Passports on excursions

My first cruise and I have heard a yes and a no to this question. we are taking a western Caribbean cruise next month. Question ...do we need to bring our passports on excursions?? thanks for your help.

'

No. None of the Western Caribbean destinations require seeing your passport. We always leave ours in the safe in out cabin.

Just bring a govt photo id and your shipcard.

My first cruise and I have heard a yes and a no to this question. we are taking a western Caribbean cruise next month. Question ...do we need to bring our passports on excursions?? thanks for your help.

'

The other responses are correct - no passport is needed off the ship at any Caribbean location on a US based closed loop cruise. (One that originates and ends at the same US port). The "yes" response perhaps relates to having a passport as ID at original embarkation. Some cruise lines require this now and others do not.

The typical boarding requirements for this type of cruise are a passport -or- a valid picture ID and a birth certificate. Check with your cruise line to confirm their requirements. But once on board no passport is needed to disembark or go on excursions at those ports of call. The only potential concern regarding a passport would be if you need to leave unexpected from a port of call back to the US, a passport may be required to re-enter the US. But there are US services available to assist in that type of emergency and if a passport is on board the crew will bring it to you on shore.

Key point for me, as noted by previous posters....

For US citizens, a passport is not even needed to take a closed loop cruise in countries included in the WHTI.

This means that thousands of passengers take excursions every week without a passport. They may not even own a passport.

For US citizens, a passport is not even needed to take a closed loop cruise in countries included in the WHTI.

This means that thousands of passengers take excursions every week without a passport. They may not even own a passport.

That is a good point as Canadians, for instance, do need a passport to board a US based closed loop cruise. But again, once on board the passport is not needed again.

While technically you do not need it. I prefer to take mine as well as my drivers license for instances of emergencies. If I need to get a flight out of the port country you would need a passport. So I suppose it's up to you as you won't technically need it on the excursion just in an emergency.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While technically you do not need it. I prefer to take mine as well as my drivers license for instances of emergencies. If I need to get a flight out of the port country you would need a passport. So I suppose it's up to you as you won't technically need it on the excursion just in an emergency.

Agree. We always travel with ours. I also travel on business domestically and take it then as well. Easier form of ID for me at security and serves as a back up to assure I get on my return flight should I loose my wallet or drivers license. Just my personal preference.

Hi "gorham cruiser"! Welcome to Cruise Critic! :D

Leave your Passport in your cabin safe.

Take your cruise card, a government issued photo ID (drivers license or copy of your passport), and the contact info for your ship's port agent (it's listed on the daily news letter on port days).

Have a WONDERFUL cruise! :D

That may be true as far as certain government authorities are concerned. However, some cruise lines (pretty much all the premium/luxury lines) require all passengers on all itineraries to present a passport at embarkation. And, in all but a few instances (depending on itinerary), those lines also require that you surrender that passport to the Purser at check-in (for all of the obvious reasons).

Once we get into our cabin I put our passports in the safe and leave them there for the duration of the cruise.

If you absolutely feel you should bring a passport with you, make a copy of them before you leave and bring that with you.

If this is your first cruise, consider booking your excursions with the cruise line. The major benefit being that if the tour returns late to the port, the ship will wait for you.

We have experienced this first hand.

Happy cruising.

Jonathan

Once we get into our cabin I put our passports in the safe and leave them there for the duration of the cruise.

If you absolutely feel you should bring a passport with you, make a copy of them before you leave and bring that with you.

If this is your first cruise, consider booking your excursions with the cruise line. The major benefit being that if the tour returns late to the port, the ship will wait for you.

Happy cruising.

Jonathan

Most people that do take their passports with them off the ship do so in case something happens that would cause them to need to fly home and having the passport with them would allow them to do that. A copy will not allow them to do that, so taking a copy does not eliminate the concern those folks have. I leave mine on the ship, because I figure if something does happen that would cause us to have to fly home there would very likely be time to notify the ship in order for our passports to be turned over to the port agent, which the ship will do in any event if they had to leave without us. At the end of the day each traveler needs to make the decision that works best for them.

Happy cruising.

Jonathan

I wish folks would stop saying "the ship will wait for you." Read the fine print. Basically, all you are guaranteed is that you will incur no expenses in getting back to the ship, which may be long gone (for all sorts of reasons).

Now, if it's a busload (or two) on a ship excursion, certainly every attempt will be made to wait. But, as the old saying goes: "time and tide wait for no man."

BTW, most well respected private tour providers will also cover the cost of getting you back onboard (often your private tour company may be the same one the ship is using - e.g., Spain Day Tours).

Don't take your passport off the ship. If you do, you're opening yourself to the possibility of losing it /being pickpocketed ... then you're really screwed when you get back to the US and cannot pass through Customs.

Don't take your passport off the ship. If you do, you're opening yourself to the possibility of losing it /being pickpocketed ... then you're really screwed when you get back to the US and cannot pass through Customs.

It actually might be worse than that- if you report the loss/theft to the ship they are very likely to put you ashore unless you have some other document that will get you through Customs. If you are a US citizen Customs has no legal authority to deny you entry into the US, even if your documents were lost or stolen. They will send you to secondary inspection and it might take a lot more time to process you.

• 1 month later...
Does this mean that you are required to take your passport with you while in Cuba?

It means that if Cuba is part of your itinerary you need a passport since Cuba is not part of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. Cuba may very well also require visitors to carry their documentation with them at all times.

It means that if Cuba is part of your itinerary you need a passport since Cuba is not part of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. Cuba may very well also require visitors to carry their documentation with them at all times.

Thank you. Cuba is part of my itinerary, and this is the first time I am cruising with a passport. I know there is much debate on whether to carry them with you while in port. Do you know where I can find if Cuba does require them at all times?

Thank you. Cuba is part of my itinerary, and this is the first time I am cruising with a passport. I know there is much debate on whether to carry them with you while in port. Do you know where I can find if Cuba does require them at all times?

Most likely that information will be in the daily newsletter left in your cabin or an announcement is made prior to disembarkation. If you are taking a private tour you can inquire of your tour company what they recommend.

Most likely that information will be in the daily newsletter left in your cabin or an announcement is made prior to disembarkation. If you are taking a private tour you can inquire of your tour company what they recommend.

Thank you :cool: