Tivoli Gardens - How Long?

We will spend a night in Copenhagen pre-cruise this June [the cruise also includes an overnight at the end so we'll have more time to explore on that day as well] and most flights we are considering don't get to Denmark until the afternoon [between 1pm to 4pm depending on which one we choose]. With that in mind [and after a tiresome 10 hours of traveling] I was considering making Tivoli our sole sight for that day. Are there enough things to do there to occupy us for 4 or 5 hours or should we squeeze in another sight first? We will certainly go on at least a few rides and likely have dinner there in addition to walking around, taking pictures, and soaking it all in. I searched most of the threads mentioning Tivoli but did not find any that recommended how long to spend there.

Many posters mentioned that it is a great place in the evenings but the sun does not set until about 9.45pm when we are there. I'd like to get some photos during full daylight as well as some with the buildings lit up [but I'm only bringing a point & shoot camera so don't want it to be too dark for decent photos]. Do they light up the buildings before complete darkness? Are the rides and attractions open for the full time the park is open [until midnight on Fridays in the summer I believe] or do they shut down earlier? Are the shows fun/interesting/worthwhile and are they scheduled throughout the day [i know it's subjective but I value any input]? Are the restaurants a lot more expensive than those outside of the park?

Sorry for so many questions. I do appreciate any replies. Thanks in advance!

I'll do my best to answer your questions - but of course different views and experience.

4 to 5 hours sounds about right from late afternoon - then you will have full sun but also plan to be there after 10 pm when getting dark - rides will be open all evening. Then you can see other sights during the day (inspiration in link below) and do a Canal Tour visit the Royal Palace with guard change at Noon (two videos for inspiration) - I'll plan to be there late after noon - try some Rides and plan for events combined with a dinner.

Prices at restaurants might be a bit higher than outside Tivoli, but not much - remember that Tips are included in the price. Suggest that you do book a table - link to restaurants below.

Link to Tivoli

Rides and Games

RETREATS

EVENTS IN THE GARDENS

Dining Guide

Link to inspiration for the day (Copenhagen Videos)

scteUC-p-Kg

BKPTCLltnk4

They also offer an option of buying a re-entry pass (last year it was 25 kr.) if you want to leave and come back later the same day. That way you can split up your visit and go do something else for a few hours, like a boat tour or the Glyptotek (which is right next to Tivoli). And you can find somewhere to eat outside the park if nothing in the park appeals to you. Then go back after dark and the lights come on. You should also check and see (maybe closer to the date) if there will be any concerts on the evening you're there.

I'll do my best to answer your questions - but of course different views and experience.

4 to 5 hours sounds about right from late afternoon - then you will have full sun but also plan to be there after 10 pm when getting dark - rides will be open all evening. Then you can see other sights during the day (inspiration in link below) and do a Canal Tour visit the Royal Palace with guard change at Noon (two videos for inspiration) - I'll plan to be there late after noon - try some Rides and plan for events combined with a dinner.

Prices at restaurants might be a bit higher than outside Tivoli, but not much - remember that Tips are included in the price. Suggest that you do book a table - link to restaurants below.

Link to Tivoli

Rides and Games

RETREATS

EVENTS IN THE GARDENS

Dining Guide

Link to inspiration for the day (Copenhagen Videos)

scteUC-p-Kg

BKPTCLltnk4

Thank you for the reply and the links!! We will likely arrive too late for the guard changing but it seems as if we may be able to squeeze in another site and still get to Tivoli around 6pm to spend 4-5 hours there. I checked out the restaurants in the park and there are so many options; prices seem somewhat comparable to other decent restaurants in the city [we realize Copenhagen is an expensive city to dine out in no matter where you eat so will likely choose dinner at Tivoli for the atmosphere and convenience.] I see that you are from Denmark so would you happen to have any recommendations for restaurants in the park? FÆRGEKROENS BRYGHUS caught my attention and I've seen some mentions of Grøften on the board; have you tried either?

The canal boat tour looks very scenic but we will be spending 12 nights on a ship so not sure if I can talk the others in my party into doing another tour by boat haha. Any other sites close to Tivoli that would be worth an hour or two before we go to the park?

They also offer an option of buying a re-entry pass (last year it was 25 kr.) if you want to leave and come back later the same day. That way you can split up your visit and go do something else for a few hours, like a boat tour or the Glyptotek (which is right next to Tivoli). And you can find somewhere to eat outside the park if nothing in the park appeals to you. Then go back after dark and the lights come on. You should also check and see (maybe closer to the date) if there will be any concerts on the evening you're there.

Thanks for the ideas! I'm not sure we will be up for leaving and returning after a long day of flights but it is something to think about. The Glyptotek is a possibility. Are there any other wonderful attractions close by to Tivoli [i want to have options to present to my travelmates haha].

see that you are from Denmark so would you happen to have any recommendations for restaurants in the park? FÆRGEKROENS BRYGHUS caught my attention and I've seen some mentions of Grøften on the board; have you tried either?

The canal boat tour looks very scenic but we will be spending 12 nights on a ship so not sure if I can talk the others in my party into doing another tour by boat haha. Any other sites close to Tivoli that would be worth an hour or two before we go to the park?

The Glyptotek is a possibility. Are there any other wonderful attractions close by to Tivoli [i want to have options to present to my travelmates haha].

Yes, from Denmark and have tries all Restaurants in Tivoli. From the web I think you get a good feeling for the type of food and atmosphere at the restaurants. Færgekroen (Ferry Inn's brewery) is a good choice - this is a link to the restaurant web with table reservation.

Agree taht the canal tour is 'another boat tour' however very different and you will see a lot of Copenhagen sights - The Glyptotek is close to Tivoli - however Copenhagen is a fairly small city - distance from Royal Castle to Tivoli is 1.6 miles - and the see Amalienborg Royal Castle, Nyhavn Harbor, The Round Tower (Rundetårn), Strøget Shopping Mile.

I'm not into the rides but spent 3-5 hours wandering around Tivioli on evening. It is a pretty large area with lots to see, many benches to listen to the music and/or people watch. Like any amusement park many choices of places to eat at any price level from snack carts to fancy restaurants.

Don't miss the canal boat tour, a fantastic way to see the city sights.

Copenhagen is a great city to wander around. I've never seen so many bicycles before in my life :)

Færgekroen is a good choice. Regarding the late sunset, don't worry about that.

Tivoli is located in a kind of valley and with the tall buildings located around the park then the lights will be visible from around 8 or 9pm.

Yes, from Denmark and have tries all Restaurants in Tivoli. From the web I think you get a good feeling for the type of food and atmosphere at the restaurants. Færgekroen (Ferry Inn's brewery) is a good choice - this is a link to the restaurant web with table reservation.

Agree taht the canal tour is 'another boat tour' however very different and you will see a lot of Copenhagen sights - The Glyptotek is close to Tivoli - however Copenhagen is a fairly small city - distance from Royal Castle to Tivoli is 1.6 miles - and the see Amalienborg Royal Castle, Nyhavn Harbor, The Round Tower (Rundetårn), Strøget Shopping Mile.

Thank you both!!

Once we have our flights book [should be next week] I will likely make a reservation for Færgekroen. That restaurant appealed to me the most of the Tivoli selections.

I'm not into the rides but spent 3-5 hours wandering around Tivioli on evening. It is a pretty large area with lots to see, many benches to listen to the music and/or people watch. Like any amusement park many choices of places to eat at any price level from snack carts to fancy restaurants. Don't miss the canal boat tour, a fantastic way to see the city sights.

Copenhagen is a great city to wander around. I've never seen so many bicycles before in my life :)

Thank you for the reply! That is great to know that you were able to spend so much time there. I'm sure we will be able to occupy ourselves for 4-5 hours especially since we'll do a few rides [definitely the wooden roller coaster! hehe].

I will look more into the canal tour as well since everyone seems to rave about it.

Sorry to hijack but I think this is relevant.. my plane lands at around 2pm on a Monday while the cruise leaves on Wednesday. We plan to spend Tuesday around town and Tivoli. The problem is post cruise, our flight does not leave until 10. Since we've already done Tivoli already, what can we possibly do with all our luggage while trying to kill more than 8 hours?

Sorry to hijack but I think this is relevant.. my plane lands at around 2pm on a Monday while the cruise leaves on Wednesday. We plan to spend Tuesday around town and Tivoli. The problem is post cruise, our flight does not leave until 10. Since we've already done Tivoli already, what can we possibly do with all our luggage while trying to kill more than 8 hours?

No worried on the thread hijack as I may find myself in a similar situation [though not as long] so am curious about this as well. The flight we are looking at for the return leaves around 4.30pm and I cannot bear the though it sitting in an airport for the entire day.

Very relevant - there is a Luggage Centre at Copenhagen Central Station - Link to web - next to Tivoli Garden.

At the end of the day, you can take the train from Central Station to Copenhagen Airport.

We checked our bags at the train station (which was not cheap) and took a train up to Elsinore to see the castle. There is an excellent maritime museum on the castle grounds and the town had a wonderful open air market. We took the train back, got our luggage and then caught the train to the airport.

On the day we did Tivoli, we got there when it opened at 11:00, walked around, took pictures, enjoyed a leisurely lunch, paid for re-entry permissions and left the gardens by 4:00. We walked from there along the waterfront up to Nyhavn and back through the Castle grounds and went back to hotel for a rest before returning to Tivoli around 9:00 to see it all lit up.

Very relevant - there is a Luggage Centre at Copenhagen Central Station - Link to web - next to Tivoli Garden.

At the end of the day, you can take the train from Central Station to Copenhagen Airport.

Thank you, I checked google maps and central station seemed a bit far from the cruise terminal. What's the best method of transportation to get there? I'm guessing a taxi (hopefully there are plenty outside). I see a bus available but it seems you have to walk a bit to the O2 bus but with DW and I hauling 2 kids and 4 pieces of luggages, I don't think that's wise.

We checked our bags at the train station (which was not cheap) and took a train up to Elsinore to see the castle. There is an excellent maritime museum on the castle grounds and the town had a wonderful open air market. We took the train back, got our luggage and then caught the train to the airport.

On the day we did Tivoli, we got there when it opened at 11:00, walked around, took pictures, enjoyed a leisurely lunch, paid for re-entry permissions and left the gardens by 4:00. We walked from there along the waterfront up to Nyhavn and back through the Castle grounds and went back to hotel for a rest before returning to Tivoli around 9:00 to see it all lit up.

Thank you for the idea of taking the train up and visiting some more sights. I did not want to spend another day in Copenhagen. A 10pm flight is a long time to kill :)

Thank you, I checked google maps and central station seemed a bit far from the cruise terminal. What's the best method of transportation to get there? I'm guessing a taxi (hopefully there are plenty outside). I see a bus available but it seems you have to walk a bit to the O2 bus but with DW and I hauling 2 kids and 4 pieces of luggages, I don't think that's wise.

Yes. Best option is taxi. There Will be plenty of taxis outside. You will not be in a hurry going to Tivoli. Might not open before 11am

http://Http://mogenshallas.com cruise reviews

from my iPad using Forums

Yes. Best option is taxi. There Will be plenty of taxis outside. You will not be in a hurry going to Tivoli. Might not open before 11am

Thanks. Will not be going to Tivoli upon disembarkation. Will head to central terminal and perhaps go to Elsinore before going back to central terminal to head to the airport. Since my flight home leaves at 10pm at night, I need to find something to do. Tivoli will be done the day before embarkation.