What did you buy in Alaska

McFins

I did a fair bit of my Christmas shopping in Alaska last year. Picked up several pairs of mammoth ivory earrings/necklaces, also some porcupine quill earrings, some local herbal achy joint and eczema remedies, lots and lots of different teas ... each port seemed to have specialty herbs used as teas, salves, etc. A jacket more appropriate for the weather. Christmas ornaments. A couple T-shirts -- the White Horse railroad had very good prices on those. Biggest/heaviest two things were a couple jars of kelp marmalade I got in Ketchikan. I don't think there's a need to send stuff home unless you've bought an ulu knife, in which case it's advisable to ship it direct.

Oh, and a painting made by a harbour seal in Seward.

Tongall Trading Company gives out huge cloth bags when you purchase things, can get a lot of stuff home in one of those.

I've told this before and a few people seemed to think it was cool like I do. In Ketchikan I bought a puzzle that's made from real wood. The pieces are not like normal puzzle pieces - they are in the shape of things like a man carrying a rifle, a bear, coyote, eagle, etc. The puzzles aren't square/rectangle either - the outline is irregular. I found them on Creek Street at a store called Fish Creek Company. They aren't cheap but are well made and worth the price - around $100 or so each. They had several different animals to pick from - I got the grizzly bear like this one - it took me a LOT of hours to put it together - the hardest puzzle I've ever done. It's my favorite sovereign from the trip.

large_grizzly-bear-image-1700.jpg

The back side so - you can see the odd shaped pieces:

large_grizzly-bear-back-900.jpg

Thank you for this. DH loves puzzles and this is great. It gives us time to budget for our May trip to Alaska and not pass out at the cost!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Forums mobile app

I've told this before and a few people seemed to think it was cool like I do. In Ketchikan I bought a puzzle that's made from real wood. The pieces are not like normal puzzle pieces - they are in the shape of things like a man carrying a rifle, a bear, coyote, eagle, etc. The puzzles aren't square/rectangle either - the outline is irregular. I found them on Creek Street at a store called Fish Creek Company. They aren't cheap but are well made and worth the price - around $100 or so each. They had several different animals to pick from - I got the grizzly bear like this one - it took me a LOT of hours to put it together - the hardest puzzle I've ever done. It's my favorite sovereign from the trip.

That is awesome! I will definitely be looking for one of those!

My souvenir include: Fudge from the Alaska Fudge Factory in both Juneau and Skagway, Glacier Smoothie soap at the small cabin shop near the Juneau Library, seafood shops for smoked salmon (take home and vendor ship home), and the Tongass Trading Company at the Ketchikan pier for Alaska-logo jackets, Alaskan-pattern fleece, Ulu knives, smoked salmon, outfitter needs (upstairs), Alaska sweatshirts, and kids items.

I heart Alaska Fudge Company fudge. A must buy every time we go.

. (My husband mailed something in Ketchikan - so the post office was "close" to the port.)

No longer- the Mission St office closed.

The post office is way down Tongass, past the mall, can get there by bus if necessary.

Of course the ever popular Ulu Knife. Ours from 15 years ago no longer takes a good edge. My one-handed wife finds it indispensable for chopping vegies. This time we will get one with the chopping bowl. Emphasis for us on utility not artistry.

Also (speaking of artistry) I will probably add to my collection of Pacific NW Coast Indian art in the unique style of the area.

36521f978362bc285576ccd7d527d9dc.jpg

Usually prints but with unlimited luggage capability this time (no air) maybe carvings.

Fudge as noted above, smoked salmon from Taku in Juneau, and Ray Troll tee shirts from his gallery on Creek Street in Ketchikan. He specializes in fish and fossils....

And I pick up a couple of jars of devil's club salve - great for cuts or burns and Skookum salve made from a variety of native medicinal plants.

My wife went to Alaska knowing what she was going to buy once we were there. Buchaluk. Im not sure of the spelling . Those are the fury boots worn by the indigenous people. And they aren't cheap.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Forums mobile app

Mukluks are Eskimo boots.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are Ulus the same everywhere? The ones on the Tongass Trading website are pretty inexpensive. Are they not as high quality?

The Ulu Factory ones are very good and are made in Alaska. Tongass Trading's website says that's what they are selling. I bought one at the Ulu Factory in Anchorage. The Tongass Trading prices on line are cheaper than the online Ulu Factory prices before shipping, but Tongass has high charges for shipping and Ulu Factory has free shipping. I don't recall what I paid in the Ulu Factory store.

If getting it to use rather than to prop in a display cabinet, the sheath is handy for safely storing the ulu.

Don't usually buy souvenirs at all. However, the native-owned gift shop at the top of the tram in Juneau is large and has a lot of authentic goods, including fine art. We were there in August and they had a great end-of-season sale. I did most of my Christmas shopping.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Smoked salmon in Ketchikan, but they had it vacuum sealed so it was a space saver in my bag. A couple of shirts in Skagway. There was also this neat popcorn place in Skagway, so we grabbed some caramel corn. Didn't buy a thing in Victoria or Juneau.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums