Hong Kong hotel - which side of the harbor?

GeezerCouple

We will probably add 3 nights in Hong Kong to our Japan trip, if we can arrange to change plane reservations.

If we are able to arrange this, which side of the harbor would be better for a hotel?

One thought is the Peninsula, a place we've long heard about :)

The other likely possibilities would be on the other side.

(I do NOT like heights, so there would need to be at least some rooms on "not high" floors, meaning under 20, but preferably not quite that high. This seems to be more and more of an issue these days in some locations, especially in Tokyo. We are all set there, however.)

Thank you.

I was only there once but found more to do in Kowloon. We stayed at Peninsula and it was lovely, so for your first time, I do recommend it. We go next month and will stay at Intercontinental, but only for a change and because I hear view is spectacular, although it may be lost on you if you are not a high floor person. (But we also stayed high floor at Peninsula on harbor side, but you need not do so.). All that said, I still favor Kowloon, and easy enough to get to HK for a visit.

Sent from my dogs' iPad using TapaBark. Bone Voyage [emoji190]

Edited by Hobar

I was only there once but found more to do in Kowloon. We stayed at Peninsula and it was lovely, so for your first time, I do recommend it. We go next month and will stay at Intercontinental, but only for a change and because I hear view is spectacular, although it may be lost on you if you are not a high floor person. (But we also stayed high floor at Peninsula on harbor side, but you need not do so.). All that said, I still favor Kowloon, and easy enough to get to HK for a visit.

Thanks.

I'd be okay no problem up to 10, and 20 is doable, but more than that, and I'm flat against the inside wall or crawling out the door back to the elevator, assuming I ever left the elevator at all - or got in it to begin with. :o

[Yes, I'm "working on it"...]

I had already noticed that the Four Seasons, which is quite high, has guest rooms starting on Floor 9, which would be fine. But it's on the other side of the Harbor anyway.

The Penthouse is on top, of course, but that's not any particular problem for *us* !

{DH and I always chuckle at that scene in Pretty Woman, about the Penthouse being on the top floor, which is also mentioned in the movie's final scene. :) )

We've heard about the Hong Kong Peninsula for years, and it would be great if we could enjoy it for a few nights,

As for air tix, the award availability at this point might not open up until last minute, so we might make refundable hotel reservations to make sure we've got them, IF the air transportation works out.

Do you happen to know if the rooms in the original building are more "classic" than in the tower?

Low-mid tower would be okay to get that view.

Do you happen to remember how high one needs to be to see over that building between the hotel and the harbor?

Thanks again!

Thanks.

I'd be okay no problem up to 10, and 20 is doable, but more than that, and I'm flat against the inside wall or crawling out the door back to the elevator, assuming I ever left the elevator at all - or got in it to begin with. :o

I had already noticed that the Four Seasons, which is quite high, has guest rooms starting on Floor 9, which would be fine. But it's on the other side of the Harbor anyway.

The Penthouse is on top, of course, but that's not any particular problem for *us* !

{DH and I always chuckle at that scene in Pretty Woman, about the Penthouse being on the top floor, which is also mentioned in the movie's final scene. :) )

We've heard about the Hong Kong Peninsula for years, and it would be great if we could enjoy it for a few nights,

As for air tix, the award availability at this point might not open up until last minute, so we might make refundable hotel reservations to make sure we've got them, IF the air transportation works out.

Do you happen to know if the rooms in the original building are more "classic" than in the tower?

Do you happen to remember how high one needs to be to see over that building between the hotel and the harbor?

Thanks again!

You are very funny. I have visuals of what you describe. I too have a fear of heights and am claustrophobic, so can relate a bit, but have somehow overcome some fears.

I do not recall there even being different buildings /towers in the Peninsula. (It's been about 12 years since I was there.) Between you and me, I favor a Four Seasons, but feel that a Four Seasons is a hotel you can stay anywhere, and if there is an option for notable (historic) hotel, I would opt for that. (It is the reason we will stay at the Peace Hotel in Shanghai, for the history it has as the Cathay Hotel built by Sir Victor Sassoon, rather than at any of the several 5 star hotels.) The Peninsula is historic and I glad I stayed there. http://hongwrong.com/peninsula-hong-kong/. Great location too. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. I suggest you post a question on TripAdvisor for the Peninsula. I find posters there quite responsive to questions.

Aside from preference for high or low floors, as HK is most famous for its urban concrete jungle of high-rise hotels, where it's not uncommon for the check-in or lobby is on the 6/F or 8/F and higher, lower floors being dedicated to multi-story shopping malls - the question of one's budget.

For first timers - TST in Kowloon is probably my pick, not necessary the Pen - IC is very nice & right on the waterfront with a harbourview (known as "The Regents" then) and we've stayed at the New World next door, now the New World Millennium - 30' high floor to ceiling lobby cafe/bar for power breakfast or afternoon high tea (and coffee) ... sit back and watch the marine traffic crossing the Victoria, an easy walk to the nearby Star Ferry, passing the Railway Clock Tower where KCR rail stations used to be ... some 50 years ago, I still remember it before the nearby British barracks gave way to new hotels along TST East & the Cross Harbour Tunnel.

On the HK side, Marriott & Conrad up Garden Road & US Consulate, mid-level on the hill are good and not too far from Admiralty MTR Station ... more airy with greens, but not convenient to most on a short stay. Four Seasons is top rated, especially for business travelers - IMO - also for its prime location but not sure if we would stay there & spend that kind of money, unless it comes with a butler & other "free" perks.

Personally, we would rather spend that discretionary money on fine dining and not just based on Michelin star-ratings ... catered in-suite room services, cooked tableside just isn't the same as walking over to the dining or cafe. Priorities are unique & different for all of us, just my thoughts.

HK many times and have booked again. We have stayed on both sides and for someone concerned with heights HK side would be a no no.

In Kowloon Pen is lovely but very pricey we used to stay at the Hyatt but it too starts on the 9th floor. This time we are in the Shangri la not an overly high hotel compared to others a little off to the side of crowds but easy walk as we visited from the Ocean Terminal area last year to check it out.

We were in Hong Kong last week and I would definitely stay on the Kowloon side (around Tsim Sha Tsui). IMHO the HK Island is more attune to business. Among many other things, there are pleasant walks along the water front in Kowloon although a small part of it is now closed off as a new arts centre is being built next to one of the Intercontinental hotels.

We used the HOHO bus (green line) for a trip around HK Island. It has stops at Repulse Bay, Stanley and Aberdeen (among others) and we found it a great way to have visit each of these and very relaxing after the busyness of Kowloon. Of course you can get local buses but we were time poor.

We've stayed at the Hyatt and it was very good and convenient and friends raved about the Shangri La. There are two Intercontinentals, and one is right on the harbour front so the views across the harbour at night would be spectacular from the 'front' rooms.

There are lots to choose from so I hope you find one that suits your requirements.

Thanks.

Thanks again!

Off topic but when I caught the cable car in Switzerland to Top of Mt Pilatius there was a man who had your issues. He ended up lying on the floor visibly shaking but he had promised his wife he would do this with her and he did. The rest of us just had to move around him and try not to stand on him lol.

Another vote for the Kowloon side. We have stayed twice at the Harbour Grand Kowloon. Right on Hong Kong harbor and just a few minute walk to a Star Ferry Terminal. Located in Hung Hom which is more of a residential area. We enjoyed that. Hotel offers a shuttle to the Peninsula Hotel area. Definitely pay for a harbor view room.

Joe

We go next month and will stay at Intercontinental, but only for a change and because I hear view is spectacular, although it may be lost on you if you are not a high floor person.
At the InterContinental, you don't need a high floor to get a spectacular view. As long as you have a full harbour view room, it will be great. I seldom stay in hotels in Hong Kong, but the occasion when we were in the IC it was well worth treating ourselves to it.

One word of caution: Do not get this confused with the InterContinental Grand Stanford. That is a different hotel, whose harbour views are not nearly of the same calibre.

... BTW don't go over to Lantau Island in a crystal cable car cabin if you have a fear of heights😀 (but highly recommended otherwise)
That's a reference to Ning Ping 360 from Tung Chung, next to the MTR Station (Airport Express Train does NOT connect here, it's local service) about 10 minutes by local bus, taxi or private vehicle.

Cable car has "regular" cabin and it is fine for just about everyone, the crystal is deluxe, glass bottom and the ride is more costly ... advantage is that when the place is open, running and lines are long - it move a little faster, sometimes.

Caution, I posted this earlier in other related threads/questions - Ning Ping 360 has been closed since this January and remained so thru end of May 2017 for major maintenance, safety upgrades & enhancement (as it has operational issues often and does not operate when it's windy & for other unexpected reasons). Always check their website to make sure it's open & running, the hours, etc. for anyone planning to see the NP Village aimed at visitors and the Big Budda on the hilltop & the monastery & temples for worship - including weather as when it's cloud & obscure, not much to see or not good for photo's. Leaving from popular KL or HK hotels, it's at least 90+ minutes to get out there via regular MTR trains with transfers, short walk to NP360 lower terminal and ride up (20+ minutes) plus wait time in lines to buy tickets & board the cable car. Comfortable walking shoes are a must - bottled water & soda, beverages are available for sale in local "stores" - no 7-11's however.

It is scheduled and expected to re-open by this June, please check before planning your view to avoid appointment. To visit without riding the NP360 cable car, it is possible to take the local bus from Tung Chung's nearby bus terminal to go uphill & return, green taxis that only serve the island are available as well.

Here's a snapshot preview of what you can expect.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sk1t4ivmr5msxoa/HKG%20NingPing%20360%20Cable%20Car%20%26%20Big%20Budda.jpg?dl=0

We loved our room at the InterContinental on the Harbor. It is worth every penny for the full harbor view. We were there over the Chinese New Year and the laser light show was amazing. I just laid on my bed and looked out the window!

We have stayed at the Eaton Hotel (380 Nathan Road), it was ok.

[YOUTUBE]-3PGA6AUMH0[/YOUTUBE]

We also stayed at Hotel Panorama by Rhombus, which is better located than the Eaton as it is walking distance to Tsim Sha Tsui station and the network of underground walkways in that area.

[YOUTUBE]jH4DH75MxUQ[/YOUTUBE]

Quite near to the Hotel Panorama, is the famous Jenny's Cookies. Loved it.

[YOUTUBE]XFZD2TCDHf0[/YOUTUBE]