River cruise age range

cshim

IME you would be on the young side

most of the folks we've encountered were retired. As 50 somethings even we were younger than the majority, but not the youngest. There were a couple of 40's couples ... and several younger folk typically traveling with grand parents for a graduation present or similar ....

River cruises are of course a bit $$ and this impacts the average customer demographic. I've only done Viking but I'd expect this same demographic could get stronger on other (pricier) lines. Note too than on any cruise line, longer cruises tend to have older crowds .....

Looking at your cruise history in your sig ... I think you'd fit right in with no problems ..... probably you'd find a river cruise pleasantly informal .....

hangin' out after dinner (in our dinner clothes) on a Danube cruise

100_0306_zpsv12efrd5.jpg

Judging from my own cruise and river cruisers comments here over the past few years you are much younger than the average cruiser. Range differs slightly from line to line, with Viking actually having mentioned to gear to the not so young, but 55 to 80 is my impression. Lively 85's and averagely active 35 year olds have been encountered (on my cruise) with the odd teenager or child making an appearance. CroisiEurope has a stronger attraction for families in general - of the European lines - but others offer family cruises.

If you are looking for a Danube cruise and would be prefer a younger demographic you could have a look at the new cruises offered as "active" with bike tours included, for example.

notamermaid

• Members

The youngest demographic I've seen on a river cruise was on the Ama wine cruise I did last November. A lot of that had to do with the partner winery, as it was from Portland, Oregon. Ama also has more active cruises through Backroads that attract more people on the "younger" side.

Generally, though, 40s is considered "young" for a river cruise. U by Uniworld is hoping to switch that up when they enter the market next year. They are targeting ages 21-45.

My one and only river cruise (so far) was 8 days on the Danube, and was definitely a 60-80 crowd, with a few 40s and 50s thrown in. I wouldn't let age be a factor though. If you enjoy a more personal cruise experience, culture, history, touring, etc., you will find a lot in common with your fellow passengers.

Roz

When I took my first river cruise I was about 56, and there was one couple younger than me. Since then, I took my 30 year old daughter with me, and she was not the youngest. She had a great time with the older folks and wouldn't hesitate to go again.

Going on a croisi cruise on the Danube at the end of this month. We will have our 8 month through 9 month old(will be 9 months on the latter end of the trip). I'd expect us to be on the younger end given that it's 12 nights during the normal school year. Wife is 29, I'm 37. Croisi does allow children under two on for free whereas many of the other river cruise lines require kids to be much older. So in that sense, there seems like a good chance of other younger couples whose kids are not of school age.

But, it's expensive compared to ocean cruises, so maybe there won't be many other couples in our age range.

Should know soon

Wife (28) and I (30) will be on an Avalon Danube cruise from Vienna to Budapest the beginning of May. 2 nights in hotels on each end which will be a good way to test out the river cruise experience. Have a 1.5 year old at home so can't be gone too long.

We're not into the party scene, and my wife will be 5 months pregnant which may restrict our mobility, so we may fit right in with the senior crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 64 and my mobility isn't restricted. ;p

It's hard to generalize about ages and activity levels. On my Uniworld cruise, I chose all the Go Active excursions. The people on those excursions were definitely in their 60s and 70s, but we were all in fit shape and used to being active at home. There were passengers younger than us by 20 years whose activity levels were limited by obesity, bad knees, arthritis, etc.

Roz

Mostly 50's up but on our last Christmas market cruise, a group of us who met on the cruise ranged in age from 83-40's and we called ourselves the fantastic 8 as we were very active lounge friends. Most people are seasoned travelers and enjoy meeting people and fun. Enjoy

I sailed on Emerald last year. At 46 I was probably one of the youngest passengers. Overall I enjoyed the experience. I guess the only thing that as a younger person I found the cruise to be a little too structured. I would rather spend time in port than eat lunch on the ship. What I loved was the pool on Emerald. I am going to cruise with AMA who have more tours in each port which includes cycling. I felt very comfortable with all the passengers on Emerald. They were all lovely, I made good friends.

This does not directly answer your question however I can share my experience traveling recently on a river cruise. We just got back this week from a Viking cruise on the Seine.. myself and wife 41 and two sons, 16 and 14. Our fellow travelers were much older, some would not speak and others were very friendly..we had a great time regardless of the age difference. I would expect to find most passengers to be 60 and above and most looking to mingle with folks closer to their age. We really did enjoy the cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On our Scenic cruise last June I would say average age was in the 60's. It was an active, very friendly and fun-loving group of passengers who we enjoyed being around. Scenic is an Australian owned company, and the passenger mix on our cruise was Australians, New Zealanders, Canadians, Europeans and some from the US. We are looking forward to our next Scenic cruise in September.

We went on a Danube cruise this past fall and we are in our mid-40's. Yes, we were younger than most folks, but it wasn't an issue for us. We had a great time, met some really fun, great people.

Obviously it depends on the person, but my husband and I aren't (weren't?) a good fit for large boat/big cruise ship type cruises. Just not our cup of tea. We decided to try a river cruise, and I'm so glad we did! We had a fantastic time, and are planning our next one!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm late jumping in here but we took our 1st (and fingers crossed not last) river cruise in 2014. Hubbie & I were 43 & 46 at the time & there were several other people in our age range. We can only travel in summer (he's a teacher) so maybe school being out drove down the age demographic a little? Anyway, no worries at all-we had an awesome time with several of our fellow passengers (and they were older than us by a good 15-20 years). We hardly spoke with those in our age group. Bottom line, if you have common interests age doesn't matter in the least. Age is only a number. Enjoy!

It is true that historically, River Cruise clientele have been in the older age range - with time and money being two things they will have more of. It is changing though, as younger generations are appreciating the same things that make River Cruising great - traveling to Europe's Capitals (and beyond!), adventuring in charming villages, taking in breathtaking scenery - all in great accommodations, with top class cuisine and enriching tours included.

At CroisiEurope, we have a lot of points that attract families on board - our low pricing, cruises starting as short as 3 nights on board, more interesting destinations, variety of excursions - including our new Discovery package with active and offbeat options, discounts for children and families, and triple occupancy cabins.

We believe anyone, at any age, can and should join us aboard.