Athens & Santorini with a toddler

ffrencher

Hello all.

Looking for some advice on these two ports. We will be doing a 10-day out of Barcelona to Venice with a 4 year old and will do a couple of private tours in Italy, especially Rome due to the distance from port. I am wondering if there are things to be seen close to these two ports in Greece in order to not have the kiddo endure too many long days in vehicles during the trip.

Based on what I have read so far, it appears we can do the HOHO in Athens as that appears to be close to port and we can either stop or take in a "quick" city tour. Any other suggestions? I haven't fully gotten a good grasp on Santorini as yet in regards to ease. Thinking this might be a quick taxi ride or day on ship. :D

Thanks for your time.

Athens' historic center is about 20-25 minutes from the port by direct route but could be longer by HOHO bus. There is also an express bus (X80) with stops at both port entrances that will take you directly to Athens (drop-off near the Acropolis).

I guess the advantage to the HOHO is that they do take you around in Athens itself, but be forewarned that a lot of the historic center is pedestrian only, so in order to really 'see' something you may have to get off and walk anyway...

In Santorini, you must tender fro the ship. If you book a ship tour, you tender to one location and if not, you tender to a different location. From that second location you have several options: 1) take the tram up the hill to Thira, 2) walk up the (steep) steps to Thira, 3) take a donkey ride up the steps, or 4) take a boat from the drop-off point around to Oia.

Oia is the pretty little town with the white walls/blue roofs that you always see pictures of...

There are also private taxi tours in Athens. You don't need to pay extra for a guide. The drivers speak excellent English and are friendly. We used PK Travel Greece. If it's hot when you go, being driven place to place in an a/c Mercedes without having to worry about directions was worth it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums