private guide Amsterdam

We will be in Amsterdam for 3 days in July. We would like to do a 1/2day walking tour with a guide and also possibly take a 1/2 day to go outside the city with a car/driver. Can anyone recommend some good people to me.

We spent 2 days there in 2015 and found it very easy to get around by ourselves. Buses are easy, did a water taxi, and walked. Amsterdam in really fairly small. All we did was checked the various Amsterdam websites and found the most interesting things and decided from there. Some museums you can get your tickets in advance, and skip lines. And English is spoken almost by everyone.

Have fun.

Easy to walk on your own, Amsterdam is small and compact. just be very careful and aware of the bicycles. They stop for no one, you must always watch out for them!

We enjoyed visiting the adorable towns of Volendam and Edam if you are looking for places to see beyond Amsterdam.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Amsterdam is easy to do yourself. But I also found this site offering free city walks. I never used them myself, but maybe this is what you are looking for: http://www.neweuropetours.eu/Amsterdam/en/home?date=13/03/2017&tour=566#

In case you want a private driver (not for the city but for longer distances) http://dagtoertaxi.nl/services.html

Amsterdam is small and compact, very easy to DIY. Suggest you get a 2 day tram pass, well worth it, you'll also find it's very easy to walk around. Pre-book timed entries to Anne Frank House and the Rijks and Van Gogh museums if you're interested. I second Ine's suggestion of the free walking tour, it starts from Dam Square and gives you an overview of the city and its history. An evening canal cruise is a great way to see the city from the water, you'll also see the building illuminated towards the end of the trip.

You might consider going to Zaanse Schaans to see windmills. Yes, it's touristy, but it's a short train ride from Centraal station and the place is very pretty. If you do go plan to either leave around 9ish or after 2-2.30, this way you'll avoid the tourist coaches which get there around 12.30. I think we spent about 1.5 hours there, which was more than enough, we left just as the first buses arrived. The link below tells you how to get there from Amsterdam.

https://www.dezaanseschans.nl/en/plan-your-visit/accessibility/

We will be in Amsterdam for 3 days in July. We would like to do a 1/2day walking tour with a guide and also possibly take a 1/2 day to go outside the city with a car/driver. Can anyone recommend some good people to me.

Back in 2015, I arranged a group of six to participate in an Amsterdam city tour by Edwin Groenweg, of The Dutch Advisor Avisor. Edwin picked us up and provided terrific guide services. With advance notice, he reserved timed tickets for the Anne Frank house. He even arranged for an art historian to take us through the van Gogh museum. We enjoyed his tour so much that we arranged Edwin to provide an upcoming tour of The Hague (one day) and a tour of Keukenhof, flower auction and a flower grower on day two.

Text and photos are posted in the below blog.

Bob

• 2 months later...

The website does not provide prices. Could you tell me a price per person?

Back in 2015, I arranged a group of six to participate in an Amsterdam city tour by Edwin Groenweg, of The Dutch Advisor Avisor. Edwin picked us up and provided terrific guide services. With advance notice, he reserved timed tickets for the Anne Frank house. He even arranged for an art historian to take us through the van Gogh museum. We enjoyed his tour so much that we arranged Edwin to provide an upcoming tour of The Hague (one day) and a tour of Keukenhof, flower auction and a flower grower on day two.

Text and photos are posted in the below blog.

Bob

Check out "That Dam Guide". Mark does a 1/2 day waterlands tour for about 6 people that takes you to villages north of the city, including s working windmill. One of the best tours ever! I think they also do some city tours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
The website does not provide prices. Could you tell me a price per person?

Sorry for the late reply - we were traveling in Switzerland. For a one day Amsterdam tour we paid $150USD per person (2015). This included all museum entry fees, art historian guide, add-on for larger vehicle rental and any taxes. We only paid for our lunch.

The fee is largely determined by the itinerary, related costs and party size. The best approach is to initiate a discussion on what you want to see and do, along with cost estimates.

We engaged the Dutch Travel Advisor in May 2017 for an all day tour of Delft/Hague and an all day tour focusing on flowers. Both tours were excellent.

we just got back and used Rory's Windmill tours for an exceptional day (I reviewed him in another post for Windmill Tours)...we were a group of 7 and there was another group of 8 with his partner.

Excellent tour to Windmills and surrounding areas...

You can find him by googling the name:cool: