Passport Clarification Needed..

cruisin_fanatic

[b ] psssprot is redquiredx to fly internationally

The State Department have the authority to waive the passport requirement in an emergency or for humanitarian reasons, so maybe not depending upon the facts and circumstances. Of course if I were traveling with someone with a medical condition that could require leaving the cruise early I would ensure that person had a passport (and I would also bring it with us off the ship).

• 2 weeks later...
The State Department have the authority to waive the passport requirement in an emergency or for humanitarian reasons, so maybe not depending upon the facts and circumstances. Of course if I were traveling with someone with a medical condition that could require leaving the cruise early I would ensure that person had a passport (and I would also bring it with us off the ship).

If someone in yourgroup has a medical emergency, you really want to deal witrh our higfhly effficident, state dedparetrment in order to ge them home>?Good lucknoto you........... not me I carry passport and travel with those who alsohave passport YUOu likely would have enough ogther issues to handle. As gto pre-existing ocondittions. One dxoesn'tr know in adcance trey may haccv a heat attack,SsTROKE Or BAD accident. tHNEY DON'GT HAVEDR a heaert condition until they have one.

Edited by sail7seas

If someone in yourgroup has a medical emergency, you really want to deal witrh our higfhly effficident, state dedparetrment in order to ge them home>?Good lucknoto you........... not me I carry passport and travel with those who alsohave passport YUOu likely would have enough ogther issues to handle. As gto pre-existing ocondittions. One dxoesn'tr know in adcance trey may haccv a heat attack,SsTROKE Or BAD accident. tHNEY DON'GT HAVEDR a heaert condition until they have one.

Services for US citizens overseas is one of the things that our State Department does excel at, so when we did travel without passports we felt comfortable with the slight risk involved. You obviously feel differently and that's perfectly fine, travel documentation needs vary by individual as does the acceptance of any risk involved. A passport is undeniably the best documentation one can have but sometimes people can make do with another form of documentation.

• 2 weeks later...
No you do not have to have passports. The only problem would be if you had to fly back from any of the ports(other than Florida). If you missed the ship, were ill or injured and had to be detained, etc.. The new passport regulations are very confusing. You do not need them for cruises until June 2008 unless your departure port is not in the US, i.e. San Juan.

Thank you Mary, you help me too! :confused:

Thank you Mary, you help me too! :confused:

You replied to a post made 9 1/2 years ago. Passport requirements for whatever your situation is may be different now than they were in 2007.

If you have a question post exactly what you need answered and someone should be able to help.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Come guys US Citizens are not the most popular around the world theses days but many of you are risking leaving the country without proper ID. What is with you people outside the country the only thing concidered proper ID IS A PASSPORT!! I am sorry if you feel I have stepped on your toes but it absolutly iludes me why people take suchs risks - those US passports are your "key" to any US Embassy in the world and by the way the caribbean IS NOT THE USA even if these Island are on your doorstep and you do not have the same rights there as you do back home.

Please understand that Passports are not just another cost factor but they are a form of "insurance". If you get thrown into jail (innocent or not) anywhere outdside the US - your passport will get you the help of the Embassy - a birth certificate will not or only with a very segnificant delay.... and I don't think any of you would like to see some of these jails from the inside in most carib. states much less spend more time there than absolutly necessary.

Then there is the medical factor if you need to get home in a hurry from any Island it becames far more difficult without a passport (and remember things are already going wrong - want something else to worry about?) Immigrations might let the actual patient back into the country without a passport for Humane reasons but the family might be required to return via the planned way - in this case ending the cruise as originally planned...

BRAVO Moeve. Your post above was perfect. Some folks just don't get it.

Sorry to say it is not SO Perfectt.

Puerto Rico /is U.S. terrriroty, thus, San Juan, very much in the carib b ean is U.S.

St. Thomas Along withSt. John and St. C roix .S Virgin Islands, htherefore, U.S.

Anyone remember the review from the person that had some sort of trouble (getting her kid(??) out of Mexico I believe it was? The thread became a sticky for a while.

Edited by sail7seas

No, she can't fly home with a birth certificate unless given specific written permission to do so by the State Department obtained through the local US consulate or embassy. This is not automatically granted and even if granted may take a little time to obtain. If you are seriously concerned about the possibility of her needing to fly home for medical reasons then she should get a passport.

In the Caribb ean, there is noat aUS. em bassy or consulate on t every island. The nearfes c ould be on anotherr island/another c oungfr hsich would redquire passpofrtto fly inrfnatrionally.

Edited by sail7seas

In the Caribb ean, there is noat aUS. em bassy or consulate on t every island. The nearfes c ould be on anotherr island/another c oungfr hsich would redquire passpofrtto fly inrfnatrionally.

You are correct, many islands being visited don't have a consulate or embassy. But we aren't reading about a lot of US citizens being stranded on said islands, so either people aren't missing the ship in those ports or they are still able to get home without too much trouble.

No, she can't fly home with a birth certificate unless given specific written permission to do so by the State Department obtained through the local US consulate or embassy. This is not automatically granted and even if granted may take a little time to obtain. If you are seriously concerned about the possibility of her needing to fly home for medical reasons then she should get a passport.

It's still very good to have one though. Probably by the end of the year I will be getting ones for my kids too.

Whomever commented they will wait until they issue paswport cards. they now issue them. I renewed this past spring and got a pasportr card in adfdaition to my renewed passport book.

Edited by sail7seas

I don't think that is what that statement says at all. I read it that if for some reason you don't carry your passport with you then you should have photocopies, presumably because it would make assisting you easier if you needed to enlist the aid of the Consulate. Of course as with any ambiguous statement people will interpret it differently. Some people feel better with their passport with them at all times, some people feel better with it in the safe in their cabin. No one is going to convince either that their way is wrong.

Some countries require you carry your pzszpert when out and a when out and about. qqbout know the rees/lawws of the countries you are visiting.

Edited by sail7seas

I don't think that is what that statement says at all. I read it that if for some reason you don't carry your passport with you then you should have photocopies, presumably because it would make assisting you easier if you needed to enlist the aid of the Consulate. Of course as with any ambiguous statement people will interpret it differently. Some people feel better with their passport with them at all times, some people feel better with it in the safe in their cabin. No one is going to convince either that their way is wrong.

Some countries require you carry your passport when out and about. qqt kno the rulees/laws of the countries you are visiting.

One should always know the rules o ftheir cruise line. I think maybe ? Crystal requires a ll guests have valid pAASSPORT.

no matter a closed loop cruise and even if U.S. law does not requirep assport rf any of the coungties they afe visigtingbbg., the cruise line can set a rule of their own and if you do not comply, they can deny you boarding. bE SURE YOU KNOW if YOUR CRUI SeLINE, if YOUR CRUISE DEMANDS PASSPORT.

Edited by sail7seas

• 3 months later...

We are cruising from Port Canaveral to Eastern Caribbean and three people in our group are US citizens but only have the US Passport CARD not the Book. They called Carnival Cruise Line and they were advised that it is acceptable.

For peace of mind, can anyone confirm this or any input or opinion on this? Thanks much.

We are cruising from Port Canaveral to Eastern Caribbean and three people in our group are US citizens but only have the US Passport CARD not the Book. They called Carnival Cruise Line and they were advised that it is acceptable.

For peace of mind, can anyone confirm this or any input or opinion on this? Thanks much.

I'm sure you'll hear lots of opinions but the fact is the passport card is acceptable. In fact on this itinerary a US citizen could use a government issued birth certificate and if 16 or older a government issued photo ID.

Why would posts by anonymous individuals on the internet give you peace of mind?:confused: Carnival gave you the answer.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

Government website confirms.

FYI some cruise lines impose higher requirements then required by law. Obviously Carnival isn't one of them.

Why would posts by anonymous individuals on the internet give you peace of mind?:confused: Carnival gave you the answer.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

Government website confirms.

FYI some cruise lines impose higher requirements then required by law. Obviously Carnival isn't one of them.

Because sometimes it's nice to hear from people that have actually experienced it firsthand.

• 4 weeks later...

THIS TEXT COPIED FROM E-MAIL SENT TO US 2 OR 3 TIMES BY HAL CONCERNING OUR DECEMBER SUNFARER CRUISE (including Puerto Limon, Costa Rica)

*****IMPORTANT INFORMATION*****

Please be advised that a passport is required for all FLL-FLL voyages visiting Costa Rica whether they plan to go ashore or not.

Each country has its own entry requirements, and guests assume personal

responsibility for having the necessary documents when boarding. You may be denied boarding if you do not have the proper travel documents and in that case, you would not be entitled to a refund.