Waterproof iPhone Case

Duffysmom

My DH and I are taking a cruise to the South Pacific and I don't have an underwater camera so I purchased a waterproof case for my iPhone. I'm nervous about using it; if anyone has used a waterproof iPhone case please share your experiences using it. Thanks

Just make sure it is "water proof" and not merely "water resistant". Huge difference. I'd use Google and look for reviews of the case. Without knowing the exact brand and model I don't see how you can get much in the way of valid input.

DuffysMom: How much did you pay for your iPhone? How much did you pay for the "waterproof" case? Do you really want to risk it?

I was on the Great Barrier Reef last winter. They had waterproof cases for sale there. When I questioned the people about the results others had had with them, they basically advised against it. They weren't just concerned about the potential of water getting in, but the crush factor on the phone as the pressure goes up as you go down.

Cheers

Bill

94dffd4ab9d87bb589e80eadcbf84409.jpg

I bought this one on Amazon to use at the pool and it works great! I tested it first by putting a Kleenex inside it and then submerging, came out dry as a bone. I use even use it to take photos and video under water. Can't beat that price either!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

American friends had bought cases for their phones and tested them pre-cruise. We were anticipating doing lots of snorkelling.

When in Hawaii I saw the case I actually bought one in an ABC store in Lahaina. Tested it in our stateroom sink and used it for the rest of the trip. I was not very happy with my results underwater however as it was difficult to see the screen.

So, for us, it was not as successful as using a proper underwater camera. We have just returned from a trip to our Great Barrier Reef and bought an underwater camera. It is in a class of its own and so much easier to keep hold of and manage underwater. They are not that expensive.

What iPhone do you have? iPhone 7 and 7+ are both water resistant so with a lifeproof case I wouldn't have any concerns about it. Lifeproof cases are designed well and I have never had an issue with them, but if a little water leaks in you will be just fine.

Just remember that when you put the phone in those plastic bags, your picture quality is distorted. The bags are OK for keeping the device dry, but not so much for taking pictures. OP's best option is to invest in a camera.

• 5 months later...