Obese passengers and wall-mounted toilets

Carpy the Cat

This is kind of embarrassing to ask but I'm a big girl (like over 300 pounds big) and I'm having some serious anxiety about the wall-mounted toilet in our stateroom. I've heard stories of larger people breaking them from the wall and I wanted to know if the ones on RCI Anthem of the Seas had any sort of weight limit? Anyone else my size or bigger have any experience with the wall-mounted toilets on Royal Caribbean that can put my fears to bed? I've tried to find the answer on my own including calling RCI for the answer and nothing. I'm sure I'm not the only one concerned about this. Help!!!

This is kind of embarrassing to ask but I'm a big girl (like over 300 pounds big) and I'm having some serious anxiety about the wall-mounted toilet in our stateroom. I've heard stories of larger people breaking them from the wall and I wanted to know if the ones on RCI Anthem of the Seas had any sort of weight limit? Anyone else my size or bigger have any experience with the wall-mounted toilets on Royal Caribbean that can put my fears to bed? I've tried to find the answer on my own including calling RCI for the answer and nothing. I'm sure I'm not the only one concerned about this. Help!!!

I would say that any stories of breaking a toilet off the bulkhead are urban legends. Naturally, the weight limit is not a readily available technical term, but I have found one for the most commonly used toilet in the cruise industry, and it is 600 lbs. There is a steel frame on the other side of the wall that the toilet is bolted to, and you would either have to shear these two bolts, or tear the welded angle iron out of the deck to tear a toilet off the bulkhead.

I would say that any stories of breaking a toilet off the bulkhead are urban legends. Naturally, the weight limit is not a readily available technical term, but I have found one for the most commonly used toilet in the cruise industry, and it is 600 lbs. There is a steel frame on the other side of the wall that the toilet is bolted to, and you would either have to shear these two bolts, or tear the welded angle iron out of the deck to tear a toilet off the bulkhead.

Thank you for taking the time to ease this young ladies concern.

You could also consider the rental (or purchase and take with you) of an over-toilet bariatric commode chair that has the weight capacity you need. Here is an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Medline-Guardian-G30213-1F-Bedside-Commode/dp/B009OGYTO4/ref=pd_sbs_121_5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=G9QZHH5CGZYVSW62SQ7J

I think at my peak weight on any cruise was around 360. I didn't even hear a groan from the toilet;p I think especially if you have a HC room they have reinforcements. AND don't do as I did and run across the state room and bound in the air and land on the toilet. It hurts and don't ask me how I know!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also over 300 and never have had a problem on Royal or Carnival (NCL... the bathroom set up is not great for large person... ) I did read once that a lady was fearful and she went to guest services and asked for something like a block of wood be placed under the toilet. She had no problems after all but felt safer.

Believe me you will see your fair share of over 300lb. people on board. Do not worry. Public restrooms on ships are tiny. Try to use the handicap RR if possible or the one in your cabin. Experience speaking here.

Carpy,

We haven't been on the Anthem OTS but have been on many of the RC ships. We had a friend who was very concerned as well, he was 6'6" and 600#. This was also his major concern, but he had no problems. This was on the Jewel OTS, so an older ship than Anthem. Just go and plan to enjoy yourself!

Alan

• 4 weeks later...