Any Last Minute Advice?

NayaSantaFe

Our countdown has begun and we will be leaving to our Alaska cruise in a month! We are so excited! We have all our excursions booked: fishing in Ketchikan, fly over glaciers in Juneau and Yukon train tour in Skagway. We started packing and included our binoculars, camera, waterproof jackets, gloves, hats and fleeces.

Since this is our first cruise to Alaska I am afraid we can be missing or forgetting something. I am also worried about not getting the most out of cruising the Inside Passage....any last minute tips or advice before we go? Anything that has helped you'll enjoy your Alaska trips even more? Any tips or advice will help and will be greatly appreciated!

fly over glaciers in Juneau

I'd suggest you do some research on a "Plan B" for Juneau, in case the weather doesn't cooperate for your flight. I'm not saying that WILL happen, just that it might, and you don't want to spend a bunch of your port time figuring out "now what do we do?"

I always travel in May, but I have not heard of any success catching with fishing out of Ketchikan. Hopefully you will be ok with "fishing" and not "catching"?

Yikes, packing already, way too early for me, It's usually the day before. :)

I agree with the above, have back up plans and phone numbers if you have any cancellations. Can happen for the fishing trip as well. Know what you would do in advance. Don't waste time trying to figure something out on the spot.

NayaSantaFe. Let us know how your trip goes.

Taking Celebrity solstice the following month. I plan on packing a coup,e of weeks out to make sure I dont leave anything.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I use a list and break it down between carry on & checked luggage. Each suitcase has half mine & half my husband's items (just in case one suitcase goes missing). I highlight items on my list upon packing them so that nothing is forgotten. This method works for me so there is not stress in packing.

Kathy

NayaSantaFe. Let us know how your trip goes.

Taking Celebrity solstice the following month. I plan on packing a coup,e of weeks out to make sure I dont leave anything.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

With small kids I always like to pack in advance, that way I have time to throw things in the suitcase when I remember them. Lists are always a huge help for me as well. I always make a list for hubby and I and another for the kids and cross things off as I pack them or add things as soon as I remember them.

I always travel in May, but I have not heard of any success catching with fishing out of Ketchikan. Hopefully you will be ok with "fishing" and not "catching"?

Yikes, packing already, way too early for me, It's usually the day before. :)

I agree with the above, have back up plans and phone numbers if you have any cancellations. Can happen for the fishing trip as well. Know what you would do in advance. Don't waste time trying to figure something out on the spot.

I have backup plans for every port just in case ;) Also, hubby will be the only one fishing and it seems like he is fine with trying even if he doesn't catch anything. Meanwhile I will be exploring Ketchikan with the kids.

We leave on our cruise in 39 days.....we too are doing the Taku Lodge Flightseeing trip in Juneau. Obviously, we want to have a back up plan and know that we would like to do whale watching, but what are our chances of getting on a trip last minute? Has anyone had experience with this before?

Hard to believe we a little over a month away and when we first booked the cruise, we had 488 days to go. It went fast!

One item to pack that a lot of people don't think about is a highlighter. It's nice to have one to mark the things in the daily newsletter that interest you. That's my little tip for the day. =)

We leave on our cruise in 39 days.....we too are doing the Taku Lodge Flightseeing trip in Juneau. Obviously, we want to have a back up plan and know that we would like to do whale watching, but what are our chances of getting on a trip last minute? Has anyone had experience with this before?

Hard to believe we a little over a month away and when we first booked the cruise, we had 488 days to go. It went fast!

There are a lot of whale watch vendors, you won't be able to be picky with vendors, but usually you can get walk up space. I do a lot of add on stuff in Alaska, walk up. I'd suggest you have a multiple vendor list to call at the last minute.

There are a lot of whale watch vendors, you won't be able to be picky with vendors, but usually you can get walk up space. I do a lot of add on stuff in Alaska, walk up. I'd suggest you have a multiple vendor list to call at the last minute.

Thanks BQ.....I knew you would have the answer!;) I already have the phone numbers for several vendors programmed in my phone so will see what happens. I really hope we can fly and see Alaska and the glacier fields by air.....this is the excursion I'm most excited for. Yes, I'll be bummed if it's cancelled.....but we're in Alaska on a 2 week adventure so it's all good!

Thanks BQ.....I knew you would have the answer!;) I already have the phone numbers for several vendors programmed in my phone so will see what happens. I really hope we can fly and see Alaska and the glacier fields by air.....this is the excursion I'm most excited for. Yes, I'll be bummed if it's cancelled.....but we're in Alaska on a 2 week adventure so it's all good!

We did that Taku Lodge flightseeing tour 6 years ago and loved it. One of the best excursions we have done.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I take a layer of long underwear, pants and shirt. Just like NM layers, layers. Make sure you have something for the rain and wind. Also gloves, scarf and hat. Enjoy your trip to AK. We are doing a land sea starting May 18th.

I am very used to layers, so I don't think dressing appropriately will be a problem. We are taking clothes we normally use during our "spring" season which is usually in the 50s or even snowing like this past week lol.

Anyway, thank you all for your advice!

Any advice of what we should do on the days that we are cruising the Inside passage and Sawyer glacier? Not sure if we should go somewhere specifically on the ship or at a certain time, this is new to us so any advice on this will help alot!

Any advice of what we should do on the days that we are cruising the Inside passage and Sawyer glacier? Not sure if we should go somewhere specifically on the ship or at a certain time, this is new to us so any advice on this will help alot!

Not sure what you want out of your trip, but scenery will be right from before dawn. I am always out early, as this is prime humpback area and I'm always successful seeing them. The entire day is scenic. BUT, I frequently am out - alone- My priority is the lowest outside deck. then going side to side. :)

Not sure what you want out of your trip, but scenery will be right from before dawn. I am always out early, as this is prime humpback area and I'm always successful seeing them. The entire day is scenic. BUT, I frequently am out - alone- My priority is the lowest outside deck. then going side to side. :)

That is fantastic advice Budgetqueen about being on the lower deck for spotting whales! I will definitely make note of this