Danube River Cruise

Bonners1234

Has anyone taken the Avalon Danube Symphony cruise from Munich to Vienna? If so, how did you like it? _Any and all details are appreciated.

I did this cruise last year, but did the westbound route. We did the cruise only portion, flew roundtrip out of Munich. On arrival in Munich, we took a train to Salzburg, spent 2 nights, then took a train to Vienna, where we spent one night, before joining the cruise. The cruise stayed in Vienna the next two nights (left late on the second night.) At the completion of the cruise, we independently took the train to Munich, where we spent 3 nights on our own.

The cruise portion was short, only being 5 nights, with 2 nights being in Vienna. The last night was in Passau, but we moved docks, so weren't in town as late as we would have liked.

We chose the optional excursion to Cesky Krumlov, which was wonderful.

Happy to answer any other specific questions.

Robin

Food is always subjective, and we didn't find it to be nearly as good as the food on Uniworld. Service-the same, not the same level. We did live our Panorama suite and the larger bathroom. In Salzburg, we stayed at the Hotel Goldgasse-I highly recommend it.

Robin

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bonners 1234,

Are you booked on the May sailing? We are booked on the Danube Symphony eastbound in May. This is our first river cruise so I can't answer any questions but it sounds like we might be on the same sailing. We are doing cruise only so we will join the group in Passau. We are adding an extra day inVienna and a few days in Budapest at the end of the cruise on our own. Really looking forward to the trip! Maybe we will see you onboard the Passion:D

Food is always subjective, and we didn't find it to be nearly as good as the food on Uniworld. Service- not the same level. We did love our Panorama suite and the larger bathroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ditto what Robin said for food and service. We have done several with Avalon but not since 2012 when we discovered AMA. Since then we have experienced Uniworld and Scenic as well and, for us, they were all superior to Avalon in terms of food, wine, service, excursions, overall ambiance.

We liked the Panorama Suite but much prefer the twin balcony staterooms on AMA and Scenic's SunLounges. We enjoy our own personal, outdoor space.

We have been on the Danube 4x on the river and our #1 experience was AmaSerena. Superb in every way!

We are on the May 4th cruise from Passeu to Vienna. This is our first cruise too! Where are you from? We are from Atlanta, Georgia.

We are a group of three. My friend and I had wanted to take this trip for years. We booked in October. A few days later my daughter decided to come along so she booked a single. My daughter and I are from Rochester, NY and my friend is from Nashville, TN. We are meeting up at JFK and flying together. Have you booked any optional excursions yet? We are very excited they are offering the excursion to Cesky Krumlov! We will definitely sign up for that. See you in May!

Lisa