Tipping an Uber driver?

beachbum53

Hopefully, this is the right place to post this question. If you take an Uber, either from the airport to the port, or to a hotel, do you tip the driver? I've looked on Google for an answer, but found differing answers. According to one web site, the tip is included, and it's not necessary to offer a tip. Another web site says that a tip is not included, and is not necessary, but is appreciated. So, if you opt to offer a tip, how much is an appropriate amount? One web site suggested 20% of the fare. For our upcoming cruise, we'll be taking an Uber from the airport to the hotel. This will be our first time using Uber. Any helpful information regarding tipping would be appreciated. Thank-you.

Rather than simply offer an opinion is here the official word from Uber:

"While Uber does not require riders to offer drivers a cash tip, you are welcome to do so. Should you choose to tip, your driver is welcome to accept or decline. Please note that the trip fare charged to your payment account does not include a gratuity. Where available, uberTAXI is an exception."

Unlike some cruiser lines that "require" tipping (which means it is not actually tipping) Uber simply leaves it up to the rider.

Hank

Rather than simply offer an opinion is here the official word from Uber:

"While Uber does not require riders to offer drivers a cash tip, you are welcome to do so. Should you choose to tip, your driver is welcome to accept or decline. Please note that the trip fare charged to your payment account does not include a gratuity. Where available, uberTAXI is an exception."

Unlike some cruiser lines that "require" tipping (which means it is not actually tipping) Uber simply leaves it up to the rider.

Hank

Thanks. I saw that information posted on one of the web sites I found. But as I said, I also found a conflicting web site that said the tip WAS included in the fare. I have a feeling that tipping, and how much, is at the discretion of the passenger.

Tipping is at your discretion. Not tipping "may" harm your rider rating, this tends to depend on the market. I prefer lyft for the ability to tip within the app vs having to have cash on hand for tips with über.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I tend to tip because i think it is the right thing to do, especially if they get out and assist with the bags. Occasionally I won't tip on a short trip where I have no bags and the weather isn't bad. It would help if you gave more information about port, whether taking Uber or UberX, number of people, number of bags and expected distance before recommending a specific tip amount.

What I find hilarious is that if I see someone post something like

"I'm from a non tipping culture and find the whole thing confusing"

As sure as night follows day abuse will rain down, but 99% of threads asking about tipping as started by Americans.

And then you hear "when in Rome...."

But again it's obvious most Americans don't know what to do.

Crazy.

Just crazy.

I tend to tip because i think it is the right thing to do, especially if they get out and assist with the bags. Occasionally I won't tip on a short trip where I have no bags and the weather isn't bad. It would help if you gave more information about port, whether taking Uber or UberX, number of people, number of bags and expected distance before recommending a specific tip amount.

We're flying into FLL, and are staying in a hotel in Miami the night before our cruise. There will be just me and my wife, with four bags. We'll most likely use UberX. I don't know the exact mileage from the FLL aiport to downtown Miami.

Edited by beachbum53

We're flying into FLL, and are staying in a hotel in Miami the night before our cruise. There will be just me and my wife, with four bags. We'll most likely use UberX. I don't know the exact mileage from the FLL aiport to downtown Miami.

The UberX fare should be between $35-$40. I would tip between $5 and $10 depending on if they drove safely, had a clean car and helped with the bags.

You can get a fare estimate any time from the Uber app or from the website.

Neal

The confusion comes because you can't tip on the UBER app and that throws the cashless conception off. As noted above, tips are not included BUT handling your luggage is a tipped service, so tip.

OMG! I didn't know. We are not cheap people and usually tip everyone. We were told that Uber was a non tipping service because the drivers aren't working for tips, they are working for fares. They keep 80% of the fares collected. (The driver told us that) And yes, the fact that it is a cashless transaction adds to the confusion. I feel shame! I think Uber should indicate something on their site.

I have only used them twice. Both times were short distances. We got off the ship at Santa Barbara and went to the zoo. Then return trip. We had a wheel chair and 4 people. On the way I think we had to wait "almost" 3 minutes and on the return I called on the way out and the guy was there before we completely left the zoo. I think I tipped between $3 and $5.

The trip was around 2 miles.

I tip because of what the guy does. Did he show up on time? Was his car clean? Was he personable? Etc.! What did I get from the driver? If he picked me up late, didn't say a word and dropped us off - my tip would have been zero. I paid for the service, he gave me the service, nothing more, nothing less. No tip needed.

OMG! I didn't know. We are not cheap people and usually tip everyone. We were told that Uber was a non tipping service because the drivers aren't working for tips, they are working for fares. They keep 80% of the fares collected. (The driver told us that) And yes, the fact that it is a cashless transaction adds to the confusion. I feel shame! I think Uber should indicate something on their site.

UBER doesn't because LYFT does and LYFT allows tipping on the app. Remember the vast majority of UBER rides do not involve handling luggage. The UBERTaxi option supposedly allows tipping which makes sense since UBERTAXI usually can pick up at airports which has people with luggage (and luggage handling is customly tipped.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/22/travel/uber-taxi-tipping.html?_r=0

This is a nice article that captures the confusion UBER perpetuates themselves around tips.

Actually, it is 48% pretax

I feel the same way! I am a tipper, but had not realized that I should be tipping an Uber like I do a taxi!

I am grateful to the OP for bringing this topic to light!!

And it is nice to know you can add tip to Lyft. I know many drivers are both Lyft and Uber drivers.

I agree, the tip issue should be more clear and Uber should share that detail better.

I just got back from a cruise out of FLL and we used Uber 5 or 6 times. I checked their website before signing up to find out about the tipping policy. I, like others, assumed no tipping because it was presented as a cashless event. I tipped on all but one of the trips and every single driver seemed surprised. Most of our rides were under $10 and I tipped $2-3 depending on service, etc. Its easy to over-tip when you aren't paying cash for the trip itself :D Note to self: dial it back a bit lol.

FYI, we had a terrible time getting Uber from the ship back to the airport. The original driver would apparently be there within 4 minutes. He called 10 minutes later and asked what terminal. Another Five minutes later we were contacted by Uber that we had a driver that was closer and they provided the information. He would be there in 12 minutes. After 20 minutes another driver was "assigned" to us. He eventually found us but the app showed a different car and then he was upset with us when we didn't see him parked there for a bit (almost right in front of us). He called but it was very loud in the pick-up area and I was having a really hard time hearing him. Eventually we synched and were off to the airport. It was about 45 minutes from the time we originally requested a ride. Glad our flights were scheduled when they were. I was about ready to give up and hire a cab.

We also had difficulty getting a ride out of the Las Olas Blvd area. Three drivers and half hour later someone finally found us. The GPS system wasn't tracking us properly and many of the drivers don't know their way around and so didn't comprehend the markers I was giving. The driver who took us there from Dania Beach got lost and it took much longer than it should have.

I feel the same way! I am a tipper, but had not realized that I should be tipping an Uber like I do a taxi!

I am grateful to the OP for bringing this topic to light!!

And it is nice to know you can add tip to Lyft. I know many drivers are both Lyft and Uber drivers.

I agree, the tip issue should be more clear and Uber should share that detail better.

Uber are responsible for this. Lyft manage it so that Uber don't is silly

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

"Tipping for Uber is not expected."

Pretty simple! If you feel a need to tip for exceptional service - beyond rating your driver 5 stars - go ahead, give them a few bucks. Of course, if you have any cash on you...