Cruise Critic member in Israel, happy to answer questions

happy trailer

We're scheduled to visit Masada in a few weeks. But the trip' from Ashdod is a bit long. For people who have done it... Is it worth it?

The trip to Masada is indeed a long trip (around 2 hours) how ever, no doubts, it worth it!

Masada is one of the most important, famous and visited site in Israel!

Don't miss it!

+1

And, one of the most scenic sites in Israel.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ruth,

I just returned from 3 weeks spent in Israel. Thanks again for you earlier help. The weather was absolutely gorgeous and we were able to see and do everything on our list. My personal favorites were: Masada, hiking in the desert (hot, though), swimming in the Dead Sea, Jerusalem's old city (wow!), Petra, Caesarea, and, of course, visiting Yad Vashem (which I have long wanted to visit & cried my heart out). It is an amazing country & I hope to return one day.

• Like 1

Hi Ruth,

I just returned from 3 weeks spent in Israel. Thanks again for you earlier help. The weather was absolutely gorgeous and we were able to see and do everything on our list. My personal favorites were: Masada, hiking in the desert (hot, though), swimming in the Dead Sea, Jerusalem's old city (wow!), Petra, Caesarea, and, of course, visiting Yad Vashem (which I have long wanted to visit & cried my heart out). It is an amazing country & I hope to return one day.

Very happy (tho' not at all surprised ;)) that you enjoyed your trip, and glad I could be of help! Thank you for coming back to let everyone know :)

(BTW, at the very end of your visit to Yad Vashem, you stand looking out over a vista, facing a town across the valley. That's my town; we watched the construction of the Yad Vashem remodeling from our terrace.)

I am also on my way back from three amazing days in Israel. This was my third visit and just as meaningful as the others. Most importantly I want to let people know that Israel feels so safe and never once did I feel as if I were in any danger. I feel more afraid in Los Angeles.

IMO everyone should visit Israel at least once in their lifetime and a visit to Yad Vashem should be mandatory so the world will never forget the Holocaust.

PS the rugelah at Machane Yehuda market are not to be missed, either. Lol:D

i am also on my way back from three amazing days in israel. This was my third visit and just as meaningful as the others. Most importantly i want to let people know that israel feels so safe and never once did i feel as if i were in any danger. I feel more afraid in los angeles.

Imo everyone should visit israel at least once in their lifetime and a visit to yad vashem should be mandatory so the world will never forget the holocaust.

Ps the rugelah at machane yehuda market are not to be missed, either. Lol:d

👍🏻😀👍🏻

• 4 weeks later...

We're hearing that the foreign press is not giving this much if any coverage, so perhaps that's why no one has asked about it-

Since Tuesday morning, there have been hundreds of fires in Israel. 70,000 people were evacuated in the port city of Haifa because of multiple fires there, and there has been much damage throughout the country with hundreds of homes damaged or destroyed, and thousands of acres burned.

While most of the fires are now under control, the strong dry winds are expected to continue for several more days, and rain is not forecasted until Wednesday, so there is still a high danger for more fires.

Here are two articles about the fires, with videos in each article. The first article is mainly about the fires in Haifa, while the second article focuses on fires in the Jerusalem hills, where I live:

http://www.timesofisrael.com/75000-p...-terror-rages/

http://www.timesofisrael.com/jerusal...nside-village/

• 2 months later...
When in Ashdod we intend booking a taxi into Jerusalem.

There are conflicting reports regarding where the taxis pick up from, will it be at the ship or at the port gates. Also conflicting reports if we can expect a free shuttle bus to take us from the ship to the port gate or if is an easy walk.

Any help would be appreciated, we will be on the Celebrity Silhouette 1st November.

Hi Sunnydale

We are taking similar cruise to yours next October on Celebrity Silhouette and had heard that last year Celebrity were charging $20 a day for their shuttle bus and also that those not taking a cruise excursion could not get a shuttle until all the regular excursion buses had left. What was your experience last November? Any information would be very much appreciated. I cannot find much up to date information on this anywhere so it seems to have only changed in 2016!!

Many thanks

Carol (Pinky60)

Hi Sunnydale

We are taking similar cruise to yours next October on Celebrity Silhouette and had heard that last year Celebrity were charging $20 a day for their shuttle bus and also that those not taking a cruise excursion could not get a shuttle until all the regular excursion buses had left. What was your experience last November? Any information would be very much appreciated. I cannot find much up to date information on this anywhere so it seems to have only changed in 2016!!

Many thanks

Carol (Pinky60)

We have visited Ashdod twice on Thomson Spirit. The ships usually dock by a customs shed that everyone has to pass through. On the other side of the shed there are taxis lined up plus the shuttle buses. We booked our taxi with David Vazana (dvazana80@gmail.com). He was great. He picked us up by the shed, took us to Jerusalem and showed us round. He has a port licence and a licence to enter old Jerusalem.

All of the regular excursions left the Spirit before others got off however, they allowed us off early because we had booked a time for the taxi!!

If you have not booked your taxi in advance there are some taxis waiting at the entrance but they were charging more than we paid. Jerusalem is about 1.5hrs from Ashdod by taxi.

• 1 month later...

http://www.thenorman.com/restaurants-and-bars/library-bar

Elegant, and top of the line. Business casual+ recommended - reservations not taken

http://www.bellboybar.com/

A step back into the roaring twenties- Funky dress recommended - reservations a must. -

http://www.whiskeybm.co.il/he/home/a/main/

Whisk[e]y Galore!!! - Dress well, please. - Closed on Friday, repons Saturday night. "Alternative" kosher - Reservations a must

Hello

My husband and I will be on the celebrity visiting Ashod on October 4 and 5

Sukkot will commence on the sundown on th 5th October

My question. Is What will be open and what. Will be closed as far as tourist sites

Hanya

If you are on the Silhouette, according to the Celebrity website, the ship will dock in Ashdod in the morning of October 3, depart Ashdod at 10 PM on October 4, and be docked in Haifa on October 5 from 6 AM-6 PM.

According to Google, Sukkot begins at sunset on October 4. Along the Ashdod beach and in some other places, such as Tel Aviv, many of the restaurants, bars, cafes, and kiosks will remain open throughout the afternoon and evening. The kosher ones will close in the afternoon at some point. Almost all retail stores and shops in Ashdod and elsewhere will close in the afternoon at some point, and public transportation in Ashdod and elsewhere will also stop operating in the afternoon at some point.

On October 5, until after sunset, all kosher restaurants and eateries, along with any stores observing the holiday, will be closed. In Haifa, there will be plenty of non-kosher/non-observing places open and there will be limited public transportation.

If you are on the Silhouette, according to the Celebrity website, the ship will dock in Ashdod in the morning of October 3, depart Ashdod at 10 PM on October 4, and be docked in Haifa on October 5 from 6 AM-6 PM.

According to Google, Sukkot begins at sunset on October 4. Along the Ashdod beach and in some other places, such as Tel Aviv, many of the restaurants, bars, cafes, and kiosks will remain open throughout the afternoon and evening. The kosher ones will close in the afternoon at some point. Almost all retail stores and shops in Ashdod and elsewhere will close in the afternoon at some point, and public transportation in Ashdod and elsewhere will also stop operating in the afternoon at some point.

On October 5, until after sunset, all kosher restaurants and eateries, along with any stores observing the holiday, will be closed. In Haifa, there will be plenty of non-kosher/non-observing places open and there will be limited public transportation.

We are in the planning stages. Of selecting our tour

For ashood with celebrity Silouette

We are planing to stay over in Jerusalem

Will the tours operate a normal tourist schedule ?

Will we be able to see all the historical sites ?

And

My fear is not getting back on ship on October 4 th

If transportation stops even though this is a celebrity tour

Thank your information

Hanya

I have no idea how the holiday affects Celebrity's shore excursions/tours, but I would be surprised if they don't take the holiday into account and make sure you get to see the historical sites before they close on the afternoon on October 4. If you are concerned about how the holiday affects Celebrity's tours, I recommend contacting Celebrity directly.

Any organized tour that includes transportation from/to the Ashdod port will get you back to the port regardless of the holiday. Tour operators that observe the holiday might not offer the same tours on October 4 that they would offer on non-holiday/non-Shabbat days - they might only offer half-day/morning/early afternoon tours - and they wouldn't offer any tours on October 5.

Have a great trip!

Travel Agent friend of mine said she is checking

In the meantime ....

http://www.aisrael.org/?CategoryID=1304

https://landlopers.com/2011/04/03/walking-via-dolorosa-stations-cross-jerusalem-guide

Looks like shallow steps at the First Station, otherwise just typical Old City stone streets

Edited by Marian Paroo

• 2 months later...

shalom Alan

Since we last spoke ,

We have booked our tours From Ashdod on the silouette in October

Our tours will take us back to the ship after the tours are completed

I have a question to ask you , if we decided to stay back in Jerusalem On tour day 1 and not go back to the ship with the tour group and go back to some sites and have supper in the Jerusalem

How much would a taxi cost us back to the port . Approx ?

And does the taxi take you straight to the gate or there is walking to do ....

And do you recommend a particular taxi brand name ?

And what is your favourite favourite restaurant in jeruselum That you would recommend ?

Hanya

One website estimates the tax fare from Jerusalem to the Port of Ashdod to be ILS 360.

I'm fairly certain that only certain taxi companies can enter the port itself and bring passengers all the way up to the dock, if any. Maybe Celebrity has more accurate or up-to-date information about this.

While I do not have a particular favorite restaurant in Jerusalem, there are a bunch of relatively new restaurants and bars in and around Mahane Yehuda (the main outdoor market or shuk). For example, I have heard good things about Crave. Just remember, the kosher ones will be closed on Shabbat and holidays (which start and end at sunset).