Burma River Cruise Yangon to Mandalay, probably with APT

tring

:):):):)

Lamentably my joints and bladder would not cope with that sort of thing now. Plans have to be made around stops ever hour and a half or so.........

I turned 71 this week, so I am not as young as once. One great thing about the third world is if you really need to go, tell the driver, he'll stop. You are not the only one. Women on the left of the vehicle, men on the right (or vv).

I turned 71 this week, so I am not as young as once. One great thing about the third world is if you really need to go, tell the driver, he'll stop. You are not the only one. Women on the left of the vehicle, men on the right (or vv).

I remember that from Gambia. I have heard it described as the most hygienic method as well and that sounds about right to me.

I have a few years to catch up then - 67 last month. Not going to stop us travelling for a while though :)

Cheers,

Barbara

• 2 weeks later...

We have made our decision regards this and have booked a one week river cruise (Mandalay Pagan Package, upstream), with Pandaw, who have been offering river cruises in Asia for many years and seem to have some good reviews. The cruise covers the Bagan to Mandalay stretch and a bit beyond each end, their boats have a very shallow draught so there should be no problem with the water level on that stretch of river in early January.

They are also able to book internal flights and hotels, so we may well get Pandaw to book those for us (looking at a few days in Yangon, flight to Bagan and one night hotel pre cruise - we could get a flight to Bagan on the day of the cruise, but would prefer to be more rested at the start and they have suggested a really impressive looking hotel on the river in Bagan, so will likely treat ourselves :)).

We want to do our own flights from the UK as we intend to stay in SE Asia for a month or so. We are not going until January 2019, but there are reports of pollution problems with burning as you get into February (and especially March/April) in Myanmar and Northern Thailand (where we intend to travel afterwards), so have booked the cruise for Jan 12th 2019 so we can get a good price and travel out early January, as soon as the international flights loose their pricing premium after the Christmas season. Will be early next year before the flights go on sale of course.

Thanks again for all who have posted here, I have put this post on as there is so little details of cruises in Myanmar, that I thought the info may be useful to some people.

Edited by tring