Smith's for Airports

After hearing good reports about Smiths, I contacted them for a quote. We will be coming in at 2245 on a Thursday and need transportation from LHR to Hampton Waterloo. The quote I received, I felt was pricey, so I contacted them again and said maybe I didn't fill out the form correctly. No, the below is the price for 3 adults. Am I wrong thinking this is more than what it should be? Is it because it is a late night pick-up?

Hi, the cost would be £80 plus £7 parking fee and £11.50 congestion charge

Smiths are not based in London but in Portsmouth (near Southampton). You should check for a London based private service to transfer to London hotels from LHR.

Smiths are not based in London but in Portsmouth (near Southampton). You should check for a London based private service to transfer to London hotels from LHR.

Yes, as Dave says.

It has always surprised me that Smiths quote (more accurately, over-quote) for jobs nowhere near their base, because it spoils their excellent reputation for the very competitively-priced service they provide to/from the Southampton area.

The price for Heathrow to Waterloo should be around £45.

I don't know if an unsocial hour affects that - but the congestion charge allows a vehicle in and out of the city as often as they like during the day, and in any case there's no congestion charge in the evenings

Check out the Heathrow operators by googling "TripAdvisor Heathrow transfers".

Don't expect totally positive reviews as you might for Smiths, which is a comparatively-small hands-on operation with long-standing drivers and clients. Operators based at Heathrow are busy price-conscious outfits in a city jungle and a proportion of dissatisfied customers is sadly inevitable. But in the main the best-reviewed ones give a good service.

JB :)

After hearing good reports about Smiths, I contacted them for a quote. We will be coming in at 2245 on a Thursday and need transportation from LHR to Hampton Waterloo. The quote I received, I felt was pricey, so I contacted them again and said maybe I didn't fill out the form correctly. No, the below is the price for 3 adults. Am I wrong thinking this is more than what it should be? Is it because it is a late night pick-up?

Hi, the cost would be £80 plus £7 parking fee and £11.50 congestion charge

I have used http://www.justairports.com from LHR to/ from London hotel about 5x and plan again in 2018. Use your hotel's postal code to get a quote. Last time, Premier Inn Waterloo to LHR £45.

Private hire charges are invariably per vehicle. A quote from a private hire company like Smiths for Airports will take into account extra passengers and luggage, so two plus four cases may well be cheaper than four plus twelve cases. It will also include any tax like VAT.

Taxis that you can flag down in the street will usually charge extra for extra passengers and luggage .

The transport offered by cruise companies is always priced per passenger.

Phabeic, I looked up just airports.

Do you know if the price is for the car or per person.

Thanks

Pat.

Their quote is per car, nothing extra. They charge extra for a credit card (a few British places charge extra for using a credit card). I always use cash and round it up for a tip. You choose the type of car you want. After you have put in your information and press "book now", it shows you the different cars and how much luggage each car holds.

Their quote is per car, nothing extra. They charge extra for a credit card (a few British places charge extra for using a credit card). I always use cash and round it up for a tip. You choose the type of car you want. After you have put in your information and press "book now", it shows you the different cars and how much luggage each car holds.

It has been announced today that charging extra for credit card transactions will be outlawed from January next year. There will be no surcharges on Visa, Mastercard, American Express or Paypal

This may result in some operators refusing CCs altogether, so it will be wise to check in advance.

This may result in some operators refusing CCs altogether, so it will be wise to check in advance.

Or back to the good old days of ............

"Can I pay by credit card?"

"Certainly, sir"

"So what discount will you give me for cash?" :)

Or back to the good old days of ............

"Can I pay by credit card?"

"Certainly, sir"

"So what discount will you give me for cash?" :)

"Cash?"

"Yes - so you don't have to pay for the transaction."

"Sorry sir - we only take cards these days."

:cool:

"Cash?"

"Yes - so you don't have to pay for the transaction."

"Sorry sir - we only take cards these days."

:cool:

Shortsighted businesses don't recognize the cost of handling cash or the advantage of accepting credit.

Just wanted to add we used them for our trip from LHR to Southampton and they were great! Our driver was there right when we came out, had a nice van, very friendly and informative. In fact, he even took us to our hotel in Southampton and then, based on his recommendation, we went to Portsmouth with him. His day was done (we had a very early morning arrival and he worked overnight), so he was going home to Portsmouth. He took us there for no extra charge, but we tipped nicely. Then we spent the day in Portsmouth at the ships (Mary Rose, HMS Victory, etc...) and he showed us right where the train was to get back to Southampton. I would absolutely recommend them if you're going to those cities.

Just got a quote from Smith SOTON to LHR next year. 75 quid, plus 3 quid parking fee. That is for 2 pax, plus 2 big cases and 2 carry ons. Not bad I thought. Not being completely up with tipping etiquette in UK, would a tenner tip be appropriate, providing it is a decent ride with a decent driver? :cool:

Just got a quote from Smith SOTON to LHR next year. 75 quid, plus 3 quid parking fee. That is for 2 pax, plus 2 big cases and 2 carry ons. Not bad I thought. Not being completely up with tipping etiquette in UK, would a tenner tip be appropriate, providing it is a decent ride with a decent driver? :cool:
£5-10 would be OK, depending on the service they provide.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Yeah, we tipped £20 on our trip, but that's because he didn't actually charge us for the drive to Portsmouth. We were supposed to go to Southampton, but since he was going home to Portsmouth, he offered to take us there after stopping at our hotel. It was another hour drive, with traffic.