Cruising Journals

JanetMarie

HI all,

I think I wrote on this thread a long time ago and was reading through it again.

I love to journal on board and I journal all over the ship.

Here are some items that some of you may find useful. They are at Archiver's (probably other places) that I just got in my email. The first one is Ditto by Hampton Arts and it looks like a journal, scrapbook, and calendar all in one. The other one is Fancy Pants Design bragbook, where you can do a lot of journaling.

I haven't tried any of these but they really look like they could be great.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this sounds really lame...like I need to get a life or something...but

I like to buy small 'mole' books at target or Barnes and Noble type bookstores. They are about the size of the old passbook savings account books used by banks [a while back] they are about the size of an index card about 3" by 4" or so and have about 50-75 perforated pages in them, they fit nicely in my small purse or tote bag.

Before the cruise I decorate them, I also print out ships deck plans, maps of the ports we are visiting, historical information about the places we are going etc, and paste or tape them in the book...it's very handy to look over while we are in port.

I also have all our travel information in one place when planning our cruise [it's come in handy for lost reservations confirmiton #'s etc... I have a copy of them in my book as well as my travel file that I keep set sail passes etc in], I put information about excursions etc in them, I leave a page or two each day for 'journaling'. when I get home it serves as a reminder for my scrapbooking etc. I also keep them as memorabilia as well, to remember the fun I had planning for the trip and the trip itself. I often refer back to them when planning my next big adventure.

• 4 weeks later...
I know this sounds really lame...like I need to get a life or something...but

I like to buy small 'mole' books at target or Barnes and Noble type bookstores. They are about the size of the old passbook savings account books used by banks [a while back] they are about the size of an index card about 3" by 4" or so and have about 50-75 perforated pages in them, they fit nicely in my small purse or tote bag.

Before the cruise I decorate them, I also print out ships deck plans, maps of the ports we are visiting, historical information about the places we are going etc, and paste or tape them in the book...it's very handy to look over while we are in port.

I also have all our travel information in one place when planning our cruise [it's come in handy for lost reservations confirmiton #'s etc... I have a copy of them in my book as well as my travel file that I keep set sail passes etc in], I put information about excursions etc in them, I leave a page or two each day for 'journaling'. when I get home it serves as a reminder for my scrapbooking etc. I also keep them as memorabilia as well, to remember the fun I had planning for the trip and the trip itself. I often refer back to them when planning my next big adventure.

I use one of those also. When I get home I throw it in a tote with all the rest. I am going to eventually type them all out but I have only done a few so far.

Its fun to look back at them. Some cruises are so busy I come home without hardly anything written in my book.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, just spent a few hours reading all the information here, started a few years back, that's cool. I've been scrapbooking and journaling since my first trip to London in 1982. Of course they didn't have all the nifty scrapbook pages, stickers etc that they have, any kind of decoration just had to be cut out of a magazine for instance.

One thing that has helped me the most, and I don't think my albums would be as comprehensive these days is that I now bring a small tape recorder with me, like a dictation recorder, and describe what I am seeing, doing, eating and experiencing as I go along. I can do it in "real time" in restaurants, sitting on a bench in the sun, in a club so I get some of the music etc.

Then afterwords I just transcribe the tapes into my journal and it makes scrapbooking or photo albums a snap. I can "dictate" a full description of what I am taking photos of. Someone up thread said that one island can look like another when photographing it from the ship. You can even get the bartenders, waiters or anyone interesting to give you a "cheery Hello" on tape then take their photo. I know this has nothing to do with cruising but two of my favorite memories "on tape" is the announcement to "Mind the Gap" down in the tube stations and recording Capitol One off the radio with all the 80's big-hair bands. (London)

Thanks again for keeping this thread going, I have 17 days to go for my next cruise!

Edited by TravelRocker

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've always wanted to keep a little journal of my travels but have never actually done it. You all have inspired me!

I would love it if any of you would be willing to post a sample journal entry. Nothing too private of course. ;)

• 1 month later...

cjc cruiser-I bought a Smashbook and I'm making it my 2012 journal and memory book. I love the concept of just smashing things in randomly and not following any rules. This way I can utilize all the stickers and other embellishments that my daughter passed along to me. I have pictures, postcards, restaurant business cards, bar coasters, birthday wishes, ribbons,and too many other things to mention. I love that it totally me and not someone else's idea of a perfect layout.

I've already purchased another one for my next cruise. I've also gone thru my stash of scrapbook supplies that I'll be able to use with it. My plan is to pre-design the book to a point so I can just take it along and glue my memorabilia in as we go. When we get home I'll order the pictures to go along with the other memories.

I've always been a procrastinator with many unfinished products, but these books make it OK to be kind of crazy with your creations. Anything goes!

• 6 months later...

What I do is take a few ziplock baggies along for momentos. Shells, a little sand, also I try to remember a clean napkin from a restaurant (fold one and put it in your purse right when you think of it), anything small enough to put on a scrapbook page or take a photo of for digital photobooks. They add alot to your projects and hold memories for you. We are beginning to plan a cruise for this December. You can start a photobook right now and journal your planning thoughts, then continue it after you get back with all your photos and momentos. :) Have a great time.

• 5 months later...

Here's a link to the company that produces the SMASH books. http://www.eksuccessbrands.com/kandcompany/smash/ My 30's something daughter used this system to document her trip to Ireland. It is basically an unstructured way to scrapbook - just "smash" your pics and memorbilia in the book! Michaels carry these products (don't forget to use a coupon) as well as their own Recollections line. This is a very popular concept so other companies got on the band wagon. DD is starting to use the SN@P system by Simple Stories because the binder is a ring system instead of a coil so one can add extra pages. Here's a link: Sorry but the link didn't look right so I've removed it but if you go onto the Simple Stories website, you will find SN@P Becky Higgins has a line called Project Life. Here's a link: http://www.beckyhiggins.com/products/what-is-project-life.php (also carried by Michaels but would check out your LSS which could be cheaper). It is a great and very quick way to scrapbook. I also like what Heidi Swapp does as well with her memory files plus she also has a mini album.

The concept of all of these is to make recording of one's memories fun and easy. So, if time is tight, maybe one of these will appeal to your creativity. Happy Scrapping.

Sandy :)

Edited by Northern Light
links were incorrect

I know this is an old thread but I'd love to hear more about these "smash books"...I love to scrapbook and have loads of stuff...just not loads of time :) LOL

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You can also do a search on youtube where many people have shared their projects. You'll get lots of ideas for smashing the most into your books. I have one completed and 2 in progress. I actually took mine along on our Allure cruise as well as some minimal supplies and was able to get several pages completed. You can also pre-smash before an event with title pages, etc. I find this way of scrapbooking easy and fun.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have been keeping a daily journal for about 20 years. I keep my travel journals in separate books from the daily ones though.

I have just started copying the journals on to my computer adding photographs, then I print them out and ring bind them. The diary I am working on at the moment is of a 10 night holiday in China 2003.

• 4 months later...

Just found this thread and have enjoyed all the good ideas!

I'm not very good at "real" journaling, so I also do the Smashbook route. Sometimes I use an actual Smashbook (the smallest one) and other times I make my own using random scrapbook cardstock and one of those small binders from the office supply store that holds 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 pages. The fun thing about those binders is that the front cover is a clear pocket that let's you create a custom cover.

All I take with me is a glue stick and a pen and a roll of washi tape with the book. (The washi tape is great for adhering one edge of a piece of paper that you want to be able to flip to see the front and back of.) I jot notes, stick in things like the umbrella from my first drink, receipts of stuff I bought, etc. It's small enough that I can carry it with me and stick stuff in or write stuff down as it happens, so I don't forget.

I don't do much to the pages ahead of time as my "stuff" will be the decoration. I might do a little stamping but that's about it.

This is the method that works for me and it is fun to have all the little memorabilia to look at later.

Edited by Forchunut1

I'm continuing my Smashbooks but I've also decided to try Project Life this year. I'm not doing the picture a day like some do. I plan to use it as a photo album and journal for the year. I'm packing some journal cards so I can fill them in on our upcoming cruises which begin later this month. I'll also pick up some memorabilia and utilize that too. Sometimes its nice to change things up a bit and since I have several unfinished projects I decided to go easy-peasy this year.

I've got my cards packed, a tape runner, a few makers, scissors and a glue stick. I plan to attend the scrapbooking sessions on Explorer just to see what they have to offer. When I get home it will be time to do some serious catching up.

Just found this thread and have enjoyed all the good ideas!

I'm not very good at "real" journaling, so I also do the Smashbook route. Sometimes I use an actual Smashbook (the smallest one) and other times I make my own using random scrapbook cardstock and one of those small binders from the office supply store that holds 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 pages. The fun thing about those binders is that the front cover is a clear pocket that let's you create a custom cover.

All I take with me is a glue stick and a pen and a roll of washi tape with the book. (The washi tape is great for adhering one edge of a piece of paper that you want to be able to flip to see the front and back of.) I jot notes, stick in things like the umbrella from my first drink, receipts of stuff I bought, etc. It's small enough that I can carry it with me and stick stuff in or write stuff down as it happens, so I don't forget.

I don't do much to the pages ahead of time as my "stuff" will be the decoration. I might do a little stamping but that's about it.

This is the method that works for me and it is fun to have all the little memorabilia to look at later.

I like your idea of making your own Smash-type book. It really is a fun way to preserve memories.

• 1 year later...

Have I told you gals what I do for our cabin door? I make a poster board at home and tie a writing implement to it. Naturally, I decorate the poster board to reflect where DH and I are from, etc., and folks come along and sign the board! It's really cool to come back to your cabin each day/night and see what others have written. I've merged this into my journal, once back home!

Enjoy sailing the high seas, my friends!

• 1 month later...

Has anyone used a Filofax or similar for their onboard notes etc and then perhaps incorporated iton a scrap book or jouranl on return home?

Sandy in Spain

• 4 weeks later...

I am not sure if anyone follows this thread anymore. For what it is worth, i have kept one since 2006. It too is leather bound with hand sewn pages. Along with what others have contributed. I add snippets to of things i want to remember for my next cruise. For instance "bring a coffee mug" I always read my journal before the next trip. My only problem is that some days I am too exhausted from the days activities to write and I put it off 'till the next day.

• 7 months later...

A new thing I recently started doing onboard was picture taking, to add to my scrapbook. I get a real close up shot of, say, the ship bell, and I try to think of creative things to add to that page in reference to the ship's bell. This has made me search for some pretty cool things. Sometimes it takes awhile to find exactly what I want to put on the page, but it makes it fun. Happy sailing!