Newcastle,NSW

lynsteve

Cruising into Newcastle for the day on the Radiance, had a quick look though the threads, a couple of questions, if i need to hire a car say to go to Port Stephensis the cbd far from the terminal or is it easier to do a tour, what other things are their to do.

stevo

Cruising into Newcastle for the day on the Radiance, had a quick look though the threads, a couple of questions, if i need to hire a car say to go to Port Stephensis the cbd far from the terminal or is it easier to do a tour, what other things are their to do.

stevo

Great choice to head up to Pt Stephens for the day. Easy driving, beautiful spot. I am not sure where the Radiance will be docked, but if it is where I think, then it is a small hike (perhaps a half hr walk) into town....but not sure. I would assume most of the hire car places would meet you at the dock. Not much to do for a full day in Newcastle itself. If you stayed in town, I would suggest you head to Nobbys Beach, see Ft Scratchley. You could even catch the ferry over to Stockton Beach.

If it was me, I would def hire the car and go directly to Pt Stephens, spend the day there first....that way you would get enough time to drive around to Nobbys Beach and the Fort (back in the city) on your return. You can do Nobbys and Ft Scratchley in an hr easily. On the way to Pt Stephens is the Williamstown RAAF base. If interested in this, they have small tours there.

Sorry I can't help any more.

Jen

• 5 months later...
Great choice to head up to Pt Stephens for the day. Easy driving, beautiful spot. I am not sure where the Radiance will be docked, but if it is where I think, then it is a small hike (perhaps a half hr walk) into town....but not sure. I would assume most of the hire car places would meet you at the dock. Not much to do for a full day in Newcastle itself. If you stayed in town, I would suggest you head to Nobbys Beach, see Ft Scratchley. You could even catch the ferry over to Stockton Beach.

If it was me, I would def hire the car and go directly to Pt Stephens, spend the day there first....that way you would get enough time to drive around to Nobbys Beach and the Fort (back in the city) on your return. You can do Nobbys and Ft Scratchley in an hr easily. On the way to Pt Stephens is the Williamstown RAAF base. If interested in this, they have small tours there.

Sorry I can't help any more.

Jen

Hi Jen

Do you think it is doable to go to Port Stephens and take in a tour of sandboarding at Stockton Beach if we rent a car? Our port time is 10am-7pm

Thanks!

When we docked in Newcastle on the Rhapsody in December we had to go by shuttle into Newcastle - probably a 5 mins drive. We were not allowed to simply walk off the ship and into the CBD. Shuttles were free and continuous. Private cars were not allowed into that docking area.

I thought the Newcastle Tourist Association were fantastic - all the volunteers were so helpful and they made visiting their city very easy, and very friendly.

bobhsv's suggestions are great. Port Stephens is less than an hour's drive. Not sure where the nearest car hire place would be in the city but one of those wonderful volunteers (and there are lots of them!!) would be able to point out the nearest and best I'm sure.

Hi Jen

Do you think it is doable to go to Port Stephens and take in a tour of sandboarding at Stockton Beach if we rent a car? Our port time is 10am-7pm

Thanks!

Yes, very doable. Most of the sandboarding tours leave from Anna Bay, which is in the Pt Stephens area. You will enter along Nelson Bay Rd. If it were me, and depending on the weather, I would do the sandboarding first, then head into the township of Nelson Bay (the main town for the area). Follow the coastal road around to Shoal Bay, eat there perhaps, and continue on to Fingal Bay (beautiful views from the lookout).

I would begin to head back from Nelson Bay around 3.30pm, no later, as the traffic around Newcastle city area will be building up. The quickest road is via Mayfield and across the bridge....do NOT head out to the Pacific Highway....traffic holdups, takes longer, busier road etc. Check on google maps. Once back in Newcastle, you may have time to drive to Nobbys Beach, park there, plenty of parking areas, see the lighthouse, beach, and Ft Scratchley (prob not enough time to go in here).

There is so much to see/do.....we often spend a week around Nelson Bay, but we also often go for the day.

Jen

I was on the Radiance last weekend in Newcastle. We caught the free shuttle bus to Queens Wharf, about 15 minutes drive away (with a bit of traffic). The shuttle buses frequently depart the pier and Queen's Wharf. From there, I wandered around the CBD and caught the free government bus (route 555), which took me on a half hour loop of the Newcastle surrounding areas.

In terms of hiring a car to Port Stephens, I do not recall seeing a car hire depot near Queens Wharf. I do remember seeing a tour bus at Newcastle railway station (about 5 minutes walk from Queens Wharf) that took tourists to Port Stephens. I am not sure of its schedule though.

You may be better off joining a shore excursion organised by Royal Caribbean. It may be slightly more pricing, but at least you don't have to worry about time constraints and finding your way to/from Port Stephens. It is a full day's activity after all, and like one of the other posters have said, the traffic can be a bit nasty at times.

stevo

The nearest Hire car company to the Port is Europcar at Wickham. It is a short taxi trip from the wharf and would cost about $10. Taxi to other rental companies would be $20 plus. Port Stephens Coaches have regular (hourly) service to the Port Stephens area. They depart from the bus terminal at the Railway station.

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting this older thread and after a bit of input please from locals and those who have visited.

Planning a day port day (a tues) and would like some exercise (walking), viewpoints, and then a couple of craft beer pubs in town. Wifi would be a plus also.

It's in March so would just stay flexible with the weather.

Not planning at this stage in heading further out of town.

My plan at this stage:

1. Take the shuttle to Queens Wharf;

2. Walk to Nobby's Beach and then the walkway through Strezlecki to Bar Beach.

3. Back to CDB; there seem to be some craft beer places around Darby St and King St.

(Foghorn, Hop Factory, Central)

4. Back to Queens Wharf Hotel.

How does that sound as a plan, and any other areas of interest which would be nearby if I did something like that ?

Thanks.

Resurrecting this older thread and after a bit of input please from locals and those who have visited.

Planning a day port day (a tues) and would like some exercise (walking), viewpoints, and then a couple of craft beer pubs in town. Wifi would be a plus also.

It's in March so would just stay flexible with the weather.

Not planning at this stage in heading further out of town.

My plan at this stage:

1. Take the shuttle to Queens Wharf;

2. Walk to Nobby's Beach and then the walkway through Strezlecki to Bar Beach.

3. Back to CDB; there seem to be some craft beer places around Darby St and King St.

(Foghorn, Hop Factory, Central)

4. Back to Queens Wharf Hotel.

How does that sound as a plan, and any other areas of interest which would be nearby if I did something like that ?

Thanks.

Quoted the wrong post above somehow, but the same answer "easy"

Walk to nobbys is about 15 minutes.

Personally the walk back from Bar Beach is a bit far.

Darby street is an "Eat Street" and some nice places and I suspect some craft beers. (don't drink anymore so don't pay much attention.

A trip on the "Old Tram" is, I am told good, as it will give you a look at some of the historic parts of town with some pretty good commentary, I'm lead to believe (never done it maybe one day I should).

The art Gallery is on Laman Street, just off Darby, and has some good exhibitions.

Re other points of interest it really depends on what your interests are, a couple of museums just near where they drop you, some visitors like to visit the Cathederal, if nothing else a great view.

Personally the walk back from Bar Beach is a bit far.

Darby street is an "Eat Street" and some nice places and I suspect some craft beers. (don't drink anymore so don't pay much attention.

Thanks Mr Gut, knew you'd quickly pop up with some info.

Yep, I'll stay flexi on how far I go on the walkway.

I just noticed The Customs House Hotel.

The outdoors there looks like a nice stop after the walk back as well.

Thanks Mr Gut, knew you'd quickly pop up with some info.

Yep, I'll stay flexi on how far I go on the walkway.

I just noticed The Customs House Hotel.

The outdoors there looks like a nice stop after the walk back as well.

Customs house is a nice spot, but the balcony on the Brewery (unless they've changed the name) right where the Shuttles drop you is nice too. Also a few bars and restaurants a bit further down towards the crown Plazza are right on the harbour and pleasant.

Not much in town in the shopping department nowadays. I f you want some lunch hard to go past a Harry'/ Pie or Fish and Chips from Scratchleys take away (they're pretty much opposite each other) on the grassed area there on the harbours edge.

Fort Scratchley is a good visit too, it's up near Nobby's.

Feel free to yell if there anything else, I'll try and as about craft beers in Darby, sure some of my mates will have some suggestions.

Got some helpful mates when I ask about booze

The grain store Scott st near the old train station

Foghorn Brewhouse is in King Street, near Darby Street intersection.

Central on 145 King st is a few down from Foghorn

Hop Factory in Darby Street

Honeysuckle hotel was the one I was trying to think of near Crown Plazza

Thanks for all that Mr Gut.

Sounds like I have a plan.

Long walk along the seaside walkway;

A couple of craft ales;

One Harry's Tiger;

A cleansing ale while watching the shuttle queue reduce.

All topped off with Bonza weather of course.

Sounds like you've got it dusted, with one warning, earlier this year poor old Harry's sold out one day.

When are you in town, if I'm in might have to wander down for a tiger too.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mr Gut.

Just back from Solstice and a very good cruise.

Had a nice day in Newcastle walking around including the lovely Memorial Walk.

Popped into the Grain Store for a drop, but must admit I decided I didn't really need a stop at Harrys.

Managed to avoid the showers as well.

Thanks Mr Gut.

Just back from Solstice and a very good cruise.

Had a nice day in Newcastle walking around including the lovely Memorial Walk.

Popped into the Grain Store for a drop, but must admit I decided I didn't really need a stop at Harrys.

Managed to avoid the showers as well.

Sorry about the weather we put on for you.

Actually splurged last night and took Mrs Gut to Harry's for dinner.