1st cruise and 1st Athens with young kids, book excursion by ship or private?

LoveAtomy

1st time for a cruise and Athens and my husband would like a guided tour when we get to Athens. NCL provided tours are expensive and we have a 8 year old who might not enjoy the guided tour (walking, talking and following the crowds). Should we book a private tour or stick with the ship provided ones? I don't want to leave my child in the ship but I would hate to pay high fee for him and him wanting to stop in the middle of the tour (due to tiredness or boredom). Private tour appeals more for flexibility? If you know any good tour guide who also provide transportation, please let me know.

Thank you.

There are many private tour guides mentioned on this thread if you do a search. I cannot recommend any as I have not used them. However another option is to just do it yourself. In that scenario you can stop anytime you like with breaks for food, etc. The tourist part of Athens is actually quite small and easily done OYO. You could also do an OYO by starting with the HOHO bus. It runs from the port into town and is a simple means of getting around. For sure you would want to see the Acropolis and then wander into the Agora. From there you are into the Plaka, dozens of places to eat and shop. Let him search for a Greek souvenir. If enough time the new Acropolis museum would then be fun and I suspect an 8 yo would appreciate some if not all of it. Look at Tom's port guides and download R Steves audio guide.

We used PK Travel and they were so easy to deal with and very professional and prompt. You can go on a smaller excursion as part of a share group or you can arrange a private excursion for just the three of you, or you can use them simply as a fixed rate taxi service to drive you to all the highlights

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you think that your kid is easily bored, i would not recommend a ships tour. They are quite merciless with sticking to the schedule. A carefully chosen private tour could be good. I'd limit the tour to one set of ruins and max one museum. Definitely do the Plaka district. Very cool little shops, a great flea market and lovely eateries.

Did you consider the hop on hop off bus? It gets you to all the "must see" places for a reasonable price, runs very frequently and most kids would enjoy sitting on the open top deck.

If you get tired, you can just drive around on the bus and let the scenery pass by

We used Private Greece Tours on 2 visits to Athens. You get a driver for the day that will take you to all the main sites. As it is a private tour you can adjust things to suit you. On our second tour with them we did not want to hit the museums so they drove us along the coast and to some beaches. The driver is not a guide and can not enter the sites with you, but they do provide a lot of information about what you will see. At the Acropolis you can pick up a guide there or have them arrange one to meet you.

Our third trip to Athens we did it on our own. Took a taxi from the port. The main sites are all close together and walkable.

The nice thing about having a driver is it cuts down on the walking, you will see more things, they know where to go so you don't have to plan much. It will also be much better than the ship tours. No large group on a bus and typically cheaper.

Whichever you decide to do, leave early for the Acropolis to beat the tour buses, crowds and heat. We like to arrive at the ticket counter when it opens.

We have decided on the Hop on Hop off Bus for our 2 days in Athens. The cost and the flexible this gives us is unbeatable. We may still hire a guide at some of the sites this we have not decided. Here is a link, at the top click Attractions to get an idea of what you will see. http://www.citysightseeing.gr/

Another vote for PK Travel. Definitely take a private tour or DIY. Our younger son was 9 when we toured Athens for the first time. We got a taxi to the Acropolis and a taxi back, quite reasonably priced for the 4 of us. We came back a few years later and took tour with PK. I do agree that the New Acropolis museum is really good and likely to appeal to your son although only you can best judge that -- there are some great youtube videos that will you an idea. Hope you enjoy both your firsts!

I also recommend PK Travel. I had seen quite a few positive reviews and sent an email - they were very quick to reply, the rates were far better than the cruise ship excursions. We took a half day tour of Athens after 2 weeks on the Majestic Princess May 2017. Very nice Mercedes Van, they were on time, our guide Tolis was very knowledgeable. The private tour allowed for more questions that were of interest to us. They also provided airport transfer for us the next day at half the cost of Blacklane. Highly recommend PK Travel. I much prefer this personal / flexible tour approach that PK offers. 5 Star. :):cool:

Private. You will find the price is usually not much more than the ship's price, and sometimes lower. Just be aware that a lot of these companies are providing a driver only. If you want a guide, you'll have to request and pay for that, and IMO, it's well worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

We went Private too - used PGT (Private Greece Tours) and were very happy - we could spend more time at the things that appealed to the children and skip the things that didn't. Cost a bit less than the ships tour would have cost for 4 of us.

Bit more detail in my cruise review here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2506253

Hope that helps

Lou

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend just DIY as my kids love taking the public tranport. We don't use it in So. Cal often so it is an adventure in itself. You can hire a guide at the site if you want some information, but audio guides have worked well for us. The private trips are out of my budget, but if you can afford them they will be the most flexible.

My plans changed. I decided there is so much to see in Athens and I may never go again that I better find the best tour possible with a Private Guide. I found a company, Athens Limo they have an 8-hour Full Day Athens tour you are provided both a driver and a guide that goes into the sites with you. The tour is just for the four of us cost is $460.00e expensive but cheaper than the full day Cruise line tour. AND it is just the four of us! All the reviews are excellent. https://www.athens-limo.com/shore-excursions-athens/

• 10 months later...
My plans changed. I decided there is so much to see in Athens and I may never go again that I better find the best tour possible with a Private Guide. I found a company, Athens Limo they have an 8-hour Full Day Athens tour you are provided both a driver and a guide that goes into the sites with you. The tour is just for the four of us cost is $460.00e expensive but cheaper than the full day Cruise line tour. AND it is just the four of us! All the reviews are excellent. https://www.athens-limo.com/shore-excursions-athens/

How did you like your tour with Athens Limo ? We will be in Athens in July and we still have not confirmed our plans, not sure if we are to hire a private tour or do it on our own

thank you

How did you like your tour with Athens Limo ? We will be in Athens in July and we still have not confirmed our plans, not sure if we are to hire a private tour or do it on our own

thank you

We loved it so glad we hired them. There is no way you could see Athens or learn as much on your own, The driver would drive us right at the entrance of each site in a brand new Mercedes SUV we would get out with the tour guide walk in then he would appear like magic to pick us up when we exited. Our guide has her Master degree in archaeology spoke perfect English and made the day both educational and fun. I have been on 63 cruises and this tour was the best ever! The second day in Athens we used the hop on hop off bus which I would also highly recommend for shopping and going back out for lunch. We had two great lunches the first day we stopped with our guide lunch for the 3 of us cost $8 euros the second day we stopped at the same place the two of us spent $12 euros which included a bottle of wine. We found two others on roll call to do the tour with us.

Edited by southernbreezes

We loved it so glad we hired them. There is no way you could see Athens or learn as much on your own, The driver would drive us right at the entrance of each site in a brand new Mercedes SUV we would get out with the tour guide walk in then he would appear like magic to pick us up when we exited. Our guide has her Master degree in archaeology spoke perfect English and made the day both educational and fun. I have been on 63 cruises and this tour was the best ever! The second day in Athens we used the hop on hop off bus which I would also highly recommend for shopping and going back out for lunch. We had two great lunches the first day we stopped with our guide lunch for the 3 of us cost $8 euros the second day we stopped at the same place the two of us spent $12 euros which included a bottle of wine. We found two others on roll call to do the tour with us.

Thank you so much for your response. Great info - sounds like you had the perfect experience in Athens. Now I'm even more excited to go. I did end up booking a private tour with PK Travel - we will be there in July. Can't wait:D