Santorini -Speed boat to Oia, but back?

doctrd

Just back from my cruise and there were definitely 2 companies offering the boat to Oia. Price for boat, bus up to Oia, bus back to Fira and cable car back down to pier was 20 euros. Be sure to reserve your return bus time when you get off the bus in Oia as they do fill up fast.[/quote

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks for the update. That makes me feel better. How did you like Sanorini? And how was the line for the cable car?

Loved Santorini...it is so beautiful! As for the cable car, there were two other ships in port but their sailaway time was different from ours (5pm) so we were surprised to see the very long line for the cable car when we got back to Fira around 3pm...we were on line about 45 minutes.

No, there is a short (couple of hundred yards) but steep hill where a coach is waiting to take you the short distance to Oia

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you. Is it doable for somebody with mobility (walking) issues?

Hmmm maybe not. It depends how bad the mobility problems are. Especially when you take the heat into account. Difficult for me to say.

Thanks again. We will make the decision once we are there. This will be mid October, so maybe it will not be that hot anymore.

We just got back from our Greek island cruise, Santorini and especially Oia was the one place we were really looking forward to. Unfortunately the day was a disaster due to 3 other cruise ships in port at the same time.

We decided to use the speedboat and that's where the problems began. We left the ship at 9am, tendered ashore and as stated there are 2 companies offering the same thing for the same price. Both boats were empty when we arrived but were assured that they fill up fast, 10 minutes he said. 45 minutes later we were on our way! On arrival at the bottom of the hill there was a steep walk to catch the shuttle bus into Oia

After an hour of walking like penguins in the crowded streets, enough was enough and we decided to get back to the ship early so as to miss the anticipated wait for the cable car. We waited for 1/2 hour to catch the bus into Fira and headed straight for the cable car. It took just over an hour to get there from the end of the line. Finally we got back on board the ship at 3pm. We spent a total of 5 hours travelling and waiting around for a 1 hour crushed visit to Oia.

It would be nice to visit again sometime, but not on a cruise.

• 5 months later...
==========================

I purchased tickets for two on line from Aegean Traveller for 20 euro each for Nov. They included cable car from Fira back to ship. I can't vouch for the company but I guess I'll find out in Nov.

Did it work out for you?

How did you chose the time for your boat from Fira to Oia - I'm a little worried about getting off the ship quickly with the tenders often being full of people taking ship's excursions.

Did it work out for you?

How did you chose the time for your boat from Fira to Oia - I'm a little worried about getting off the ship quickly with the tenders often being full of people taking ship's excursions.

We did this in 2014. After the ship's crew has brainwashed people into believing the only alternative to the donkey climb or limited-capacity cable car is the ship's own cruises, there's no great queue for the boat to Oia. ISTR we went for a boat around 10.00 and there was loads of time; and many people didn't pre-book.

Stuart

Does anyone have any recent experience with the boat from Fira to Oia please ?

We are looking at the Fira boat option to Oia and then bus back to Fira.

Also, as we appear to be the only ship in port that day, we are hoping the crowds will be such that we may be able to spend some time in Oia.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a lunch stop ?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

We are there with only one other small ship in port...should be no more than 1000 people all up. Will crowds be manageable? We are definitely taking the boat to Oia, so would also be interested in any comments from people who have done this recently.

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Santorini yesterday and did take the boat from Fira to Oia. Very easy.

Lunch in Oia at Scala was wonderful, great service, and not horribly overpriced.

Both Oia and Fira were absolutely packed with people. We were supposed to be the only ship in port but two others, both largeish, altered their itinerary at the last minute to be there same day as us. One left same time as ours, so the wait to get down on cable cars was over an hour. Our guide kept saying how much worse it will get later in the summer. Not to be negative, just trying to temper expectations.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone taken the boat to Oia, and then walked back? We are in port 7a to 5p, and I plan on being off the ship as close to 7a as possible.

IF by some chance the cable car line is minimal, am I better off taking that up and a cab over to Oia?

We did the walk back from Oia and can highly recommend it. Took us about 3hrs and that included stops for photos (many) and a stop for lunch (we had taken our own). A beautiful walk with fantastic views and as there were hardly any people on the track a lovely quiet way to enjoy the island to its fullest. Highly recommend that you do this.

We did the walk back from Oia and can highly recommend it. Took us about 3hrs and that included stops for photos (many) and a stop for lunch (we had taken our own). A beautiful walk with fantastic views and as there were hardly any people on the track a lovely quiet way to enjoy the island to its fullest. Highly recommend that you do this.

Is the trail clearly marked? Or is it an actual road?

We just got back from our Greek island cruise, Santorini and especially Oia was the one place we were really looking forward to. Unfortunately the day was a disaster due to 3 other cruise ships in port at the same time.

We decided to use the speedboat and that's where the problems began. We left the ship at 9am, tendered ashore and as stated there are 2 companies offering the same thing for the same price. Both boats were empty when we arrived but were assured that they fill up fast, 10 minutes he said. 45 minutes later we were on our way! On arrival at the bottom of the hill there was a steep walk to catch the shuttle bus into Oia

After an hour of walking like penguins in the crowded streets, enough was enough and we decided to get back to the ship early so as to miss the anticipated wait for the cable car. We waited for 1/2 hour to catch the bus into Fira and headed straight for the cable car. It took just over an hour to get there from the end of the line. Finally we got back on board the ship at 3pm. We spent a total of 5 hours travelling and waiting around for a 1 hour crushed visit to Oia.

It would be nice to visit again sometime, but not on a cruise.

Did you book ahead of time or on the spot? Do you know what company it was?

Appreciate any other info.

Did you book ahead of time or on the spot? Do you know what company it was?

Appreciate any other info.

You do not need to book ahead of time, in fact I would strongly advise against it. There are a couple of operators on the dock where the tenders drop you. Check with each of them when the next boat will be leaving - take what they say with a pinch of salt though as we were told 10 minutes when it was more like a 40 minute wait. Hang back and wait until a boat is in and filling up and then choose that one.

The line is totally dependent on how many ships are in port that day. Go to the port schedule and look at the ships in port, their arrival/departure times and the number of PAX on each ship. This is the only way you can get a feel for how long the line is. And if it is long just walk down.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have to say that "just walk down" is very misleading. The steps are steep, and covered in donkey dung. Our ship's crew strongly advised passengers not to walk down. I saw two different passengers in the dining room the next day in wheelchairs and casts. As they were being maneuvered past, they ruefully explained they had slipped trying to walk down. We also saw several people at the bottom being supported by friends and obviously hurt, though we did not see those folks on our ship later so don't know how badly.

The cable car situation is bad when there are multiple ships in port, but the steps are not an easy option.

I have to say that "just walk down" is very misleading. The steps are steep, and covered in donkey dung. Our ship's crew strongly advised passengers not to walk down. I saw two different passengers in the dining room the next day in wheelchairs and casts. <snip> The cable car situation is bad when there are multiple ships in port, but the steps are not an easy option.

Since the boat trips to Oia left from the Old Port - not up or down any stairs there.

And I believe that I read that the boat trip takes you there only and then they bus you back to the town of Fira, up above the old port. From there you would need to take the cable car - or walk down. But I won't be doing that! I would not walk up or down the stairs to the town above - I understand that it is unpleasant due to animal dung and hazardous.

• 9 months later...
Thanks again. We will make the decision once we are there. This will be mid October, so maybe it will not be that hot anymore.

Ine, did the speed boat work out for you in October? We will be there in mid October this year, 2018, and we're the only ship (of 3000) in port that day. I worry a bit about the late season and smallish number of passengers.

thanks in advance!

We were on Santorini last Wednesday, and bought tickets for the boat to Oia. There are at least two companies at the dock who offer this. Tickets are 20,- and include a ride back to Fira by bus. Once the boat gets to Oia a bus will take you up to the town. The bus back will leave at the same place where you got off.

The bus goes back to Fira every whole hour. Last bus goes at 14.00 hrs.

Beware, there are a lot of buses! When we wanted to go back I just waved around the flyer from the company and our bus driver kindly led us to our bus. It was a smooth, airconditioned bus ride. When we got back to Fira we took the cable car to get to the dock.

Both towns are easy to navigate on your own.