Kinderdijk or Delft - One day in Rotterdam

Hi,

We will be in port in Rotterdam from 11am-8pm. Both Delft and Kinderdijk look interesting. Which one is better to visit? Should we try to visit both in one day? Should we save some time for Rotterdam itself (which also looks interesting)?

Thanks!

Depends on whether or not you want to see windmills or china. That's up to you.

That said, we've been to Kinderdijk and enjoyed it.

As for Rotterdam itself, yes, it is a very nice strolling city. We spend three days there pre-cruise. It has some wonderful museums. We are not typically museum people but we found some of the unusual ones, like the tax museum, quite interesting. So if you are museum and city people, I'd suggest Rotterdam.

I'm not that crazy about Rotterdam but either Delft or Kinderdijk would make a lovely day. There's really nothing in Kinderdijk except the windmills, but they are very interesting and if it's a pretty day there are lots of lovely walks. Delft is like a postcard The town is beautiful with or without the pottery! Easily walkable and so pretty. Can't go wrong with either of those places IMHO. I don't think I'd try to do both in 1 day. Seems like you'd be rushing all day and both of those sites are really for wandering and exploring on your own.

Kinderdijk is all about the windmills. There is a nice boat trip but if I had only one day I would plump for Delft. There is a canal tour, guided walking tour, Vermeer trail, very 'cozy' square Beestenmarkt with numerous cafes and the big market place with the Old and New Church. There is also just outside the historic centre the Delft Blue porcelain factory. .As others post, Rotterdam itself has a very good museum quarter. You could also take a harbour cruise and visit the Euromast. There is also a super new covered Market.

Enjoy the day!

• 2 weeks later...

FYI - there is also a large open air market in Delft (in the square between the Nieuwe Kirk and the Stadhuis) every Thursday.

There is very frequent direct train service between Rotterdam Central train station to Delft station. The journey takes approximately 15 minutes and costs 3.30 euros each way and the centre of Delft is about a 5 minute walk from the train station. Train info is here: http://www.ns.nl/en .