X80 Route (Port - Athens) to restart in April 2017

VMax1700

Just to update those who are planning port days in Athens. I received an email from OASA (public transport company in Athens) that the X80 route Athens/Piraeus will recommence in April 2017. They will release more information during March.

Looking good for early season cruisers! :D

Thank you for posting this information. I was wondering about that bus route and when it would start up again. We will be in Piraeus/Athens in early May and are going to plan on taking the bus to tour the Acropolis on our own instead of taking the ship excursions.

• 3 weeks later...

Use with caution as the info may have changed from last year...

The ticket booth was only selling 24 hour day passes for 4.50E which was good for metro, tram, and bus. They had a sign indicating they'd prefer people to pay using coins. The booth also indicated the X80 ticket provided discounted entrance to the Benakis Museum.

The sign by the stop and booth seemed to show the main stops into Athens were:

• Cruise Terminal B (Gate E12)
  • Cruise Terminal A (Gate E11)
  • Piraeus Arch. Museum
  • Coast Zea
  • Kastela-Mikrolimano
  • Planetarium
  • Sygrou-Fix metro stat.
  • Acropolis
  • Syntagma Sq

In the opposite direction, some of the middle stops were different.

• Syntagma Sq
  • Acropolis
  • Sygrou-Fix metro stat.
  • Faliro stat.-Karaiskaki
  • Municipal Theater
  • Piraeus Arch. Museum

Most people got off at the Acropolis stop which was actually by the Temple of Zeus. It's a then pleasant walk to the Acropolis. You walk by a Tourist Info Centre if you want to hop in for questions or a quick washroom break and the Acropolis Museum.

We decided to get off at the next stop Syntagma Square / Parliament building.

We tried to catch the X80 back to the terminal at one of the bus stops at Syntagma Square. If I recall correctly, it's one of the stops in front of the McDonalds on the north side of Ermou street. (We didn't end up catching it because we missed the last bus at ~9pm?? and decided to do some kind of crazy metro, tram, bus routing back to the terminal.)

The following day we took the X80 again and were able to ring the bell to hop off along a marina in Piraeus.

I'll see if I can link to a larger picture.

20161013_120800a.jpg.4f8783827033db8b0b141787e0518eaf.jpg

for 4.50E which was good for metro, tram, and bus. They had a sign indicating they'd prefer people to pay using coins.

That's a lot of coins. I forget what is the largest Euro coin?

The sign by the stop and booth seemed to show the main stops into Athens were:

• Piraeus Arch. Museum
  • Coast Zea
  • Kastela-Mikrolimano
  • Planetarium
  • Sygrou-Fix metro stat.
  • Acropolis
  • Syntagma Sq

In the opposite direction, some of the middle stops were different.

• Syntagma Sq
  • Acropolis
  • Sygrou-Fix metro stat.
  • Faliro stat.-Karaiskaki
  • Municipal Theater
  • Piraeus Arch. Museum

Most people got off at the Acropolis stop which was actually by the Temple of Zeus. It's a then pleasant walk to the Acropolis. You walk by a Tourist Info Centre if you want to hop in for questions or a quick washroom break and the Acropolis Museum.

We decided to get off at the next stop Syntagma Square / Parliament building.

We have been to Athens before and are taking our adult children this trip. The sites that we want to see again are the Temple of Zeus, Acropolis, Mount Lycabettus, Syntagma Square and go to The Plaka.

So can we see all of this from getting off in the above stops?

Oh, and we have seen the Acropolis from the Temple of Zeus and cannot figure out how it would be a pleasant walk to get there. That's a long steep walk! Tried to post one of my photos, but it would not go through.

Thank you for posting what the bus stop booths look like.

The largest coin is €2.Last year the fare was €4.50 so two people would be €9. Last year they did give me the €1 change when I gave in a €10 note.

My understanding is that the preference is for Cash, not necessarily coins.

The largest coin is €2.Last year the fare was €4.50 so two people would be €9. Last year they did give me the €1 change when I gave in a €10 note.

My understanding is that the preference is for Cash, not necessarily coins.

Thank you. We will have 6 persons.

We have been to Athens before and are taking our adult children this trip. The sites that we want to see again are the Temple of Zeus, Acropolis, Mount Lycabettus, Syntagma Square and go to The Plaka.

So can we see all of this from getting off in the above stops?

Oh, and we have seen the Acropolis from the Temple of Zeus and cannot figure out how it would be a pleasant walk to get there. That's a long steep walk! Tried to post one of my photos, but it would not go through.

Thank you for posting what the bus stop booths look like.

Yes, the stop for Syntagma Square would be Syntagma, and for the rest (I think) the Acropolis stop. The historic center of Athens is really quite compact.

There's more than one approach to the Acropolis, but if you take the path up that starts approximately opposite the Acropolis museum, it really isn't too bad of a walk uphill, at least not until you get to the slippery marble steps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Thanks. According to past press announcements it started on May 9 last year and April 30 in 2015. It will prob be in that end of April/May time frame. I hope it's running on May 7!

We are in Piraeus/Athens on April 22 and 23, so we hope it starts earlier than usual.

• 2 weeks later...

We are in Athens on the 22nd October 17 and are hoping to get to the Acropolis early as our ship docks at 6am. We are hoping to get the first bus. Does the X80 bus runs till end of October and how far is the bus from the Cruise Terminal? I understand from previous threads that it requires a fair bit of walk to get to the bus after exiting the cruise terminal? Thank you

We are in Athens on the 22nd October 17 and are hoping to get to the Acropolis early as our ship docks at 6am. We are hoping to get the first bus. Does the X80 bus runs till end of October and how far is the bus from the Cruise Terminal? I understand from previous threads that it requires a fair bit of walk to get to the bus after exiting the cruise terminal? Thank you

The terminal we were at last September was about 100 yards to the bus stop. There was a ticket booth at the end of the entrance which was about 20 yards from the stop. The ticket booth clerk pointed the way.

I emailed the bus company last week, but as yet have not received a reply. It does take them a while to reply, so if I do not hear from them by this weekend I will send a reminder!

is there any updates available?

is there any updates available?

We are in Piraeus at the moment. There is a notice on the ticket office at the port entrance that route X80 starts on 1st May.

All the ho ho buses are running from the port entrance.

We are in Piraeus at the moment. There is a notice on the ticket office at the port entrance that route X80 starts on 1st May.

All the ho ho buses are running from the port entrance.

Did the sign indicate an end date?

We will be there on October 6th.