Can help with Q for Oslo if someone needs it;)

Thank you for this information!

We are looking to make Oslo our "home base" for several days, heading to Bergen & perhaps other places, but returning to Oslo. What would your suggestion be for a nice hotel that is convenient to the train station?

Also, will hotels hold luggage for a few days, or is there a locker at the train station?

We are thinking of using the Oslo Pass app and bypassing the purchase of the pass once we get there. Hopefully, any bugs found for the Apple app have been worked through in the past few years. Our question is on using the smartphone app ~ do the Metro, trams, buses and ferries have easy to locate control boards to read the bar code on our phones? Curious if these system are in place for local use as well, thus making it easier for the passes to be used.

I haven't seen the OsloPass app in practice, but from what it says on the website, it sounds like it just uses the same system that the regular transit passes use:

Offline use

You have to be connected to the internet when you buy the pass and when you activate it, but you don't need to be online to use it. NOTE: Your phone must be online once every morning before using the pass to ensure that the control code for the transport ticket is updated.

It's extremely popular for people to buy their regular transit passes using the Ruter app. The ticket controllers either scan the QR code on people's phones, or they just check the "day's picture" which has a random image that changes each day.

These days I think the transit people are more annoyed by those of us who hold on to our transit cards, since it takes a longer to scan the card than for them to just glance at the ticket app!

I haven't seen the OsloPass app in practice, but from what it says on the website, it sounds like it just uses the same system that the regular transit passes use:

It's extremely popular for people to buy their regular transit passes using the Ruter app. The ticket controllers either scan the QR code on people's phones, or they just check the "day's picture" which has a random image that changes each day.

These days I think the transit people are more annoyed by those of us who hold on to our transit cards, since it takes a longer to scan the card than for them to just glance at the ticket app!

Thank you so much for the reply. We are going to give this a go and see how smoothly it will work for us.

Thank you for this information!

We are looking to make Oslo our "home base" for several days, heading to Bergen & perhaps other places, but returning to Oslo. What would your suggestion be for a nice hotel that is convenient to the train station?

Also, will hotels hold luggage for a few days, or is there a locker at the train station?

This depends on your price point. The big hotels will almost certainly be able to hold onto your luggage for a few days, and even the smaller hotel chains typically have a luggage room. If you're using one of the self-service budget hotels, then it's probably not an option.

Both Oslo S and Nationaltheatret stations have lockers, though the number (and, I believe, the variety of sizes) is larger at Oslo S. There are also lockers across the street from Oslo S in the bus terminal.

There are a lot of hotels that are very close to Oslo S. Within just a few blocks are...

Standard: Radisson Blu Plaza, Comfort Hotel Grand Central, Clarion Folketeateret, Thon Hotel Opera, Comfort Hotel Børsparken

Budget: Scandic Byporten, Scandic Oslo City, Comfort Xpress Central Station, Citybox

The Radisson Plaza is a pretty standard high-rise business hotel with big rooms (for Scandinavia). It's right across the street (via pedestrian bridge) from the station. The Comfort Hotel Grand Central is in the newly-renovated old Østbanehallen station hall and is therefore connected to the terminal itself. It's going for a boutique hotel vibe, and I've heard good things from a friend who stayed there. The Scandic Byporten is also attached to the station, via the Byporten shopping center. It's a basic Scandinavian hotel with tiny rooms, but they have a nice breakfast at the Egon restaurant in the same building.

Those are the ones that I have personal experience with. Take a look at TripAdvisor for the others.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

We are in Oslo from early until 11:00pm. I was wondering if any cruisers had used the OSLO 24 pass and had an itinerary that worked well for them. Happy to visit most places.

Thanks

Lu

I saved a lot of money (compared to hotels) and met some very nice Norwegian people using AirBnB for both my stays in Oslo, and my stay in Bergen. In Oslo, I was 4 blocks from the train station, and had access to laundry facilities as well as a small kitchen.

We are in Oslo from early until 11:00pm. I was wondering if any cruisers had used the OSLO 24 pass and had an itinerary that worked well for them. Happy to visit most places.

My recommendation would be to start with Vigelands Park in the morning, since it's open 24 hours, and the sun will be behind you as you enter (if it's early enough in the morning or late enough in the season), which can be good for photos.

Then head to the Bygdøy museums by taking the bus 20 (direction Skøyen) from Vigelands to Olav Kyrres plass and switching to the bus 30 (towards Bygdøy). Get down at the Folkmuseet stop and visit the open-air Norwegian Folk Museum. Spend a few hours exploring the grounds and checking out some of the exhibits inside the historic buildings. Be sure to visit the iconic wooden stave church on the grounds.

Then head around the corner (either catch a 30 bus if it's there or walk 5 minutes) to the Viking Ships. This is a fairly small museum but worth a visit, given the fame of the Gokstad burial ship.

Hop back on the bus 30 (or walk 15-20 minutes) down to Bygdøynes, home to the Kon-Tiki and Fram Museums. The Fram is well worth a visit for a look at polar exploration and the chance to explore inside the ship that carried Roald Amundsen part of the way to the South Pole. If you have an Oslo Pass and are not suffering from museum fatigue by this point (or if you're an avid Thor Heyerdahl fan), you can also pop into the Kon-Tiki Museum to learn more about his voyages.

The Oslo Pass covers the Bygdøy ferry, so you can catch it at the pier next to the museums and ride straight back to the city center.

If there's still time before closing, I would then recommend either the Nobel Peace Center (across the plaza from the ferry pier, closes at 6pm) for an interestingly high-tech presentation of the prize and its laureates, of the National Gallery (closes between 5 and 7pm depending on the day) with its collection of Norwegian painters, including a room of Edvard Munch and his famous The Scream. If it's close to 6pm, you can make a quick stop into the Rådhus (city hall) to see where the Nobel Peace Prize is awarded and to enjoy the murals.

In the early evening, explore the grounds of Akershus Fortress for the history and the views over the harbor (and straight into the shoreside balcony cabins of your ship), and for modern architecture, take a stroll up onto the roof of the Oslo Opera house, which was designed to be an open public space for people to enjoy the Oslofjord views.

Head back west down the central street of Karl Johans gate, passing the Oslo Cathedral, Stortinget (parliament), Oslo University, and National Theater. Then head on to the Royal Palace, or turn left back down towards the harbor for an expensive waterfront drink (or a free stroll) around Aker Brygge and Tjuvholmen.

Hi, We are docking at Askerhus and I am interested in buying Oslo passes. I'm confused by some of the posts... has anyone used the phone app and does it work well? Is it only for seniors (we aren't quite there yet)? Is there a will call that can save you time if you buy ahead? I thought there was a place at Askerhus where you can buy them or do you have to do that at the TI near city hall? Thanks for the information!

this depends on your price point. The big hotels will almost certainly be able to hold onto your luggage for a few days, and even the smaller hotel chains typically have a luggage room. If you're using one of the self-service budget hotels, then it's probably not an option.

Both oslo s and nationaltheatret stations have lockers, though the number (and, i believe, the variety of sizes) is larger at oslo s. There are also lockers across the street from oslo s in the bus terminal.

There are a lot of hotels that are very close to oslo s. Within just a few blocks are...

Standard: Radisson blu plaza, comfort hotel grand central, clarion folketeateret, thon hotel opera, comfort hotel børsparken

budget: Scandic byporten, scandic oslo city, comfort xpress central station, citybox

the radisson plaza is a pretty standard high-rise business hotel with big rooms (for scandinavia). It's right across the street (via pedestrian bridge) from the station. The comfort hotel grand central is in the newly-renovated old østbanehallen station hall and is therefore connected to the terminal itself. It's going for a boutique hotel vibe, and i've heard good things from a friend who stayed there. The scandic byporten is also attached to the station, via the byporten shopping center. It's a basic scandinavian hotel with tiny rooms, but they have a nice breakfast at the egon restaurant in the same building.

Those are the ones that i have personal experience with. Take a look at tripadvisor for the others.

thank you so much for your reply!

Hi all,

Thanks

Lu

Kaisatsu has given you some good suggestions in the post above. We bought Oslo passes and made good use of them in May of this year, visiting many of the places suggested in Kaisatsu's itinerary. Had a great day in Oslo. Did not buy the passes online or use the app; we bought the hard copy version on arrival at the Thon Panorama hotel which is about a 10 minute walk from where the ship docks. We docked early so did not want to wait for the tourist information centre to open.

If you are interested, I am still working on my photo review of that Baltic cruise on the Celebrity Silhouette, but the Oslo section is done. It has photos of the places we visited using the pass. It's posted over on the Celebrity board; Oslo posts start on page 3.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2513199&page=3

Norwaylady, thanks for starting this thread and answering questions. It was very helpful to me when I was planning my trip.

Hello -

I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with. We will be arriving in Oslo on 7/27/17. We will be there for 3 days before leaving for Bergen.

We arrive around 10:30pm. What is the easiest way to get to our hotel, Comfort Hotel Karl Johan?

We purchased our Oslo Pass online and I just downloaded the app on my cellphone. Does each person need to have the app on their own phone? Also, is it possible to purchase a burner phone? My in-laws phone won't work in Norway so they were hoping to get a burner phone.

Does anyone have any suggestions for restaurants? There will be 4 of us the first 2 nights and 5 of us the last night.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hello Kiwigirl!

Your hotell is in walking distance from OSLO S, the central station. You are arriving in the evening, but thats now problem for public transport. You have not specified if it is by aircraft at OSL-airport. But assuming it is.

It is work on the local trains in OSLO S during this summer, until 7.august 2017. So if you take the local train a part of your journey can be by bus/possible delayed. The local train is less expensive then the airport express train. Normal price for adult is 93NOK from OSL to OSLO S.

The airport express train runs as normal. They have departures every 20min during late evening. Price adult 180NOK.

When you leave the station area, walk to Karl Johans street and walk 300m straight up. Then you are at your hotell.

If you are going to take a taxi direct from the airport, it will be less expensive if it is pre booked. Then it is a set price. If you just grab one at the airport, it will be by meter. Pleas note that you arrive late in the evening and that is is more expensive then during daytime.

https://www.oslotaxi.no/prices

It is free wifi at the airport and your hotel. Pluss a lot of cafes, stores etc.

Do you take the train to Bergen? It is free wifi onboard NSB to Bergen. Note that it is not always the fastest and best, but it works most of the journey.

You can purchase a burner phone and have a pre-paid sim card. You just want a phone that you can text and call in/out?

You will find them in Elkjøp, POWER, Clas Olson etc.

In Clas Olson they have NOKIA 105, 349NOK+sim card or Alcatel 10.16, 249NOK+sim card

Oslo, Torggata

http://www.clasohlson.com/no/b/Multimedia/Mobiltelefoni

Eating out in Oslo is very pending on price point and what you want. All the big chains have a place or to in Oslo. So personally i recommend that you keep out from them. You can have much better food at the same prices in other venues.

If you would like to have a dinner, lunsj or coffee whit a view over the city center, https://www.ekebergrestauranten.com/english

It is located in the area of the Ekeberg Sculpture park. The park it self is free.

http://www.frognerseteren.no/index_e.aspx

Holmenkollen

Other then that is is very pending on your price range.

Take a look at TripAdviser for more information and price-range that fit your profile.

Personally my favourites for eating out in Oslo is:

Statholdergaarden

https://statholdergaarden.no/en/home Closed for summer holiday until 8.8.2017

Mister India

http://www.mister-india.no/en/index.html Closed for summer holiday July

Freddy Fuego Burrito Bar

http://www.freddyfuego.no

Delicatessen

http://delicatessen.no/en/

Fiskeriet

http://fiskeriet.com/spisestedet/

Lofoten Fiskeresturant

https://www.lofoten-fiskerestaurant.no/english

Alex sushi

http://www.alexsushi.no

Hope this helps you on the way of planning what to eat.

If you want traditional norwegian cuisine at good prices, http://www.kaffistova.com/home?lang=en

Enjoy your stay in Oslo:D

Hello -

I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with. We will be arriving in Oslo on 7/27/17. We will be there for 3 days before leaving for Bergen.

We arrive around 10:30pm. What is the easiest way to get to our hotel, Comfort Hotel Karl Johan?

We purchased our Oslo Pass online and I just downloaded the app on my cellphone. Does each person need to have the app on their own phone? Also, is it possible to purchase a burner phone? My in-laws phone won't work in Norway so they were hoping to get a burner phone.

Does anyone have any suggestions for restaurants? There will be 4 of us the first 2 nights and 5 of us the last night.

Thanks for any suggestions.

A bit more information....

Even with 4 adults, the train is probably going to be the fastest and most affordable way in from the airport. The track maintenance mentioned above means that one of the hourly departures of the NSB train has been canceled, so the NSB train to Oslo S will depart at 22:43, 23:03, and 23:43. If the timing for one of these works out, it's the best option, since it's inexpensive and takes the same amount of time as the Flytoget. If the timing doesn't work out, four tickets for the Flytoget would work out to 720 NOK. Only one of the taxi companies offers a nighttime rate that's less than that (0-Taxi, 698 NOK), and it would need to be booked in advance. I believe the other taxi companies charge 750 or more (and a metered rate to the city is easily over 1000 NOK at daytime rates).

Getting to your hotel from the train station is very easy (even at night), since the lower end of Karl Johans gate is pedestrianized. However, the hotel itself is not super obvious, since there are retail store fronts along the street. Walking up Karl Johans gate, you'll pass a brick colonade on the right that surrounds the Oslo cathedral. The hotel is just past that on the left side of the street. There are usually some banners for the hotel hanging on the building, and there's a small entrance that leads to their patio cafe, right before the new Nike store (scheduled to open tomorrow, 21 July). I'm not 100% certain, but I believe there's a more direct hotel entrance around the corner on Kirkegata.

Re: your question about the Oslo Pass app, you can have multiple passes on the same device, but it means that you have to be with the device to use it. As stated on the website:

"Please note that if you purchase several tickets on the same device, you will need to travel and access museums and attractions together. The tickets need to be scanned at the entrance of each museum and where there is a control on board on public transport."

For restaurants, it depends on what kind of place you're looking for. A lot of my favorites will be closed for summer holidays while you're there.

If you're looking for something "Norwegian," here are a few that (I think) will be open:

Fiskeriet - (as mentioned above) A fish market and small restaurant on Youngstorget that sells affordable (by Norwegian standards) fish and seafood dishes. I recommend the bacalao, traditional fish soup, and fish & chips.

Elias Mat & Sant - A small cafe around the corner from the National Gallery that serves mid-range dishes based on traditional Norwegian ingredients. It looks like their summer closure will be ending just as you arrive.

Lorry - A historic pub to the north of Slottsparken (the palace park) serving a mix of pub food and classic Norwegian dishes. The food here isn't particularly amazing, but the eclectic interior is interesting, and having been around since the 1870s, the place is dripping with history from the writers, artists, and politicians who've frequented it over the years.

My recommendation would be to start with Vigelands Park in the morning, since it's open 24 hours, and the sun will be behind you as you enter (if it's early enough in the morning or late enough in the season), which can be good for photos.

Then head to the Bygdøy museums by taking the bus 20 (direction Skøyen) from Vigelands to Olav Kyrres plass and switching to the bus 30 (towards Bygdøy). Get down at the Folkmuseet stop and visit the open-air Norwegian Folk Museum. Spend a few hours exploring the grounds and checking out some of the exhibits inside the historic buildings. Be sure to visit the iconic wooden stave church on the grounds.

Then head around the corner (either catch a 30 bus if it's there or walk 5 minutes) to the Viking Ships. This is a fairly small museum but worth a visit, given the fame of the Gokstad burial ship.

Hop back on the bus 30 (or walk 15-20 minutes) down to Bygdøynes, home to the Kon-Tiki and Fram Museums. The Fram is well worth a visit for a look at polar exploration and the chance to explore inside the ship that carried Roald Amundsen part of the way to the South Pole. If you have an Oslo Pass and are not suffering from museum fatigue by this point (or if you're an avid Thor Heyerdahl fan), you can also pop into the Kon-Tiki Museum to learn more about his voyages.

The Oslo Pass covers the Bygdøy ferry, so you can catch it at the pier next to the museums and ride straight back to the city center.

If there's still time before closing, I would then recommend either the Nobel Peace Center (across the plaza from the ferry pier, closes at 6pm) for an interestingly high-tech presentation of the prize and its laureates, of the National Gallery (closes between 5 and 7pm depending on the day) with its collection of Norwegian painters, including a room of Edvard Munch and his famous The Scream. If it's close to 6pm, you can make a quick stop into the Rådhus (city hall) to see where the Nobel Peace Prize is awarded and to enjoy the murals.

In the early evening, explore the grounds of Akershus Fortress for the history and the views over the harbor (and straight into the shoreside balcony cabins of your ship), and for modern architecture, take a stroll up onto the roof of the Oslo Opera house, which was designed to be an open public space for people to enjoy the Oslofjord views.

How late does the ferry run going back to the city center? And bus #30? This would be for mid August. Thank you.

Thank you Norwaylady!

I appreciate the time that you've taken to answer my questions. I have sent an email to the Taxi company to find out the cost from the airport to our hotel. We will have been traveling all day, so it might be easier to pre-book the taxi.

My in-laws will be arriving on Friday morning so it will only be the 2 of us plus our luggage.

We will be taking the train to Bergen and already have our reservations. We will be taking the Norwegian Coastal Voyage on Hurtigruten.

We are looking forward to our trip.

denyse

Hello Kiwigirl!

Your hotell is in walking distance from OSLO S, the central station. You are arriving in the evening, but thats now problem for public transport. You have not specified if it is by aircraft at OSL-airport. But assuming it is.

It is work on the local trains in OSLO S during this summer, until 7.august 2017. So if you take the local train a part of your journey can be by bus/possible delayed. The local train is less expensive then the airport express train. Normal price for adult is 93NOK from OSL to OSLO S.

The airport express train runs as normal. They have departures every 20min during late evening. Price adult 180NOK.

When you leave the station area, walk to Karl Johans street and walk 300m straight up. Then you are at your hotell.

If you are going to take a taxi direct from the airport, it will be less expensive if it is pre booked. Then it is a set price. If you just grab one at the airport, it will be by meter. Pleas note that you arrive late in the evening and that is is more expensive then during daytime.

https://www.oslotaxi.no/prices

It is free wifi at the airport and your hotel. Pluss a lot of cafes, stores etc.

Do you take the train to Bergen? It is free wifi onboard NSB to Bergen. Note that it is not always the fastest and best, but it works most of the journey.

You can purchase a burner phone and have a pre-paid sim card. You just want a phone that you can text and call in/out?

You will find them in Elkjøp, POWER, Clas Olson etc.

In Clas Olson they have NOKIA 105, 349NOK+sim card or Alcatel 10.16, 249NOK+sim card

Oslo, Torggata

http://www.clasohlson.com/no/b/Multimedia/Mobiltelefoni

Eating out in Oslo is very pending on price point and what you want. All the big chains have a place or to in Oslo. So personally i recommend that you keep out from them. You can have much better food at the same prices in other venues.

If you would like to have a dinner, lunsj or coffee whit a view over the city center, https://www.ekebergrestauranten.com/english

It is located in the area of the Ekeberg Sculpture park. The park it self is free.

http://www.frognerseteren.no/index_e.aspx

Holmenkollen

Other then that is is very pending on your price range.

Take a look at TripAdviser for more information and price-range that fit your profile.

Personally my favourites for eating out in Oslo is:

Statholdergaarden

https://statholdergaarden.no/en/home Closed for summer holiday until 8.8.2017

Mister India

http://www.mister-india.no/en/index.html Closed for summer holiday July

Freddy Fuego Burrito Bar

http://www.freddyfuego.no

Delicatessen

http://delicatessen.no/en/

Fiskeriet

http://fiskeriet.com/spisestedet/

Lofoten Fiskeresturant

https://www.lofoten-fiskerestaurant.no/english

Alex sushi

http://www.alexsushi.no

Hope this helps you on the way of planning what to eat.

If you want traditional norwegian cuisine at good prices, http://www.kaffistova.com/home?lang=en

Enjoy your stay in Oslo:D

Thank you for the additional information Kaisatsu.

There will only be 2 of us arriving Thursday night. My in-laws will arrive mid-morning on Friday.

Thank you for the info on locating the hotel. This is very useful and I will be forwarding it to my in-laws.

So if I understand correctly....we can activate all 4 passes on my phone and my husbands, we just have to stay together? This won't be a problem as we will be sightseeing together.

I have already downloaded the Oslo Pass app along with the Visit Oslo app. I will have my husband download them also.

I will look into the restaurants that you suggest.

One more question I just thought of. If we take the train from the airport to the hotel, will this be the same location that we get the train to Bergen? We will be leaving Oslo on Monday morning.

Thank you again for your assistance.

denyse

One more question I just thought of. If we take the train from the airport to the hotel, will this be the same location that we get the train to Bergen? We will be leaving Oslo on Monday morning.

Yes, the trains to Bergen depart from the same station, Oslo S.

Thank you so much for this thread.

We will be arriving in Oslo on Easter Sunday next year. We have an 8:45am flight on Monday morning. Do we need to be concerned about the holiday train schedules to the airport? I am nervous that trains will not be running early enough.

Thank you so much for this thread.

We will be arriving in Oslo on Easter Sunday next year. We have an 8:45am flight on Monday morning. Do we need to be concerned about the holiday train schedules to the airport? I am nervous that trains will not be running early enough.

The holiday schedule is the same as the Sunday schedule. It looks like NSB trains start running around 7am on Sundays, so I would recommend paying extra to take a Flytoget airport train earlier in the morning.

Note also that the Easter holiday in Norway is quite long, so if you'll be elsewhere in the country before Oslo, a lot of things will be closed starting the Thursday before Easter.

The holiday schedule is the same as the Sunday schedule. It looks like NSB trains start running around 7am on Sundays, so I would recommend paying extra to take a Flytoget airport train earlier in the morning.

Note also that the Easter holiday in Norway is quite long, so if you'll be elsewhere in the country before Oslo, a lot of things will be closed starting the Thursday before Easter.

Thank you so much. I agree, the NSB schedule would be too tight for comfort. We will catch a Flytoget train. Unfortunately, we will just be passing through, as we do not arrive until almost 3pm on Sunday, then have the early flight the next morning. We plan to stay in the Comfort Hotel Grand Central for convenience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Norwaylady

We are thinking about travelling to Norway next year (2018) and have a few questions about weather and road conditions from late March thru to May? Our itinerary is to fly Sydney to Oslo and spend 3 nights/4 days in Oslo, catch the train to Bergen (3 nights in Bergen), then drive or catch train to the fjords, ie. Sognefjord, Geiranger, then travel to Lom, Lillehammer, Hamar back to Oslo. Stopping and sight seeing through all the lovely places along the way.

I am wondering what the road conditions will be like at this time of year - will there be snow on the road in late March, April and May? Just trying to work out the best time for driving in Norway.

Otherwise we will leave it until Aug/Sept?

After travelling around Norway we were also thinking about catching trains or driving to Sweden (Stockholm) and Denmark (Copenhagen) - are the road conditions similar? As in is it impossible to drive through these countries in April and May?

Thank you