Seasickness and Cruises in Norway

Hi there -

We want to see the Norwegian fjords, and it would appear that cruising is the best way to avoid packing and unpacking with 2 days here, 1 day here, etc. We work and need to use vacation as a bit of a rest too - the packing drives me crazy!

Wondering if choose a smaller ship that leaves from Oslo area - or Copenhagen, but that would add more sea - and works around the country and into the fjords, if seasickness would be a major issue, as I would assume these trips would hug the shore somewhat.

I do wear a patch, but just graduated from Oasis class on Royal Caribbean with it's super big, stable ships, to booking a Celebrity cruise half the size. BUT they cruise the gentle Caribbean, not the North Atlantic.

Any advice? Would so appreciate it!

The water in the fjords is pretty calm, the situation in the North Sea can vary. The first time I cruised the fjords (out of Copenhagen) the seas were rough on the first day (a sea day) and I was deathly seasick. The second time (also out of Copenhagen), I was completely fine until the last night. I'm sailing the fjords again in June out of Hamburg.

It doesn't really matter where you sail from (not counting Oslo of course), you still have to sail on open seas to get to the fjords, which like I said can be rough. I've found that ginger helps with seasickness. Because fjords itineraries spend so much time sailing in the fjords, I think they're a great choice for people who are prone to seasickness (like me).

My worst cruise ever was the Western Med. in January... we sailed through a hurricane and I was seasick for pretty much the entire cruise.

Hurtigruten offers cruises departing out of Bergen. Ships are smaller, able to cruise closer to shore, and don't cross the North Sea on the fjord cruises. The newer ships are very nice and offer a superb fjord cruising experience. We cruised out of Bergen and very much enjoyed our cruise.

Unfortunately you can get rough seas just outside the fjords. I did a Hurtigruten trip many years ago, and we had quite a lot of rough weather along the Norwegian coast. The last night was terrible, we were 4 hours late into Bergen because of a storm, and the crockery laid out in the dining room ready for breakfast in the morning had all been smashed!

We have cruised to Norway numerous times and I am afraid I have to say that on each and every cruise we had wonderfully calm seas but also " rocking and rolling" especially when crossing a portion of the North Sea for example out of Amsterdam. As I am prone to sea sickness myself I still wouldn't want NOT to go because the fjords are so exceptionally beautiful. And I have developed a strategy against seasickness that helps quite well: booking a midships cabin if possible, eating lightly ( no fatty comfort food, no alcohol) during those days with higher waves and ginger tablets plus fresh air. After a a day or two I have developed my sea legs and can enjoy the cruise.

So helpful. I have to avoid ANY seasickness or my vacation will be ruined. I think I should look into Hurtigruten but that still worries me - good advice from everyone, thank you. We just want a bunch of nice, peaceful fjords!

If you go for Hurtigruten, keep some things in mind: Docking time in the ports is limited, you sometimes have only half an hour or so, so you should consider taking excursions with Hurtigruten - which are expensive. Try getting a cruise on the more modern ships of the fleet like the Spitsbergen, the Trollfjord or the Midnatsol - they bigger and offer more amenities. Less chance of seasickness on the bigger ships, as well. Keep in mind though that the cheaper cabin categories are tiny, and I mean tiny. If you can afford a suite with a balcony, that's the best choice of course, or at least one of the bigger oceanview cabins.

The Hurtigruten trip from Bergen to Kirkenes and/ or vice versa gets raving reviews - we're planning to do one in the winter to see the night skies and possibly the aurora.

You are unlikely to be seasick in the Fjords themselves.

Although I am a Hurtigruten fan the most movement I have ever experienced on a ship was on one of theirs around the North Cape!

But many Fjord Cruises do not go that far north.

The two places I would particularly advise you to visit are Flam and Gerainger. Both villages are at the head of their respective Fjords and the quite lengthy sails into and out of the Fjords are not to be missed.

Holland America are now taking some of their larger ships up to the Fjords and could be worth considering.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have sailed to Norway twice. Once in May, the other in August. Both to/from The Netherlands.

We were lucky, both times the weather was wonderful and the sea very calm.

It is nature, nobody knows what it will be when you sail.

I'm looking at the Hurtigruten site and wow - I would never have known this existed without these boards - thanks again!

I did look at HA and Norwegian but it seems they all must cross from Europe and that's the patch of sea that makes me most nervous.

This is fascinating!

I'm looking at the Hurtigruten site and wow - I would never have known this existed without these boards - thanks again!

I did look at HA and Norwegian but it seems they all must cross from Europe and that's the patch of sea that makes me most nervous.

This is fascinating!

Just be aware if you book their normal full board, I am fairly sure there is just a set meal served in the evening, no choice is available unless you upgrade to the 'A la carte' option.

To be you could just as easily get rough seas along the coast of Norway, than crossing from Amsterdam or Copenhagen, you never can tell.

Just be aware if you book their normal full board, I am fairly sure there is just a set meal served in the evening, no choice is available unless you upgrade to the 'A la carte' option.

To be you could just as easily get rough seas along the coast of Norway, than crossing from Amsterdam or Copenhagen, you never can tell.

Here is a link for Hurtigruten on CC:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=821

Regarding the above post: Mid-day, the dinner menu is displayed, and one can ask for "something else" (which apparently can be something specific requested from what is available, e.g., at the cafe).

The a la carte menu is available on a meal by meal basis, without "signing up" for the full cruise. And if one has "full board" on the cruise, one only pays a modest upcharge for the a la carte restaurant.

One can select how many courses one wishes (paying less for fewer courses, etc.).