Just Asking!

Dame Delilah

We have done many cruises and have just finished three on three different cruise lines!

I love cruising and really enjoy large tables and meeting new folks. BUT--I am so sick of folks trying to one-up each other! No matter what someone has done, they have done it better!

I enjoy hearing of other folks' adventurer, but I am sick to death of people who just want to do one better!

Any suggestions for this feeling? Have you just switched to tables for 2?

(I Plan to post this on all three of our last cruise lines.)

If you don't like the people on your table you can always ask your headwaiter to change to another table. I like to be on a big table

with different people from all over the world.

Sometimes I just find it boring if they put me with people from my own country (Switzerland), but the last time it was nice enough.

There are enough other places to meet people.

As a sometime solo traveler I am usually placed at a large table. I listen to many stories and have heard the same. I use to chuckle when it occurred but then figured out a way to deal with it. I remind myself that each person's story is personal to them so it is only natural for them to feel what they did or experienced was better than anyone else.

I also like how if the story comes up again it seems to grow. Reminds me of the old fish tales. You know the one. It starts with a fish that was about 6 inches long in the original but as the story is repeated the fish grows to 12 inches, then 24 inches. Just think if you were on a TA crossing (21 to 30 days.) By the time the cruise ended they would have caught a whale. :p

Short of going to a table for 2 you sometimes just need to grin and let it go.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Cruising can be full of pseudo-snobs and is the reason I don't do too many (it's also one of the reasons many of my friends avoid cruising) Quite honestly, I meet much nicer people on land-tours who have done a lot more than most cruisers.

We quit cruising P&O years ago for this very reason. So many "social climbers" - "yah - and what dooh yoooo doooooo"

DH and I used to play the "BIG FAT LIAR"game - we have been everything from unemployed dole scammers (THATS A conversation stopper in three seconds - prob our favourite) who wangled a cruise on the DHSS - to runaway neighours who have left their husband/wife etc etc to e together on the cruise. :o

MOre fool them for taking it all in - stupid people!!

Table for two now - all the way!:)