Bay of Islands - Lots of Questions

SF

We will be in Bay of Islands and are in the process of planning what we want to do but have lots of questions. Would really appreciate any info from those that have already been there.

1. Do the taxis in Bay of Islands take American credit cards?

2. Are there any tours available at the dock to see the glow worm caves?

3. If you want to see the glow worm caves on your own is that possible or are they reserved for the tour companies?

4. Does the ferry to Russell take American credit cards?

5.. If we decide to go to Russell are the sights within walking distance from the ferry dock?

6. From the glow worm caves is it walkable to the treaty grounds?

1) yes, as long as it is one of the common ones - VISA/MC or AMEX. Also you can probably use your bank ATM card to get NZ cash from ATMs (assuming it is Cirrus network). In general I can use my NZ cards in the USA so expect that goes both ways.

2) Don't know but if not just grab a taxi there: http://kawiticaves.co.nz/

3) You can just rock up according to their web site.

4) Yep same as 1)

5) Nice shops and things in Russell - worth a look.

6) Miles away, Treaty grounds at Waitangi. You can get a good idea browsing around with Google Maps.

Cheers

JohnO

I booked Bay of Islands tour for a full van of people with Shore Trips and Tours. I pre-paid in full, then my ship cancelled this port. Communication with Ian was great and the full amount I paid was promptly refunded. Then...my ship issued another revised itinerary and Bay of Islands was back in. On very, very short notice Ian was able to accommodate my group, and I'm so glad he did.

Our guide was Jill. She had been a nurse early in her life and then a flight attendant for 30yrs. Oh my, she sure knows how to take care of people. We were blessed by her attentiveness and care of us. As a native from NZ, she was has a vast knowledge of the area. Jill's commentary was colorful and informative. The tour included the Glow Worm Caves, waterfall, Handerwasser toilets (yup it's a tourist attraction) Mission House, Stone Store, chocolate factory, lunch stop, Kemp house, lots of fabulous scenery. The tour was never rushed.

Shore Trips and Tours gets an A+ from me.

I read that the caves are listed as a strenuous activity and someone in a previous thread mentioned it's because of the bush walk afterwards. Can anyone comment on how strenuous the walk after the caves is and what you see? If someone decides not to do the walk how do they get back to the main entrance by the parking lot?

Also those that did it on their own did they have problems just walking up and getting a ticket or did they book ahead? After reading other reviews how the cruise lines take precedent we're wondering if we'll be able to just walk up.

• 2 weeks later...

The walk is indeed strenuous, it's a steep slope with natural stairs, then a slower incline back down again with a few rocky outcrops you need to step down. In saying that though I did it at 12 weeks pregnant and incredibly unfit, I just needed to take lots of breaks :) If you can't do the walk you need to go all the way back through the caves. The walk through the caves is on a boardwalk but there are multiple steps up and down which is why it's not wheelchair accessible.

• 4 weeks later...

We are also looking at a private tour in Bay of Islands. Can anyone suggest a good company that ensures you get back to the ship in plenty of time.

Gordo - have you found anything good for this port yet. Would be interested. I think you saw what we are doing in Dunedin. My husband (LTL Bris) posted about a doing a train trip in our cruise thread.

Wendy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Gordo - have you found anything good for this port yet. Would be interested. I think you saw what we are doing in Dunedin. My husband (LTL Bris) posted about a doing a train trip in our cruise thread.

Wendy

Wendy - we have not found anything yet. I am trying to find a motorcycle tour for one of the earlier ports, and think we may look for a snorkel tour for Bay of Islands, as we love to be in the water and think this port may be the best option for this cruise.

We appreciate your husband posting the train tour information.

Wendy - we have not found anything yet. I am trying to find a motorcycle tour for one of the earlier ports, and think we may look for a snorkel tour for Bay of Islands, as we love to be in the water and think this port may be the best option for this cruise.

We appreciate your husband posting the train tour information.

Re snorkelling, definitely the best base for this activity

• 3 months later...