Are we being too ambitious--day trips to Liverpool and Paris from London

I regularly use Virgin trains and booking tickets requires a little research and patience. Advance fares, the cheapest ones, a seldom available 12 weeks out - best fares are probably available around 6 - 8 weeks before travel. Regular checking is the best way to achieve your preferred fare. Availability is very much dependent on how many have already been sold as carriers only offer so many on any service.

Travelling very early, the first train leaves at 5.27, is inexpensive. Travel between 9 android 10.30 is probably the most expensive.

If you can put the Virgin trains app onto your phone this is a good way of quickly checking fares and you may even be able download an e-ticket. Not quite if it works for non UK purchases.

JB is obviously not a train fan but the service is very quick and relatively comfortable.

A little tip. An advance fare means you must travel on a specific train and you will be allocated a seat on that train. The allocation system fills up a carriage at a time so you will find the first couple of carriages will be rammed and others further downloaded the train may be empty. You do not need to sit in your allocated seat but can move to a different carriage.

I hope you make it to Liverpool

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Forums mobile app

And a special thanks for this tip--very helpful indeed.

ML

PS: I did get your meaning on train loading. I hate spell checkers :)

Hi all

Thank you so much for all the additional info. I feel like I am starting to understand the rail ticketing. Rather than reply to each of you (like last night, when it took a whole page!), let me just thank John Bull, Mabbiesmum, Cotswold Eagle, LondonTowner, Newport Dave, hatters cruiser, and ceecee59 (I hope I didn't miss anyone, apologies if I did!).

We (actually DH) have decided to skip Paris (:)) and save it for another time. Works for me, and I think this means I get another trip to Europe at some point :D:D!

We will try Liverpool and I will start monitoring ticket prices in late January. Thanks to all of you for guiding us on that.

I do have one additional question--I can't quite work out what "TOC" means. Can anyone educate me--please?

Thank you again for your generous and expert advice,

ML

TOC - Could be Train Operating Company.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

So, does this suggest we should look for promo tickets in late January for a trip May 13-20, 2018? Or are the promos less predictable than that?

Thanks

ML

I agree with Maddiesmum and I too am a fan of rail travel. To answer your question above, I travel extensively by the major rail routes across the UK and the various companies offer their promo tickets at different times, which I'm sorry to say complicates things too much. You can buy Edinburgh to London with Virgin East Coast 24 weeks in advance, Cross country from Southampton and the West Country North via Birmingham is 12 weeks and Virgin Rail has recently been selling promo tickets from 4 calendar months out.

Virgin rail is the one you would need to get from London Euston to Liverpool Lme Street. This is the company website so you can read about it yourself and see to what date tickets are available. Like maddiesmum, I track prices so I know the average price for the routs and how much I should expect to pay. I have also found recently that the cheapest tickets because available a couple of weeks after the initial release. However this is not by a significant amount - on average reducing by £20 on my longer journeys. It is also worth paying for first class IMO because these trains are very busy and if you travel first class you are served throughout the journey at your seat with a meal and drinks.

https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/train-to/liverpool

Virgin Rail has recently been selling promo tickets from 4 calendar months out.

I have also found recently that the cheapest tickets because available a couple of weeks after the initial release.

https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/train-to/liverpool

That's an interesting observation, but does contradict Virgin's stated policy, as of last year, that they release Advance tickets at 24 weeks, when they load all their tickets, and "that's when they are at their cheapest".

See this link, which for the OP also has a calendar tracking release of tickets (click the + sign at the bottom of the right hand column, 'Book early')

https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/tickets/your-ticket/ways-to-save

And yes, a TOC is a Train Operating Company, one of the franchises that actually run the trains as described earlier in the thread [emoji846][emoji577]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's an interesting observation, but does contradict Virgin's stated policy, as of last year, that they release Advance tickets at 24 weeks, when they load all their tickets, and "that's when they are at their cheapest".

See this link, which for the OP also has a calendar tracking release of tickets (click the + sign at the bottom of the right hand column, 'Book early')

And yes, a TOC is a Train Operating Company, one of the franchises that actually run the trains as described earlier in the thread

After a scroll through dates for that 7.07am train..............

Today tickets are available for travel up to 10th January, yes that's 24 weeks.

But from 10th December they're described as "anytime" tickets & cost £159, although "off-peak" are also available for that train on some of those dates at £82.90. There's no mention of "advance" for travel on any date after 9th December, and no cheap tickets.

Hence my earlier comment about booking too early.

The furthest ahead that you can book for what they call "advance" tickets is 9th December. That's about 18 weeks out. A much more attractive fare at just £17. And as previously discussed, on random dates the limited number of those tickets means that some are already sold-out.

All of which broadly ties in with the Exile's post.

Simple, ain't it :rolleyes:

JB :)

Here's something useful on the Trainline website - it shows to what date Advance tickets are selling (and yes, they agree with John that on Virgin it is currently up to 9 December) and lets you set up an email alert for when they go on sale for your journey.

https://www.thetrainline.com/ticketalert

I would then use the TOC's website to book, though, to avoid the 50p fee :)

Kings Cross vs Penn Station, London Underground vs NYC Subway and Suburban lines... come for a visit and you'll soon learn how lucky you are. Right now we're in the official label by the governor "summer of hell" lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I totally agree and take it one step further: come out west where train travel is practically non-existent! I know the Brits complain about the train system but at least they have one! That's the one thing I miss most every time I get home from Europe - the mass transit system.

And yes, a TOC is a Train Operating Company, one of the franchises that actually run the trains as described earlier in the thread [emoji846][emoji577]

I can only tell you what my experience has taught me. I book regularly with different companies (East Coast for London from Edinburgh, Cross Country for Southampton and Virgin Rail for Milton Keynes and I track tickets to get the best deals. As everyone has discovered there's a significant discrepancy between prices.

Thanks all for your advice and the links. I guess I will start checking prices in January and hope to snag a good deal (maybe 1st class???) on a trip to Liverpool.

Who knew it could be this complex to take a train to Liverpool :D

Again, many thanks for all who provided advice/tips/links/general help. Very useful.

ML

I can only tell you what my experience has taught me. I book regularly with different companies (East Coast for London from Edinburgh, Cross Country for Southampton and Virgin Rail for Milton Keynes and I track tickets to get the best deals. As everyone has discovered there's a significant discrepancy between prices.

Oh, I agree, experience of the reality is much more valuable than the stated policy! At least the OP now knows that buying cheap train tickets is as much art as science :)

Thanks all for your advice and the links. I guess I will start checking prices in January and hope to snag a good deal (maybe 1st class???) on a trip to Liverpool.

Who knew it could be this complex to take a train to Liverpool :D

Again, many thanks for all who provided advice/tips/links/general help. Very useful.

ML

Yes, and I'd also set an email alert on that Trainline link I posted. And remember you are looking for fares labelled Advance.

As I'm sure JB will agree, taking the train is simple. It's buying a ticket at a decent price that is complex [emoji6]

Have a great trip next year.

Hmmn. Could you quantify and source your claim that Eurostar "often" has issues like the one you unfortunately suffered? Yes, when there is a problem the geography can make it a bit of a nightmare, but I wouldn't discourage anyone from traveling on that basis. Just be aware.

Liverpool is about the same time on a train from London as Paris and also a potential for problems there. I wouldn't regard one as an "easy day out" and suggest someone not to do the other, to be honest. And I never understand the logic of not going somewhere for a day because there's so much to see!

OP - go for it, have fun. You can do a lot in 8 or 9 hours in Paris. Yes, do your planning, decide what you really want to do and don't forget your Euros!

of course be aware of train issues - I had to fly from Paris to London to make appt in time when trains canceled. another Eurostar trip was delayed. I've been in Paris during taxi strikes as well. if OP has just one day then be aware of potential for unexpected issues bc you don't want to miss flight home or to cruise.

as for train times yes similar but Liverpool IMO is easier than Eurostar bc no time change to deal with, no passport control and no waiting time at terminal.

Paris in one day - sure it can be done on HopOn Hop Off bus and boat to pass by highlights. Eiffel Tower with new security checks is at least 2hrs+ based on my last visit in sept. OP would need to decide what they are keen to do there and plan it out.

as for one day in city visits, I've done many around the world but between Liverpool and Paris in one day IMO I'd go with Liverpool

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, and I'd also set an email alert on that Trainline link I posted. And remember you are looking for fares labelled Advance.

As I'm sure JB will agree, taking the train is simple. It's buying a ticket at a decent price that is complex [emoji6]

Have a great trip next year.

Yes, I meant to say that as well, just forgot to post it. i am hoping this will actually make things a bit simpler.

thanks again for the link and all your help. Trip will be great no matter what we end up doing :D

ML

To answer the original questions, yes this is too ambitious , why spend over half the day travelling, little time for anything else.

Agree,,there is so much to see and do in London that we have not found it necessary to take day trips out since our first visit 44 visits ago.

The perfect day for us is Museum and stroll then lunch and a play. Great Day!

We did the Eurostar to Paris for a day trip. It was WONDERFUL!!! Don't be afraid, just keep your expectations real. The Louvre can take an entire day all by itself, but you can take the Metro to the major sites. We went to Sacré-Cœur, and Notre Dame. Following that we walked the neighborhood streets, had dinner in a cafe then on to find gelato for dessert and french chocolate to take home. It was a great day.

I did a review with photos if you would like to see, here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2095403&page=12