Would you do anything different?

parentsof5

I found your post touching and beautiful. I hope that your trip in July is absolutely amazing.

I am sorry about the death of your husband and your cancer. I am glad you beat Cancer.

As a way to save money on this Alaska trip, have you considered booking the niece in your cabin. That would be two people per cabin. You could even pay the difference to the parents of what it would have cost if she had been the 3rd person. I think you would still save money.

Sailing with friends, it would make perfect sense to have my niece in my cabin. But this was to be my first adventure as a single woman, so for me, it was important to do this one alone. My family just decided to chime in on my trip, which is ok, but as senseless as it may seem, it's something I need to do.

Charlie

Sailing with friends, it would make perfect sense to have my niece in my cabin. But this was to be my first adventure as a single woman, so for me, it was important to do this one alone. My family just decided to chime in on my trip, which is ok, but as senseless as it may seem, it's something I need to do.

Charlie

I completely understand that. Good for you! I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Based on our single cruise which went to Alaska on Carnival: yes, a balcony room is worth it. We had an extended balcony which was even better.

We had port time that could have been spent off ship, but we didn't. We were off ship for the morning, but came back for lunch and should have gotten off ship again to take the tram in Juneau. I still hold a grudge against Avis in Juneau for not having an agent to rent a car that we had reserved. No rental car ruined half the day for us. At least the goldbelt was sold and Avis had to move. There might be a little justice or karma in this world. I rent many cars for business trips each year and haven't rented with Avis since that incident.

This time (third to Alaska)...not as many clothes. And, not as many pictures. I'm going to enjoy the scenery/what's happening without worrying about "getting the shot".

In Juneau, I'm going to take the Mt Roberts tram...because the last 2 times, I said I was going to and didn't.

If I could have one day back of the time I've spent in Alaska, I would not do the whale watching in Juneau. It was probably the least enjoyable excursion I've done in Alaska - maybe because I've had better whale watching experiences in other ports.

I visited my parents earlier this evening and asked them this question. Without missing a beat, my mom said, "I sure as h#&& wouldn't try the salmon jerky." :D

I can still see her face when she took that first (and last!) bite. LOL!

• 4 weeks later...
I had booked Alaska years back, and my husband talked me out of us going. Said he'd rather be warm for vacation, so we went to the Caribbean yet again. In 2014 he passed away. We never got to Alaska. In Dec of 2014 I booked an Alaska cruise tour for 2016. I needed time to be able to pay for everything I wanted to do. It would be my first adventure as a single woman. My trip was planned for Aug 2016. In July 2016 I was diagnosed with Cancer. I was more upset that I had to cancel my trip than I was initially about having cancer. I am fortunate I caught it in time and i'm now cancer free. I have rebooked my big adventure for this July. Now my sister, brother in law and niece are coming along. I booked the cabin I wanted, I booked the excursions I wanted, and I will do my best to do everything I can in the time I have in Alaska. Because life is too short and you don't know what tomorrow is going to bring.

I agree don't let a few hundred dollars stop you. Enjoy your trip.

I would book inside for a Caribbean cruise, but not for Alaska. that's just me. Booking single and paying double has put some restrictions on how I like to cruise. But if I have to wait to get what I want, I'll wait a little longer.

Charlie

We have a similar story. My husband had sickle cell anemia and only liked warm weather cruises as well. We cruised every two years to give us time to save between vacations. On our last family cruise together he got extremely ill and was taken off the ship in Tampa by ambulance. He spent a week in the hospital there. Luckily my sister was with us to take my kids off the ship and home. After that he never cruised again because he was afraid of getting sick. He died a few years later.

I've wanted to go to on the trip since watching Alaska episode of "The Love Boat" as a kid. This May, my daughter graduated from college and my son from high school. We're celebrating with an Alaska cruise in August. I knew I wanted a balcony. An upgrade on our last Disney cruise spoiled me. I hadn't planned to do any pricey excursions because it would be expensive for three people. But changed my mind and we are spending four days in Seattle pre-cruise. I've been saving for this trip for four years and the budget went out the window with excursions and the hotel in Seattle. Who knows if we will ever get to Alaska again. I plan to enjoy it and hopefully not regret the cost. The best part about planning my trip is pre-cruise shopping, watching YouTube videos and reading CC...LOL!!!

I hope you have a wonderful cruise. You deserve it. Please post cruise review for us .

I am at the Vancouver airport now after solo back-to-back Alaska cruises on Radiance of the Seas - and I wouldn't change one thing! 🙂 (My husband was with me on the Honolulu to Vancouver leg.)

I loved both my inside studio cabin and my ocean view cabin (with a HUGE window) across the hall from each other on deck 4 midship. I ate dinner in the dining room only once on the first Alaska cruise, and ate in the Windjammer (buffet) all the other nights. It was so nice to not have to change clothes for a 2-hour dinner each night - even though I had dressier clothes with me. I loved all of my bucket list excursions. Unfortunately, my Glacier Bay flight from Haines was cancelled, as was a wildlife cruise in Sitka.

I took the SkyTrain from the Waterfront station near Canada Place to the Vancouver airport for $4 CAD. I had 1 large suitcase, a backpack, and my purse - so it wasn't difficult to maneuver my luggage. Long underwear and rain pants are lightweight, and they go a long way in keeping you warm in Alaska!

LOVE this Thread!!! Thank you parentof5 for starting it. Thank you to those who reminded us, how short life can be...I think we all need that reminder.

Our 1st cruise was to the Caribbean, our plan was to book an Oceanview guaranteed, however, HAL had a sale on balcony guaranteed cabins, for the same price as OV, so we went with that. Low and behold, they put us in an Aft Balcony!!!!! WE LOVED IT...and it has spoiled us forever! We have not been on a lot of cruises, but the ones we've take, we have always booked a Balcony. On our first Alaska cruise, we paid extra for an aft, and it was so worth it. We each bought a set of binoculars and spent most of our ship time out on our balcony...for us it was heaven. We didn't go to any ship board shows or anything else, it was way more fun "taking in the beauty of Alaska". I would have to say, the highlight of our trip was the time we spent with each other, "each with our own binoculars", out on our Aft balcony. Just a note; you don't get the wind on the aft. My thoughts, buy your own binoculars, it is so so worth it...and if you don't know anything about binoculars, do a search here on the Alaska board. That's what I did 3 years back...you should be able to find some very good suggestions.

The only thing that I would have changed about our Alaska cruise (May 21-28) was getting a balcony cabin. My spouse always insists on getting one and I have not objected as I enjoy sitting out there. While the weather during our week in Alaska was dry, it was quite cool--too cool to sit outside. The only time we used the balcony was on the evening we departed from Vancouver.

So, if we had cruised in July, the balcony might have been worth it, but in May--not so much.

I would take a heavy winter coat for early May. I didn't want to over pack and ended up with my luggage only weighing 34 pounds. I had plenty of room for my winter coat. It was very cold on our balcony but I loved the balcony because of the wildlife.

I had a balcony in an early August trip.... I found it too cold and windy. Other trips are now cheaper oceanviews.

I agree time of year and whether you are an outdoor person will better justify a balcony.

So, if we had cruised in July, the balcony might have been worth it, but in May--not so much.

I had a suite with a balcony in July and it was incredibly cold. Colder than my May cruises. So one never knows.

I just returned from my cruise last week. I went 10 years ago and had an inside cabin and upgraded to a balcony this time. It was definitely worth the upgrade to me and I will not go to Alaska again without booking a balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums