Fort Lauderdale hotel with shuttle to Port of Miami?

RuxieGirl

Has anyone chosen to stay overnight in Fort Lauderdale and stayed at a hotel that drove you for free to the Port of Miami?

We found one, the Comfort Inn, but does anyone know of any others? We will be flying into Ft. Lauderdale late on a Friday evening and prefer to stay there before heading down to our cruise in Miami.

Thanks for sharing, if you have any information.

As mentioned, the Florida departures board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

is the best place, as this topic is discussed daily.

Also, as mentioned, it is a 45 minute drive between the two. So, no one offers a free shuttle. However, occaisionally, you might see a hotel rate where a shuttle is included, but the room rate is higher to cover the cost.

Has anyone chosen to stay overnight in Fort Lauderdale and stayed at a hotel that drove you for free to the Port of Miami?

We found one, the Comfort Inn, but does anyone know of any others? We will be flying into Ft. Lauderdale late on a Friday evening and prefer to stay there before heading down to our cruise in Miami.

Are you sure they will drive you to the Port of Miami for free? This is a 45-60 minute drive and there are no hotels that do this free as far as I know. Maybe they told you they had a shuttle but it will be for a charge. Or is it possible that they have a free ride to Pt Everglades in Ft Lauderdale? Some of the hotels have a free ride to Pt Everglades, but not Miami.

Edited by Marie51

Are you sure they will drive you to the Port of Miami for free? This is a 45-60 minute drive and there are no hotels that do this free as far as I know. Maybe they told you they had a shuttle but it will be for a charge. Or is it possible that they have a free ride to Pt Everglades in Ft Lauderdale? Some of the hotels have a free ride to Pt Everglades, but not Miami.

Sorry, I can repost. The Comfort Inn has a "Port of Miami Package" that includes a shuttle to the port, so no it's not free. Sorry, I wasn't clear at all in my original post.

So yes, there are definitely hotels that do this, but I'm sure they aren't free, just included in the room rate. I am looking for one of those. The Comfort Inn won't allow us to book until April, so I was seeing what other options are open.

Will repost to the Florida boards, thanks everyone!

Sorry, I can repost. The Comfort Inn has a "Port of Miami Package" that includes a shuttle to the port, so no it's not free. Sorry, I wasn't clear at all in my original post.

So yes, there are definitely hotels that do this, but I'm sure they aren't free, just included in the room rate. I am looking for one of those. The Comfort Inn won't allow us to book until April, so I was seeing what other options are open.

Will repost to the Florida boards, thanks everyone!

The cost of using a shuttle may be less than whatever the hotel charges for their shuttle that comes with the package.

I would not exert any energy looking for a hotel with such a service. There are plenty of shuttle services (i.e. SAS) that will pick you up at any Ft. Lauderdale Hotel and take you to Port of Miami inexpensively. Just choose a hotel you want to stay in based on other factors and then arrange transportation with a shuttle service. Otherwise you will be extremely limited in hotel selection and probably overpay and/or have a crappy hotel.

If you are flying into FLL and sailing out of POM, another option is to rent a car at FLL. Hertz has a location close to the POM and they offer a shuttle from their location to POM. I only paid $30 last month (Feb 2012) for a rental car for the 1 day rental, and it was great as it gave us the freedom to go out a little way for the hotel and stop and get what we had forgotten without paying extra for a taxi. If you have a VISA card, look on the VISA site for a coupon.

There is a gas station about 2 blocks from the Hertz location.

If you are flying into FLL and sailing out of POM, another option is to rent a car at FLL. Hertz has a location close to the POM and they offer a shuttle from their location to POM. I only paid $30 last month (Feb 2012) for a rental car for the 1 day rental, and it was great as it gave us the freedom to go out a little way for the hotel and stop and get what we had forgotten without paying extra for a taxi. If you have a VISA card, look on the VISA site for a coupon.

There is a gas station about 2 blocks from the Hertz location.

This is a great idea, except there will either be 6 or 10 of us, with all our bags. If we can find a decent price on a van or two, we would be OK with this.

• 4 months later...

I have never had it take 45 minutes to 1 hour to get from FLL to the port in Miami. Most of our trips have been 30-35 minutes. We must be on a lucky streak.

One year when we had 7 pax we did a limo which was about $120, about the same thing as paying for the shuttle transfers.

Last year we stayed at the Rodeway Inn, Fort Lauderdale. Reasonable rate they offered shuttle for additional $20 to Miami. Very organized in their shuttle service to FLL-did'nt really pay that much attention to the Miami.

• 4 months later...

There are almost no hotel that will take you for free to Mia Port you have to choices stay in Miami at any hotel close to the port or you can book a private shuttle service http://www.vipfloridashuttle.com or 954 4796867 thst will take your party to mia port

• 1 year later...

I found the same one. The Comfort Inn is now a Quality Inn. I have a package on reserve, but cont to search in case I find a better deal as this hotel has mixed reviews on Trip Advisor. I have searched on MANY websites & made multiple phone calls and cannot find any other hotel with a cruise package to the Port of Miami. They all recommend a cab which can run approx $100. I would also do the other recommendation of the SAS transportation if you stay anywhere else. :)

• 2 years later...
I was wondering if there are any updated suggestions as this thread looked older. Thanks

Welcome to Cruise Critic. As mentioned several times in this thread, this is a question that is covered daily on the Florida Departures board, located under North American Homeports. EM

You certainly do NOT want to do a cab....it's WAAAAY too expensive...that's why everyone has been recommending SAS....check them out!

we wanted to take a taxi and we did so. Taxi fare ofc ourse, will depend upon traffic. It cost us about $80 plus tip and was well worth it to us We like comfort and ease when we travel. it is worth it to pay in order to get what one wants. Each decides for themselves.

Edited by sail7seas