, Handicapped parking is Free.

The Port of Miami currently has 3 Parking Garages available for Cruise passengers. The total capacity now available is 5,871, with 56 dedicated to the handicapped and 7 to passengers with young infants. The top floor is open to air at each Garage. There is also one outside Parking Lot available as well.

If you have handicapped exemption, the completion of a short form is required. Having the form pre-filled prior to leaving will expedite your entrance/exit at the Toll Booth. Please email us your mailing address so the form can be sent to you via U.S. mail. Upon request, forms can be mailed 30 days in advance.

The toll booth attendant will require:

Proof of exemption: (See the Placard, Sticker, License plate number)

Drivers License of owner/exempt individual

The Seaport also offers a Shuttle Service for cruise passengers, one of which is wheelchair accessible. The Shuttle will pick you up at the Parking Garage/Lot and take you to the appropriate Cruise Terminal location.

The Port of Miami prides itself on our customer service and its visitor's safety. If I can help you any further please feel free to contact the Port of Miami at pomservice@miamidade.gov.

Weel we just sailed out of Miami.....you can certainly drop off your luggage to the porters (although it is not well marked (had to circle around twice)...but be prepared to take a shuttle bus from Garage C or G back to the terminal...the parking lot across from the ships was closed. Upon our return we had to also ride the shuttle bus from the terminal to Garage C to get the car.

We sailed on May 31 and got free handicapped parking. However, you have to have a special form you get from the port ahead of time. You can email them within 30 days of your cruise and they will mail you the form. You give them that form and have your handicap permit on your car and no problem.

My DH dropped us off with the luggage and he went to park while we waited in line. He walked back because it is not that far from the garage to the terminal and he did not want to wait for the shuttle. It can be hard to get up to the curb, but everyone is moving pretty quickly and it will just work out if you don't get stressed.

The line moved fast and we had to wait at the front of the line before going through security because I had the passports. It felt weird to give our luggage to the porters because there was alot of confusion and luggage sitting around everywhere but we got it all with no problems.

If you have handicapped exemption, the completion of a short form is required. Having the form pre-filled prior to leaving will expedite your entrance/exit at the Toll Booth. Please email us your mailing address so the form can be sent to you via U.S. mail. Upon request, forms can be mailed 30 days in advance.

The toll booth attendant will require:

Proof of exemption: (See the Placard, Sticker, License plate number)

Drivers License of owner/exempt individual

The Seaport also offers a Shuttle Service for cruise passengers, one of which is wheelchair accessible. The Shuttle will pick you up at the Parking Garage/Lot and take you to the appropriate Cruise Terminal location.

The Port of Miami prides itself on our customer service and its visitor's safety. If I can help you any further please feel free to contact the Port of Miami at pomservice@miamidade.gov.

• 5 years later...

A short form is filled out, you can either have then send it to you ahead of time, you can pick it up at the booth where you exit the garage when you park your car and fill it out on the ship, or pick it up when you return to port as you're walking to your car!

All you need is the filled out short form, your drivers license, your placard/or handicap plate on your car, and you're all set!

When we cruise, I factor in the savings of using the Miami Port ($0. for parking) when I compare cruise prices!

Edited by Russian Bear

Guess my search gave different results than the rest of you found

From the Port of Miami Website

For Disabled Persons

Notice to Disabled Parking Patrons (Effective November 16, 2013 at 12:01 a.m.)

Based on Ordinance 13-104 That Amends Section 30-338.2 of the Miami–Dade County Code;

Public parking charges will apply to vehicles parking at PortMiami’s public parking facilities that display a disabled parking permit or license tag, except as provided by Florida state law*. However, a vehicle displaying a disabled parking permit or license tag will be allowed up to two (2) hours of free parking. Any vehicle exceeding the two-hour free parking period will be charged for the entire time the vehicle uses the facility.

*In accordance with Florida state law, no parking charges will be imposed on any vehicle with specialized equipment, such as ramps, lifts, foot or hand controls, for use by a person with a disability, or any vehicle displaying the Florida Toll Exemption permit.

How to request complimentary disabled parking at PortMiami:

• At the exit, advise the parking attendant that you would like a disability waiver of parking.
  • The parking attendant will examine your vehicle to determine if the driver/vehicle meets the criteria for a parking waiver.
  • The parking attendant will inspect the vehicle to determine if a Florida Turnpike Toll Exemption sticker is affixed to it and/or if the vehicle has specialized equipment and a hanging tag from the Division of Motor Vehicles verifying the equipment.
  • Once the parking attendant has verified that a disability waiver of parking is allowable, the driver's name, address and the registration number on the sticker or hanging tag will be recorded on a form by the parking attendant.

Snowskier:

That is because this thread is from 2008 and the handicap parking is no longer free as of last Nov. at POM.

The boards on CC are all messed up right now. Not sure why old threads keep popping up and when I post...it does not show up at times today. Took me forever to get to the site...said it was down. Also, it won't let me quote anyone.:rolleyes: