Taipei in a Day.

Solent Richard

Princess, Royal Caribbean and now Cunard's Queen Elisabeth have future calls to Taiwan. The main port is Keelung which offers reasonably easy access to the island's capitol, Taipei.

Taipei is a fascinating city with an exceptionally good metro system...

33903787571_ddd0862c3b_z.jpg

Top sights in Taipei include Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall…

32838398514_1fd4f2ce01_z.jpg

where the ceremonial guard changes on the hour...

33297355690_74e743cd42_z.jpg

...and Taipei 101, an iconic tower...

33524981332_dc7d7baf77_z.jpg

I have recently published a full review of how to best get to Taipei from Keelung and how to travel around the city.

With over 40 photographs the review can be found here...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/05/05/one-way-to-do-taipei/

The one thing not to miss in Taipei is that wonderful Museum. It houses many ancient artifacts from Beijing.

It certainly does attract many visitors and was the 'lead' feature on all the ship's excursions.

It does no, however, lean itself to easy access by 'public' transport: hence I gave it a miss.

It certainly does attract many visitors and was the 'lead' feature on all the ship's excursions.

It does no, however, lean itself to easy access by 'public' transport: hence I gave it a miss.

I guess you have a different definition of easy. I went there last month on public transport which I found easy though; it's just a single bus directly there and back in addition to the transport services you list. (I actually walked it one way from the metro though as it's a good way to get a feel for the surrounding environment as well. We then took the bus back to the metro; only took about 10 minutes.)

Nice plan otherwise. We visited the museum upfront, trading off your sites after Taipei 101 to visit City Hall and then took metro to Nangang as well, which is quite close.

Edited by The_Big_M

I guess you have a different definition of easy. I went there last month on public transport which I found easy though; it's just a single bus directly there and back in addition to the transport services you list. (I actually walked it one way from the metro though as it's a good way to get a feel for the surrounding environment as well. We then took the bus back to the metro; only took about 10 minutes.)

Nice plan otherwise. We visited the museum upfront, trading off your sites after Taipei 101 to visit City Hall and then took metro to Nangang as well, which is quite close.

Well done Big M.

I guess that after Taipei 101 Chiang Kai Shek Memorial hall was my number one stop.

• 2 months later...

We also been in Taipei last January with Celebrity cruises. We used the train to go from keelung to Taipei, and than, continued with the and than continued with the MRT (local metro) and went to the Taipei Gondola.

We boarded the MRT brown line to Taipei Zoo, and from there we walked to the entrance of the Taipei Gondola. we bought tickets to the gondola. There are two types of Gondola cabins: Crystal Cabins and regular ones. The Crystal cabins are modified from the original gondola cabins. The bottom of the original cabin was replaced with tri-layer reinforced glass. There are two separate lines to the two types of cabins, and the line to the crystal cabin was significantly longer.

There are four stations:

962a92_0122a491e624474a801288be1de24a76~mv2.webp

We took a regular cabin to the fourth station: Maokong Station. The main attraction of this stop is the food. There are stalls that sell noodles, sausages, and even Korean food. Also, there are a couple of hot pot restaurants and several coffee shops. we just walked a little and took some pictures, and than boarded a crystal cabin to the third station Zhinan Temple Station. The place is breath taking. Not only is it a beautiful location, but you can see all of Taipei from there. We went to the temple which was decorated specially to the Chinese new year and took a lot of pictures.

962a92_0e352d1eac2740db978d72c79d54a091~mv2_d_6000_4000_s_4_2.webp

Zhinan Temple Station

962a92_5274d93625044069811bcda20f6677fc~mv2_d_3549_3732_s_4_2.webp

Details about our visit in Taipei and the cruise, in our blog

Walking Destinations

https://walkingdestination.wixsite.c...ippines-Cruise