sideways rooms?

flarocket

I dont have a pic handy on this computer but I did stay in 1 last year. I didnt care for the layout of the room as soon as you open the door the bed was right there. The "hall" is by the bathroom seemed like there wasnt as much space. Ours was an inside on the Dawn it was just me and a friend and it was tight when we were both in the room. My friend may have some pics if she does I will have her post them

We were on the Dawn in a sideways cabin..inside.

I would not do it again. It felt cramped and awkward with the door opening at the base of a bed. We had noise problems as my bed was against a wall that had a banging sound thoughout the night...they ended up giving us an outside room to sleep in for the last few nights of the cruise.

I would go back to a traditional cabin and not a sideways one.

Hello All,

I don't have any pictures, but was recently on the Jewel in an inside sideways cabin (8573).

To me the cabin kind of felt a bit larger with the entrance on a side wall at the foot of the bed. As a previous poster mentioned, the bathroom is a bit smaller and the commode is on an angle. Otherwise, the cabinets and closets are set up a bit differently but they worked really well. One good thing about this set up was that there was a definite demarcation between the dressing area and the sleeping area, also one did not have to climb over their cabin-mate to get out of the cabin.

Hope this helps.

Edited by gmhohio

I have not been in a regular inside so can't make a good comparison, but we had a sideways inside on Dawn, near the aft elevator. It was convenient to the Versaille down the staircase, and the spa, up the staircase. But the room itself is small (I think the regular inside is also very small, though). I didn't feel there was enough closet space at the end of the "hall" in front of the bathroom. The bath in ours was plenty big, nice glass door to the shower.

I'd read here that some people felt there was more room to walk in the sideways inside. There were only 2 of us, and we slept in the single beds on opposite walls. There is a trundle bed under one bed, so suitcases could only be put under one bed. With the trundle up there'd be wall to wall beds. The 4th person would sleep in a pullman. Pretty tight!

There is no chair. There is a little stool only. Since they've now removed the coffee pot you will have a tiny bit more room on the "desk/vanity."

It is impossible for one person to access the closet if the bathroom door is open while the other person is going back and forth getting ready.

As others have stated we don't have a cabin picture that truly shows. We only took pictures of towel animals.

On the Dawn the door opened right by the foot of the bed and there was a small "hall area" to the left where the bathroom and closet were. The bathroom was a little smaller than other inside cabins we have had. Also, the bathroom door was so close in the "hall" area that one couldn't look in the closet if the bathroom door was open.

You did need to remember to stand in that area to dress/change as if the door were to open you would be fully exposed.

We will continue to book inside cabins as they are a true savings (Spend less, cruise more!) but I might think twice about the sideways cabin in the future.

They're larger and usually off by themselves. Everytime I've been on the Spirit, I've booked cabin 10351...when you're in bed, your head is to the aft, if there's any rough weather you are going with the ship..no side motion. I hear they may be charging more for them..Barb;)

It was daughter and myself staying in the cabin, we found it to be a bit tight by the bathroom, vanity and closet area.

We liked it because it is the only cabin in the hallway. The room next door is used by the stewards, be prepared to wake up early from the noise. I used them as my alarm clock each morning. Also door across from cabin is used by staff (stairwell).

I would not have more than two people staying in that cabin, mainly because of the bathroom, vanity, closet area.

We were obstructed view, yet we had a small lifeboat outside our window we were able to look straight through the lifeboat's door to the ocean.

I believe the cabin on the Gem and Pearl are the same.

I have pics of 8066 on the Gem. E mail me. Pixiedustdawn @ msn .com

We were on the Dawn in a sideways cabin..inside.

I would not do it again. It felt cramped and awkward with the door opening at the base of a bed. We had noise problems as my bed was against a wall that had a banging sound thoughout the night...they ended up giving us an outside room to sleep in for the last few nights of the cruise.

I would go back to a traditional cabin and not a sideways one.

We also had noise issues with our sideways room on the Jade and were moved after 2 nights of no sleep (I am a light sleeper)

I did like the layout of the room - here are a couple of photos

IMG_2610.JPG

cruise%20pics%20from%20my%20camera%20084.jpg

Sounds like some people really like them and some do not. We are booked in a sideways obstructed view for our upcoming Pearl cruise. Found a few pictures of the cabin next door on cruise stateroom. Our PCC says the layout seems to be roomier to her. She is looking to see if she has any photos from the Jewel. I will definately be taking some since they seem to be rare. :)

It was daughter and myself staying in the cabin, we found it to be a bit tight by the bathroom, vanity and closet area.

We liked it because it is the only cabin in the hallway. The room next door is used by the stewards, be prepared to wake up early from the noise. I used them as my alarm clock each morning. Also door across from cabin is used by staff (stairwell).

I would not have more than two people staying in that cabin, mainly because of the bathroom, vanity, closet area.

We were obstructed view, yet we had a small lifeboat outside our window we were able to look straight through the lifeboat's door to the ocean.

I believe the cabin on the Gem and Pearl are the same.

I have pics of 8066 on the Gem. E mail me. Pixiedustdawn @ msn .com

Pixiedustdawn: Were you on the Carnival Miracle last July?

Pixiedustdawn: Were you on the Carnival Miracle last July?

That was me!!!

I really enjoyed that cruise. I loved Grand Turk and their private island. Thinking of maybe squeezing one in again this summer.

Hope to see you again on another cruise! I see you are on the NCL Spirit this year. Enjoy her, she is a favorite of mine. I found her to be very quaint and loved her. Don't forget to climb down the spiral stairs to the little museum they have onboard.

Dawn

Edited by pixiedustdawn

That was me!!!

I really enjoyed that cruise. I loved Grand Turk and their private island. Thinking of maybe squeezing one in again this summer.

Hope to see you again on another cruise! I see you are on the NCL Spirit this year. Enjoy her, she is a favorite of mine. I found her to be very quaint and loved her. Don't forget to climb down the spiral stairs to the little museum they have onboard.

Dawn

Hi Dawn! How could you possibly "squeeze" in another cruise this summer? Are you really cruising the whole month of August? WOW!

Yes, DH & I are sailing 6/11 on the Spirit out of Boston (we only live about an hour away). I can't wait!

The Miracle cruise last July was our 1st cruise & I was instantly hooked! We had a balcony cabin, which was awesome, but we decided to be somewhat frugal this time & booked an inside cabin. We only plan on being in the cabin for sleep, shower, etc., and if we absolutely HATE it then we'll know for next time.

We chose cabin #9611, which is a sideways cabin smack dab mid-ship. Somebody posted that the bed set-up had their head aft. Do you know if this is true? And, in your opinion, is it better to rock head to toe or side to side? Not that anything can be done about it.

How do you like NCL's Dawn? I see that will be the ship out of Boston to Bermuda in 2011. Thinking it might be my next cruise maybe in Sept/Oct '11.

Have fun on your cruise next week!

Sally

Hi Dawn! How could you possibly "squeeze" in another cruise this summer? Are you really cruising the whole month of August? WOW!

Yes, DH & I are sailing 6/11 on the Spirit out of Boston (we only live about an hour away). I can't wait!

The Miracle cruise last July was our 1st cruise & I was instantly hooked! We had a balcony cabin, which was awesome, but we decided to be somewhat frugal this time & booked an inside cabin. We only plan on being in the cabin for sleep, shower, etc., and if we absolutely HATE it then we'll know for next time.

We chose cabin #9611, which is a sideways cabin smack dab mid-ship. Somebody posted that the bed set-up had their head aft. Do you know if this is true? And, in your opinion, is it better to rock head to toe or side to side? Not that anything can be done about it.

How do you like NCL's Dawn? I see that will be the ship out of Boston to Bermuda in 2011. Thinking it might be my next cruise maybe in Sept/Oct '11.

Have fun on your cruise next week!

Sally

Hi Sally,

The cabin you have chosen 9611, I believe is right next to the elevators and very convenient. I prefer midship/aft cabins. Whether the beds are facing aft or forward has never been a concern for me. And I am sure you will be fine either way. I just would never intentionally book a cabin all the way forward. I seem to feel that motion more for some reason when I sail all the way forward.

I have stayed in the inside sideways cabin on the Dawn and have photos of those cabins as well. I believe it was the same type of a cabin (as you have on the Spirit) with the third bed which is a bunk from the ceiling. We also had a trundle under the bed.

I also loved sailing on the Dawn. We did the Dawn down to the Bahamas and Bermuda.

Thanks for the well wishes for my cruise next week.

Have fun on your cruises, and hope to meet up with you again.

Dawn

Hi Sally,

The cabin you have chosen 9611, I believe is right next to the elevators and very convenient. I prefer midship/aft cabins. Whether the beds are facing aft or forward has never been a concern for me. And I am sure you will be fine either way. I just would never intentionally book a cabin all the way forward. I seem to feel that motion more for some reason when I sail all the way forward.

I have stayed in the inside sideways cabin on the Dawn and have photos of those cabins as well. I believe it was the same type of a cabin (as you have on the Spirit) with the third bed which is a bunk from the ceiling. We also had a trundle under the bed.

I also loved sailing on the Dawn. We did the Dawn down to the Bahamas and Bermuda.

Dawn

Yes, our cabin appears to be right around the corner from the elevator, which will be so much easier, especially when I'm a little (or a lot) tipsy. :D

Perhaps someday we will end up on the same cruise again - you never know. I've never been to Bermuda & this will only be my 2nd cruise, but I can see myself going to Bermuda again on the Dawn out of Boston, or maybe somewhere on the Gem out of NY someday.

For now I'd prefer to sail from the East Coast so we can drive to the port because I absolutely HATE to fly.

I see you're going on NCL Epic in July. Do you usually write/post reviews of your cruises? Would love to hear about your experience & see pics!

Yes, our cabin appears to be right around the corner from the elevator, which will be so much easier, especially when I'm a little (or a lot) tipsy. :D

Perhaps someday we will end up on the same cruise again - you never know. I've never been to Bermuda & this will only be my 2nd cruise, but I can see myself going to Bermuda again on the Dawn out of Boston, or maybe somewhere on the Gem out of NY someday.

For now I'd prefer to sail from the East Coast so we can drive to the port because I absolutely HATE to fly.

I see you're going on NCL Epic in July. Do you usually write/post reviews of your cruises? Would love to hear about your experience & see pics!

I would love to do a live post from the ship if I have time. (the ship is huge, so much to see and do)

I know once I get home I won't have a chance, since I am off to the next vacation.

Gem will be doing Bermuda soon too.

• 6 months later...
Hi Sally,

Dawn

Dawn, would you be willing to share your photos of the sideways inside cabin? My family and I are all traveling together in January on the Star and have several sideways cabins booked. I had heard they the layout made them a little roomier...I would love to be able to show them some pics...Thanks so much!

• 4 years later...

Hi, I am in sideways room 8066 on the norwegian gem this coming feb. I did a Google search trying to find some pictures of the obstructed view sideways rooms and came across this post from a few years ago. Does anyone have any pics of these types of rooms??

Edited by Megn2414