Excel spreadsheet for packing?

mehitabel

Count me in with the responses like "A spreadsheet for packing? You are kidding me, right?". I am of the mindset that I pack, then take 1/2 out. I'll never miss what isn't there, and I never have. This works for Disney World, Las Vegas, cruising,, European vacation, etc. Life is too short to be making spreadsheets of what I need to pack. Just MHO.

I love to use excel for organzing all kinds of things. I have columns for Day, Night, Misc, and carry on. I have a small column in front of each one to check off. I have a basic packing list and just have to update it for the specific trip. I highlight items I need to purchase and remove the highlighting when I have the item.

I use excel when planning a vacation too. With columns for each day and what is planned for each day. If I need to make reservations for something I highlight it until it has been taken care of.

I don't see this as anal rentitive just organized so that I am not like the person I met on the plane to Alaska who had a tank top on and had forgotten to pack a coat.

Can you email me your spreadsheet? smdbjohn at gmail dot com Thanks

Count me in with the responses like "A spreadsheet for packing? You are kidding me, right?". I am of the mindset that I pack, then take 1/2 out. I'll never miss what isn't there, and I never have. This works for Disney World, Las Vegas, cruising,, European vacation, etc. Life is too short to be making spreadsheets of what I need to pack. Just MHO.

OK, suggestions everyone. What would you suggest taking on a TA cruise from Copenhagen in Sept. 20 2011 and a London-London cruise Oct 22-Nov 3 2012 and TA cruise London - Cape Canaveral 11/3 - 17/2012. I am trying limit my baggage to 1 carry on; maybe wearing warm clothing on the Icelandic Flight might help.

Well, I could see where that COULD be useful..I am a pretty organized person, but I just can't be bothered with going into such detail..for me there are more exciting things to do then make everythign matchy matchy on a spread sheet in the name of being organized..

I guess I'm old school..I just take a legal pad and make a list and carry it with me and check it off as I go along. I even have a differnt page for things that need to be done: household page, packing page, shopping page. Woah...:eek:

The difference to me is that you don't need a list for every cruise, it's all done. I use the same list over and over, just go in and change a few items as needed. I've used my original list for years, some things like toiletry items just don't change. No need to write out a new list each time, no need to try to remember what you need.

I print my husbands out for him when it's time to get ready for a cruise. No matter how many cruises we go on, he always asks what to take.

I still don't think I need such a detailed list with color blocks. I just list the number of things I need, such as 2 cocktail dresses. 4 pair shorts, 2 bathing suits, etc... I decide what to take when I'm pulling it out of the closet to get ready to pack. Too much detail like that would drive me bonkers. But it is like what cruise diva has on her site and my aunt likes hers better than

mine.

Actually many people on this thread didn't make a spreadsheet, they had someone email them a template of one that's already done.

While not making a packing list may work for you, not everyone shares your feelings. I prefer to make a packing list as it keeps me organized and ensures that I don't forget anything.

I happen to use Excel as it's easy to use and I can save it on my computer. Others prefer paper. Some prefer to throw items in a suitcase without a list. To each their own.

Having a list, be it Excel, Word or whatever only reminds you; I need all the help I can get in that dept. Some people are better at remembering than others. If you cruise mainly to warm climates then you basically need a change of underwear, a swimsuit, a bathroom kit, shorts & long pants. Colder climates deserve a bit more. But even then some people can wear shorts in cool weather while most people can not.

• 4 years later...
I love to use excel for organzing all kinds of things. I have columns for Day, Night, Misc, and carry on. I have a small column in front of each one to check off. I have a basic packing list and just have to update it for the specific trip. I highlight items I need to purchase and remove the highlighting when I have the item.

I use excel when planning a vacation too. With columns for each day and what is planned for each day. If I need to make reservations for something I highlight it until it has been taken care of.

I don't see this as anal rentitive just organized so that I am not like the person I met on the plane to Alaska who had a tank top on and had forgotten to pack a coat.

Would you please email me a copy of excel spreadsheet to

paulkatz8 at gmail dot com.

• 2 weeks later...
You folks realize this thread is five years old, right?

I can't resist. :)

Well, just in case others are still inquiring, I use a weekly planner (can find template online), where M-S goes across the top, and you can write underneath it. I put my daytime and nighttime clothes on there. Very similar to the example someone already submitted.

• 3 weeks later...
I do mine by daytime and evenings for each day, and I colour some items to help me figure out how to repeat them on the cruise.

I have a separate list also that lists the essentials, and then I organize the clothing in this one.

packingplan001.jpg

I LOVE this! This will help me so much!

I do mine by daytime and evenings for each day, and I colour some items to help me figure out how to repeat them on the cruise.

I have a separate list also that lists the essentials, and then I organize the clothing in this one.

packingplan001.jpg

I created a very similar sheet.

I have a couple of modifications. In the row below the port (similar to when a formal night), I put my excursion plans to remind me....do I need water shoes, hiking shoes, shorts vs long pants, poncho, etc. Excursion clothes usually can't be reworn until laundered (sweat, dirt, etc)

I also pick, on a long cruise, a day (column) for laundry. The days after laundry can repeat the clothing from before (with extras in account of ship's laundry turnaround.)

I used to plan each daily outfit but ended up just going with Tshirt1, Tshirt2, Pants1, Pants2, Swimsuit1, Swimsuit2, etc on the rows and then grabbing things out of the closet as per the proper count. (I have easy matching opportunities.)

There are extra rows at the bottom for miscellaneous items, like coat, poncho, gloves, ties, shoes, etc.

It's a lot less AR than before and really helps me not overpack.

I'm a mega planner so have to have my excel, it is a seven tab workbook. mine covers a budget with all costs and a saving plan, a packing checklist, a day by day cruise planner list that is printed on one sheet so I can add items once I'm on board plus booked excursions and entertainment/dining, I have a one sheet list that covers flights, tours, hotels etc with addresses and emergency numbers, I print two copies one for me and one to leave with my family back at home then a clothing list by day this is fluid but necessary to help minimize my packing list. My goal is a carry on suitcase a large personal item/carry on. To help with my planning I also print a copy of everything and put it in a three prong folder with the plastic sleeves. The folder includes the full itineraries/receipt/boarding passes. That combo means I can slip it in my carry on and don't have to worry about weather/water damage during travel. I tweak everything weekly/monthly as a way to stay excited and sometimes to eliminate or add items as I see tips out on the Internet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 11 months later...
I'm a mega planner so have to have my excel, it is a seven tab workbook. mine covers a budget with all costs and a saving plan, a packing checklist, a day by day cruise planner list that is printed on one sheet so I can add items once I'm on board plus booked excursions and entertainment/dining, I have a one sheet list that covers flights, tours, hotels etc with addresses and emergency numbers, I print two copies one for me and one to leave with my family back at home then a clothing list by day this is fluid but necessary to help minimize my packing list. My goal is a carry on suitcase a large personal item/carry on. To help with my planning I also print a copy of everything and put it in a three prong folder with the plastic sleeves. The folder includes the full itineraries/receipt/boarding passes. That combo means I can slip it in my carry on and don't have to worry about weather/water damage during travel. I tweak everything weekly/monthly as a way to stay excited and sometimes to eliminate or add items as I see tips out on the Internet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The excel geek in me is in awe of this. I know some people will say it is overkill, but I love it. Would love a copy, but since this post is a year old I am not very hopeful. LOL:hearteyes:

My wife makes one. Not only that but she has a few favorite clothes that she has weighed (weighs everything else too) and checks how much she wore the favorites and other types of clothes on previous trips. That way she avoids overpacking. Helps when you're travelling around the world.

I just create my own 'table/spreadsheet' - and copy it for future cruises and adjust as required. Day/activity listed which drives wardrobe choice? use this list to pack.

I also have a 'cruise travel' binder which I bring with me - emergency info, packing list, cruise boarding documents, flight info, budget list, any excursion confirmations/receipts, maps of ports etc (all with different colored tabs of course)!

Makes it so much easier to look something up or grab something when required (e.g. for each port I just take docs from that tab and/or discard when I am done making the binder much lighter on the return flight!).

I also have a dedicated 'travel' email account - I use only when on the road - so it doesn't get mixed up with all my other emails - I email myself copies of documents/info as well so I can access it at my destination if required....

I am 100% Type A and certainly go overboard with packing and planning. I mostly wear a bathing suit and cover-up all day, which makes the daytime part of my packing very simple. For dinner/nighttime outfits, I create a table on MS Word which has the following columns: outfit (a description), purse, shoes and jewelry. I lay everything out on the bed and try everything on, exactly how I would wear it on the cruise (yes, even shoes and jewelry). After I have my outfits planned, I put them in the table according to the order in which I will wear them. I make sure that I'm not wearing the same color or same shoes on back to back nights. To make matters "worse", I will plan my outfits for my December cruise at the end of summer and place them in a special area in my closet, since I will not need that wardrobe until next summer. I bring a printed out version of my table with me on the cruise, which makes getting ready extremely easy.

I'm pretty sure I know what I want/need to bring ... I just love making lists and having concrete evidence in front of me. For me, getting there really is half the fun, including all of the planning that some people might find tedious.

Thank you both for your suggestions!

Amen!

Interesting reading........I am at the other end of the spectrum. I don't make a spreadsheet, don't use one and

never have.....not something I have any desire to do. I still get excited about going on my cruises:D but having

paperwork about what to pack and wear doesn't do anything for me.

Different strokes for different folks:)

• 3 weeks later...

Omg... I feel so much better knowing I am not the only one that does this. I have a workbook in One Note with pics of the clothes I bought and what I am wearing with everything. Taking my first cruise in December. I had an eleven page itinerary for two weeks in Ireland. So I am happy for the cruise I just need to worry about clothes and getting there. It will be nice to get on the boat and not have a moment by moment plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

Dragging this thread up because this place is full of packers after my own heart!!! I can get extreme anxiety about travelling and packing, so the more I can control, the better. I am always worried that I've forgotten *something* and having a list planned out in the months leading up to a trip helps a lot. Plus I find it helps me ramp-up the passion and anticipation for each vacation!! I love packing and planning, so it just feeds the excitement.

For every trip I take (whether it be a huge cruise or a long weekend road trip) I plan outfits for each day based on planned activities, then build the packing list from that. I plan out top (shirt/dress), bottom (pants/skirt/legging/tights/whatever), undergarments (need to know if I need to pack a certain bra!), layers (cardigan/jacket/scarf), shoes, jewelry and handbag. I try to run with a colour scheme for the trip, generally based around shoes. My wardrobe consists of mostly denim, greys, blacks and jewel tones, so it all kind of goes together anyways pretty easily. I LOVE wearing dresses, especially on holiday, so I try to plan to wear each dress twice with different shoes, jewelry, scarves or what-have-you.

I use Sheets in Google Drive (that way my list is accessible from any internet-connected device), and I save an offline copy on my phone. It functions just like Excel, but is all cloud-based. I have a tab for my outfit planning and the final clothes list, a tab for toiletries (this is generally the same for all trips), a tab for electronics and documents, and a tab for my to do and shopping lists. Depending on the trip, I'll also loosely plan what items go in which suitcases and carry-on bags. This is especially handy for a hotel stay the night before a cruise, I can plan to have overnight stuff in carry-on bags so I don't even need to open up the suitcase until we get on board.