West Indian Roasted Pumpkin Soup Recipe

Sargent_Schultz

http://www.carnival.com/cms/Funville/times/FunvilleTimes_JAN2010_Email_LandingPage.aspx?cid=Em_funvilletimes_jan2010_prospect_3030

Secret recipe revealed — start cookin’!

· 1/2 cup half and half · 1/2 cup heavy cream · 4 cloves fresh garlic (peeled) · 1/2 cup leeks (chopped) · 1/2 cup onions (chopped) · 1 cup pumpkin purée · 3 tbsp. olive oil · 1 quart chicken stock · Salt and pepper to taste Directions: Roast onions, leeks and garlic with olive oil in a pre-heated oven at 300° F for about 30 minutes; remove and purée. Bring the chicken stock, pumpkin purée and puréed vegetables to a boil. Simmer for 45 minutes. Add half and half and simmer for 30 more minutes; season with salt

and pepper. Finish with

heavy cream. Yields 5 servings

or 1 quart.

P1010484.JPG

We had that soup on Conquest in the Supper Club. When we went back a few nights later, we had it again. It was truly amazing. I saw that email yesterday and I cut and pasted the recipe to my wife. Hope to be eating some this weekend.

Carnival published it in the link provided. I had received an email from Carnival promoting it. I don't know if the recipe is any good, but I sure do like what they serve on the ships.

Thank-you Thank-you Thank-you

Carnival soups are my very favorite....One of these days I'm going to get up the nerve to order just soups and salad for dinner in the MDR. :p

I'll be making this over the weekend!!!!!

Awesome picture of the Pumpkin Soup! Love that stuff!!!

That recipe is the same one as they put in the their cookbook (which they sell on the ships)...just a smaller quantity.

There's a thread in the Foodies forum that has recipes for other Carnival dishes as well. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=328897

Edited by Azure Moon

• 1 month later...
http://www.carnival.com/cms/Funville/times/FunvilleTimes_JAN2010_Email_LandingPage.aspx?cid=Em_funvilletimes_jan2010_prospect_3030

Secret recipe revealed — start cookin’!

· 1/2 cup half and half · 1/2 cup heavy cream · 4 cloves fresh garlic (peeled) · 1/2 cup leeks (chopped) · 1/2 cup onions (chopped) · 1 cup pumpkin purée · 3 tbsp. olive oil · 1 quart chicken stock · Salt and pepper to taste Directions: Roast onions, leeks and garlic with olive oil in a pre-heated oven at 300° F for about 30 minutes; remove and purée. Bring the chicken stock, pumpkin purée and puréed vegetables to a boil. Simmer for 45 minutes. Add half and half and simmer for 30 more minutes; season with salt

and pepper. Finish with

heavy cream. Yields 5 servings

or 1 quart.

P1010484.JPG

Thanks for sharing this. I'm surprised to see the pumpkin ingredient is not necessarily roasted. :rolleyes:

I know when they make this on the ship (even though it has cream and half and half) it doesn't have any calories. "Only cruise calories" and they don't count! :D

• 5 years later...

thank you for renewing this post.

The serving size is just right for us here.

I would probably add a little spice, but that is the good thing about this recipe, soup. when I have it on board, I usually ask for some fresh ground pepper, and for me that just tops it off perfectly. At home, I have added some curry, and ginger.

I am not really fond of the pumpkin that comes in a can, so if the time of year is not right, and no pumpkins around, then I sub butternut squash for the pumpkin. Works just as well.:)

thank you for renewing this post.

The serving size is just right for us here.

I would probably add a little spice, but that is the good thing about this recipe, soup. when I have it on board, I usually ask for some fresh ground pepper, and for me that just tops it off perfectly. At home, I have added some curry, and ginger.

I am not really fond of the pumpkin that comes in a can, so if the time of year is not right, and no pumpkins around, then I sub butternut squash for the pumpkin. Works just as well.:)

Oooh! That'd work too. Like the idea of the spices.:)

Great starter for the Turkey Day Feast!

• 3 weeks later...