The Official Visiting Santa Barbara Thread

Lookinf for a car rental company near the tender dock. Looks like Hertz has one on State St? And at 633 East Cabrillo Bvld.

How far to get to/from the the tender dock to the 633 addy?

We are looking to go to Solvang (sp?) for a few hours...Would it be better to catch a cab/shuttle to the airport and rent there?

Lookinf for a car rental company near the tender dock. Looks like Hertz has one on State St? And at 633 East Cabrillo Bvld.

How far to get to/from the the tender dock to the 633 addy?

We are looking to go to Solvang (sp?) for a few hours...Would it be better to catch a cab/shuttle to the airport and rent there?

The closest rental car agency to the tender drop off point is Hertz at the Amtrak Station on State Street. The tender drops you off at Sea Landing which is about at Cabrillo Blvd. and Bath Street. Walk along Cabrillo towards Stearns Wharf about three blocks, then turn left on State Street at the Dolphin Fountain. Go about two blocks up State Street and the Amtrak Station is on your left at the first signal. This is about a 10-15 minute walk. The airport is 10-15 miles from the harbor and you would have an expensive cab fare to get there.

It is about 35 miles to Solvang and takes about 45 minutes to drive there. The safest most level route is north on Hwy 101. You have beautiful ocean views most of the way on this route. You can also take the more treacherous San Marcos Pass over the mountains, which is scenic, but I do not recommend this mountain road. There are a lot of accidents on that road.

I highly recommend the danish pastries at Mortensen's in Solvang.

Edited by Princess Patches

Thanks for the quick reply.

I looked at the Hertz on State St., but it said....

"PLEASE NOTE: There is not a vehicle rental office at this location. This vehicle may need to be coordinated for pick-up and/or drop-off."

So I wasn't sure if it was a 'real' agency???

Good to note about the San Marcos Pass (I presume this is hwy 154?) over the mountains...we were going to drive that way up and HWY 101 on the way back. Why is it so dangerous? I see it is not a divided highway..used to those. Curvy? Bad weather? Insane drivers? Animals? We have divided highways here that have accidents monthly, if not weekly...doesn't stop us from driving on them...Now...if it because of gang violance and we'll end up driving through a shooting..then we may have to rethink our plans! (Just joking)....

Kind of makes the difference on our decision.

Thanks.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I looked at the Hertz on State St., but it said....

"PLEASE NOTE: There is not a vehicle rental office at this location. This vehicle may need to be coordinated for pick-up and/or drop-off."

So I wasn't sure if it was a 'real' agency???

Good to note about the San Marcos Pass (I presume this is hwy 154?) over the mountains...we were going to drive that way up and HWY 101 on the way back. Why is it so dangerous? I see it is not a divided highway..used to those. Curvy? Bad weather? Insane drivers? Animals? We have divided highways here that have accidents monthly, if not weekly...doesn't stop us from driving on them...Now...if it because of gang violance and we'll end up driving through a shooting..then we may have to rethink our plans! (Just joking)....

Kind of makes the difference on our decision.

Thanks.

You will have to call up Hertz to find out how they coordinate the pick up at the Amtrak Station. If you do not like their response, then the next closest rental agency of the ones you mentioned would be at the Fess Parker Resort on Cabrillo. You can take the Electric Shuttle for 50 cents that runs along Cabrillo and there is a drop off in front of the Fess Parker Resort. The ride on the shuttle is just a few minutes, but you might have to wait 20 minutes for the shuttle to show up.

Hwy 154 (San Marcos Pass) is not divided. It is narrow, winding, and steep. This makes it very accident prone. If you decide you want to take it for the scenery or because you like mountain drives, I would advise taking it on the way to Solvang (you will be on the inside lane) and then Hwy 101 on the return.

I agree 100% with Princess about HWY 154. I much prefer the 101 drive, mostly for the two lane divided highway along the pristine Gaviota coast, but also because it's so much safer than the 154. What do you plan to do in Solvang?

Edited by SBAnt
Added Gaviota

Thanks for the info on the rental cars..I'll have to call.

Hwy 154 sounds like many of the roads we have driven on in the past. Thanks for the info on conditions. If we do take it, we will use it to drive to Solvang. Is it still about a 45 minute drive?

Funny that the two lane divided hwy is 'safer'...yet here lots of accidents happen on these highways...probably due to speeding, cell phones etc....

As for Solvang...haven't decided exactly yet...Have any suggestions?

Well, it kind of depends on what you're looking for. There are plenty of places to wine taste in town and nearby, and I can happily recommend several tasting rooms in Los Olivos (a nearby town). If you are looking to walk around a quaint Danish town, then Solvang is your place, it's an interesting mix of Danish themed stuff and small town feel. There are definitely places to try Danish pastries if that's something you're interested in.

Great! Not interested in wine tasting..not really our thing (not that we don't enjoy a good glass of wine!). Walking around a quiant Danish town is exactly what we are looking for. Danish pastries? Definitely! Any suggestions for specific places to visit/walk around? Have lunch at? Park?! We are looking for a central place to start and mosey our way around the main 'downtown' or most scenic/interesting part of town..have lunch, then leave.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions :)

I agree 100% with Princess about HWY 154. I much prefer the 101 drive, mostly for the two lane divided highway along the pristine Gaviota coast, but also because it's so much safer than the 154. What do you plan to do in Solvang?

I have to say that I love taking Hwy 154 (San Marcos Pass). This area is one of Southern California's most beautiful. The Santa Ynez Valley where you turn off to Solvang is really picturesque. I think it's safe enough if you're cautious and don't EVER try to pass without a passing lane. However, I have to say that I live about an hour south of Santa Barbara and don't hear the local news about accidents like you guys that live in Santa Barbara.

San Marcos Pass does offer some beautiful views of the area, particularly from the bridge heading down into the Santa Ynes Valley. Unfortunately, good places to stop and take it all in (and maybe a photo) are few and far between and you don't want to divert your attention from the road. If you do take the 154, definitely do it on the way to the Valley and take the 101 back. That way you'll be on the ocean side of the highway on the way back and the inside of San Marcos Pass. Give yourself plenty of time to get there and back in case there are construction delays on the 101 or an accident on the 154.

I'm not sure if there will be any tour operators at the tender dock with tours to Solvang. If you want to go to Solvang, I would look online, because most tours that head up to the Santa Ynez Valley are wine-tasting tours that I don't think spend much time (if any) in Solvang.

Thank you so much for the helpful information. We are renting a car at Hertz which we are told is located in the Fess Parker Doubletree Hotel. Is this within a walk of where the tenders drop you off?

We are planning to drive out to Solvang, then possibly wineries. Are the Santa Ynez wineries close to Solvang?

Thank you!!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Fess Parker is a good distance from the tender point. I would recommend the 50 cent shuttle that will take you along the waterfront and save you a mile of walking and some time. Also, there are lots of wineries very close (<5 miles) to Solvang. I enjoy Sunstone, Byron and Evans Ranch.

• 2 weeks later...
I will be doing a Coastal cruise with friends next Sept, driving time I am 200 miles South of you. We will be spending about 9 hours in your beautiful city, until 8 PM.

Well, I certainly hope you enjoy your day in paradise. If you have any questions, please post them and I will try to help. I have done the coastal cruise twice and loved it.

The tenders pick up and drop off at the Sea Landing, #18 on this map:

Map

It's 0.4 miles along Cabrillo Blvd. from the Sea Landing to Helena Ave., so 5-10 minutes of walking.

Edited by SBAnt
Link was broken

Back from our California Coastal cruise and we loved loved loved Santa Barbara. We rented a car, drove out to Solvang, shopped and ate pastry, then drove back, returned the car and walked all around the State Street area...such an enjoyable day.

I was however kind of surprised at the amount of homeless, panhandlers, etc. I'm not used to Things in Caifornia, so maybe this is the norm, but we were surprised, especially those in the park area just along the lovely beach in Santa Barbara.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I'm glad to hear you found Santa Barbara as great as I do. The homeless in California are a problem for the same reason we have tourism, the weather is almost always nice. As a result, our homeless don't move out of the area. I'm always saddened that the city isn't better able to move the homeless out of the tourism areas and into shelters more effectively, but you can only try to help people so much. It's a problem for many SoCal cities, and one that all of us wish would be solved because of the effect on our city's image.