Kids sail free 2014

sthb23

Good morning fellow cruisers,

The wife and I have decided we want to take out children, who will be 2 and 3 at the time on the DCL for winter 2014. Does anyone have any idea if/when the Kids Sail Free offers will be announced.

We know we're crazy, we took them to WDW this past October for 10 days.

The wife and I have decided we want to take out children, who will be 2 and 3 at the time on the DCL for winter 2014. Does anyone have any idea if/when the Kids Sail Free offers will be announced.

The KSF (as well as the other special rates) are generally announced for those cruises that aren't selling well about 45-90 days out from the specific cruises that will have them. There's really no way of knowing for sure which cruises that will be. You just have to keep an eye on the cruises that you're interested in.

Heh, we're thinking about the same thing with 3 families and 7 kids from 6 to 16. Would really love to take everyone on Dream or Fantasy but don't know if they do KSF.

Cheers,

Aaron

If I book a cruise now but later KSF is announced for the same cruise and date, will I be able to do price adjustments? Thanks!

Recently, DCL has been allowing KSF promos to be applied after PIF date. Historically, the answer has been generally no, but sometimes yes.

If you book a cruise, and KSF comes out, just call and ask.

Fantasy hasn't had trouble filling the ship, so I wouldn't expect a KSF offer there any time soon. The special has recently been offered out of Galveston and Miami. There's currently an OBC special if you book Dream in late Aug-Sept this year.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

• 1 year later...

Kids Sail Free is not what it appears to be FREE. I was booking cruise for 4 using Carnival's Kids Sail Free category and noticed they raised the rates on the 1st two passengers up $350 to make up for the kids sail free promotion, in reality this saved $29 on each kid. Kids Sail Free promotion is attached to Fun Select rates and a 8C category balcony was $1029 for the 1st two using Fun Select rates. If you go in and book the same 8C category for two people the fare is $679 each. Do the math!!! Kids in reality do not sail free!!!!

Edited by buckeyefanatic

Kids Sail Free is not what it appears to be FREE. I was booking cruise for 4 using Carnival's Kids Sail Free category and noticed they raised the rates on the 1st two passengers up $350 to make up for the kids sail free promotion, in reality this saved $29 on each kid. Kids Sail Free promotion is attached to Fun Select rates and a 8C category balcony was $1029 for the 1st two using Fun Select rates. If you go in and book the same 8C category for two people the fare is $679 each. Do the math!!! Kids in reality do not sail free!!!!

On Carnival.

Fantasy hasn't had trouble filling the ship, so I wouldn't expect a KSF offer there any time soon. The special has recently been offered out of Galveston and Miami. There's currently an OBC special if you book Dream in late Aug-Sept this year.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last year, people were required to cancel the original reservation, accept the penalty, and rebook...but were able to keep their same cabin and dinner assignment. Depending on prices, this could still be a good deal.

As to whether or not it will happen in 2014...you can only wait and see. If it happens, it will be in the fall and will likely be announced 60-75 days before the cruise.

I haven't seen this kind of stuff on DCL. KSF on DCL really means that the kids pay no cruise fare. You are charged the taxes for the kids (which are the same as the taxes on every passenger). I've never seen them up the first 2 passenger price, but can't say that I've checked every time!

You can look at it by going on line and doing a fake reservation for 2. Then do the same fake for 3 or 4 with the additional listed as a kid. The only difference should be the taxes. That can be as little as $36 per person or as much as a couple hundred depending on the cruise/length/ports.

• 3 months later...

I know a couple others already commented on this, but I HAVE to chime in. Your statement is true for CARNIVAL but NOT Disney! We have traveled on three Disney and three Carnival -- I have a review on independent traveler that compares the two and was review of the month several years ago, if you want to check it out. From what I have consistently seen (and I follow cruise prices), Disney has THE most straight-forward pricing in the business, bar none. They don't trick you by putting these price ranges, only to see when you drill down that the ranges are totally not true (RCL), and they don't double their adult prices to compensate for Kids Sail Free promos (Carnival). If you can snag a Disney KSF and your kids can get out of school during the 'off' times, do it! I will be watching, but I am not going to tell any of ya until after I book. :) ;):D

Carnival 2008

Disney 2009

Disney 2011

Carnival 2012

Carnival 2013

What is with people pulling out ancient threads today? At least this one is 2014. The earlier one was from 2006.

And no, DCL does not change their "first 2 passenger" rates when they announce a KSF special. However, the kids are not totally free--they pay no cruise fare. They still pay port charges and government taxes and fees.

Edited by moki'smommy