What to Do - Denali Princess Lodge

RU_Gremlin

Good morning!

My fiance and I are spending our honeymoon on a cruise-land tour through Princess next June. Looking at our itinerary, it seems like we have a lot of time at the Denali Princess Lodge, but there doesn't seem to be much of a plan.

Is there anything interesting around the Lodge, or walking distance nearby?

I found a company that does an evening hike (Denali Backcountry Guide). Does anyone have any experience with them? Is it worth it or should we just relax and wait for the Natural History Tour the next morning (I know, I know... Most people recommend the Turnda Wilderness Tour, but unless we find separate transportation from there to Fairbanks, we won't be able to do that).

Thanks in advance!!

Good morning!

My fiance and I are spending our honeymoon on a cruise-land tour through Princess next June. Looking at our itinerary, it seems like we have a lot of time at the Denali Princess Lodge, but there doesn't seem to be much of a plan.

I found a company that does an evening hike (Denali Backcountry Guide). Does anyone have any experience with them? Is it worth it or should we just relax and wait for the Natural History Tour the next morning (I know, I know... Most people recommend the Turnda Wilderness Tour, but unless we find separate transportation from there to Fairbanks, we won't be able to do that).

Thanks in advance!!

you state that you have a lot of free time but no time to do more than that NHT.

maybe give a little more detail re what free time you have and more help can be provided.

The Denali visitor center is great to explore, the free dog sledding demo at the park is available.

I personally would change your cruise tour- it sounds like you are on a 1 night Denali which is not optimal.

we just returned from cruise tour- Denali from 4p Sunday to 4p tues and that was barely adequate for me.- Sunday evening would have preferred to go white water rafting or ATV tour but we decided to just go to sleep after walking around the shops for 30min across from DPWL. Shuttle bus to Wonderlake- 6:15-5:45p. Hike to Horseshoe lake after bus ride- watch for beavers and Moose. returned to hotel 7:30p

Tues am- white water rafting, visitors center, sled dog demo- we had no extra minutes and kind of rushed thru the visitors center- caught the 4p train to Fairbanks

• Like 1

Would you consider cancelling the "cruise-land tour" and doing the trip on your own with a rental car? Anything you can do on a pre-packaged trip from the cruise lines you can also do on your own, often for less money. Plus you can customize your trip based on what you want to do & see. Traveling in Alaska is pretty straight forward and there's no need to let someone else determine what you do.

I can't imagine choosing a cruise tour for a honeymoon. Group point to point touring with early morning starts. Little/no time at destinations and way too much time in transit on shorter tours. You already are expressing the poor choice of the NHT which frankly IS the reason to go there. IF you want to, certainly you can change this to a superior visit. WHY compromise so severely when it's an easy fix this far in advance?

There is a lot of good hiking at Denali, with well marked trails. There are ranger programs and hikes to take advantage of. I wouldn't bother paying, frankly for a private option. All your information- http://www.nps.gov/dena https://www.nps.gov/dena/learn/news/newspaper.htm

BQ, just because a cruise tour isn't something you would like, that doesn't mean it is terrible. To each their own! I just returned from one that was great. Just saying...the negative nature of your posts in regards to cruise tours and the NHT are bullish and unhelpful.

We did a cruise tour with Royal Caribbean of Italy followed by Med. cruise 4 years ago and loved it. Two couples of honeymooners were with us and they had a wonderful time. They opted to take cruise tour, because after planning a wedding-they just wanted to let someone else do the planning for them, without the worries of transfers, suitcases, etc. I, myself sometimes just want someone to take care of this stuff for me too! Cruise tours are not the way we always travel, but sometimes we do choose that way, depending on whether I have time to plan or just don't care to. Best wishes to this couple and hope your travels and marriage are wonderful!

If you just have an evening consider Iditarod champ Jeff King's Husky Homestead excursion or plan a rafting excursion. It will be up to you to decide how to fill your time. There are lots of options but you will need to plan ahead. You will want to create memories. Check out ideas for excursions suggested by Princess for your time at Denali.

RU_Gremlin, the company you mentioned, Denali Backcountry Guides, sure gets great reviews on TripAdvisor. That evening hike sounds great. We just booked with them for a hike that we can fit into our schedule whereas the ranger-led hikes won't.

Have fun with your planning.

RU_Gremlin, the company you mentioned, Denali Backcountry Guides, sure gets great reviews on TripAdvisor. That evening hike sounds great. We just booked with them for a hike that we can fit into our schedule whereas the ranger-led hikes won't.

Have fun with your planning.

Please let me know how it is! I'd love to hear first hand from someone when they get back!!

Please let me know how it is! I'd love to hear first hand from someone when they get back!!
I will come back to this thread to let you know about it. We booked a morning hike because when we're going to be there, late August, the company doesn't offer the evening hikes. I would have loved that.

Good morning!

Thanks in advance!!

what tour are you on? the letters and numbers or how many nights and where- there are about 5 you could potentially be on

BQ, just because a cruise tour isn't something you would like, that doesn't mean it is terrible. To each their own! I just returned from one that was great. Just saying...the negative nature of your posts in regards to cruise tours and the NHT are bullish and unhelpful.

I agree. There is no value in making her feel bad about her choice. My honeymoon wasn't one others would choose either - but it was mine and we loved it. That's all the matters.

We are going on a cruise tour in September and we can't wait!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree. There is no value in making her feel bad about her choice. My honeymoon wasn't one others would choose either - but it was mine and we loved it. That's all the matters.

We are going on a cruise tour in September and we can't wait!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

not sure I agree. This is cruise critic. you post on a board and your going to get opinion.

Although the comments are frequently geared a certain way- doesn't mean that it was with Mal intent. I like the honesty- OP doesn't have to feel bad, she can just ignore the feedback or comments if they don't suit her needs. DO we want our best friends to lie to us ?

I personally would not choose a cruise tour for a honeymoon unless the itinerary matched up my goals. I just returned from a cruise tour and it was wonderful but it would not match up my vision of what I would want as a honeymoon. luggage packed and out of the room 6:30am; next stop tagged and out of the room at 0645. Stand in line for the restaurant that opens at 0700 with the other 70 people on the two buses that just put their luggage out at 0645.

Again it was great but just not MY vision of honeymoon bliss. We were on the Amazing Race :) this cruise tour with the cray departure times over and over and our busy excursions. I have only been on 6 Alaska cruise tours but I have never had a honeymoon couple on our tour so can't say any couple voiced happiness or unhappiness.

What I would I see more fun for honeymoon w/ Alaska cruise? Seward stay over at a lodge, then hop on the train to anchorage and then on to Denali as a couple, stay a few nights in a lodge or B & B.

ITs a year away and certainly worth throwing the idea out there for are you sure you know what you are getting into- especially since it is well within cancellation or change period. If OP has no interest great but as much as the posts accuse one person of being a little harsh its also a little harsh with the reply to the post.

I also just got back from DWPL and had to listen sadness, anger, etc of why do they even offer the NHT- as the visitors were so very disappointed that they did not know any better or mad that a travel agent didn't guide them better. but I am sure there are people who have been quite happy with NHT.

My comments before were not meant to make OP feel bad, I can't attest to what others intent were- but who on this board wakes up in the morning thinking- how many times can I respond to make someone feel bad or crappy or guilty for their crazy plans or are we coming to the board with intent of helping fellow travelers that share the same passion for travel and cruising that we have.

OP- we just got back and loved our Denali raft adventure- they are associated with Aramark and raft takes off right on the McKinley chalet property- we had a great trip and they are in the toursaver book- Buy one get one free. Alex is one of the managers and was great. Have you looked at all the shuttle bus times to make sure a shuttle bus can't get you further in the park?

does your cruise tour transfer by bus or train?

First off, "he" not "she". ;p

Second, I'll explain with a little more backstory to hopefully help. When narrowing down potential destinations, we had a few criteria:

• Some place both of us had never been
  • Some place we'd likely never have another chance to go to
  • Some place that we both want to go

Her family has been all over Europe and the Caribbean, I have been to 45 of the 50 states. We've heard about it and seen the pictures and decided (pretty quickly) that Alaska was definitely the way to go. Cruise tour sounded perfect since, although I personally love driving, it stresses her out. Yes, for a different occasion or for a different point in time (or if I was going alone) DIY would be the way to go. We are actually doing almost a week DIY beforehand in the Pacific Northwest. Northbound in late June was the only thing that fit into both of our work schedules. Also, instead of multiple nights at different locations, we wanted to see as much of the state as possible in what might be our only trip, so the only place we went for the 2 night option is Fairbanks so we aren't rushed for a flight. Hopefully that explains for everyone (in long, painful detail) why a cruise tour was definitely the best idea for us :D

I mentioned the Tundra Wilderness Tour vice Natural History based on recommendations seen here. I will contact the Lodge and see if there is any way to get on the afternoon TWT when we get there and have the next morning to relax instead. My original question still stands: for those who have been there, assuming that the current plan will remain the plan of record, are there any recommendations of things to do or see around the Princess Denali Lodge?

Thanks again!

ok He. :);p

• Flightseeing
  • Helicopter/hike- this one is actually in Alaska toursaver book for buy one get one free too just like the river rafting.
  • ATV ride I have never done but friends that have said the trip was fun but no wildlife and just the same tundra and scenery we had already seen on our bus & train trips.
  • near princess lodge nothing within walking distance really as an excursion.
  • the WAC I have walked to from princess lodge- its probably about 2 miles because from the main road its still a good walk to WAC or visitors center.
  • Horseshoe lake hike took us an hour if you get off the princess shuttle at the tracks after WAC drop off and worked perfect for pick up about 1hr 10 min later.
  • lots of other moderate hikes near the Visitors center too

Visitors center is nice for a few hours if you aren't necessarily looking for outdoors.

We had a great river rafting in dry suits as I noted above

We just did northbound cruise and tour post- and that was fantastic- I know you will or have already read about people being negative about that. I have done both and they both have pluses and minuses. Life is what you make of it. I would not have wanted it any different for this past cruise. one of my most favorite days of the cruise is north bound evening to noon the next sea day going thru the narrows- watch for whales VERY early the first sea day. orcas typically and lots of wildlife.

You can ignore this one: LOL ......you can still do DIY without driving . Just use the train the entire time and taxis. Gold class on the train traveling just as a couple would be fantastic-ALaska toursaver coupon book has BYGOF for the railroad too and the princess lodges as well

I think Alaska is fabulous for a honeymoon!

Kids and I added up our totals--- about 30-35 miles hiking and 15-20 miles biking for this past Alaska Cruisetour.

we had a couple in our cruise tour train car that only came up to Denali for one overnight- came in on the train and left with us the next day on the Fairbanks 4p train and they were able to get to Eilsen. Reminder you don't need a tour. look at the shuttle bus schedules too as an option--

info not requested- so just stop reading if you don't want to continue on:D : I think you may be on the G12 tour-- I would pick H12 or I 12.

Sorry to be honest but talkeetna and Denali are tough one night stay places.

but honestly again- I would skip talkeetna. Denali for 2-3 nights is fabulous. McKinley princess lodge is out in middle of nowhere. We have gone once and likely never will go back. nice view of mountain but that didn't make it worth it for me. then we had to schlep back to talkeetna for excursions for 1 hr bus ride each way after we had just got of the train and took a bus to the hotel a few hours earlier....

you could consider E11 and then add a night in Fairbanks if this was of interest to you

First off, "he" not "she". ;p

Second, I'll explain with a little more backstory to hopefully help. When narrowing down potential destinations, we had a few criteria:

• Some place both of us had never been
  • Some place we'd likely never have another chance to go to
  • Some place that we both want to go

Her family has been all over Europe and the Caribbean, I have been to 45 of the 50 states. We've heard about it and seen the pictures and decided (pretty quickly) that Alaska was definitely the way to go. Cruise tour sounded perfect since, although I personally love driving, it stresses her out. Yes, for a different occasion or for a different point in time (or if I was going alone) DIY would be the way to go. We are actually doing almost a week DIY beforehand in the Pacific Northwest. Northbound in late June was the only thing that fit into both of our work schedules. Also, instead of multiple nights at different locations, we wanted to see as much of the state as possible in what might be our only trip, so the only place we went for the 2 night option is Fairbanks so we aren't rushed for a flight. Hopefully that explains for everyone (in long, painful detail) why a cruise tour was definitely the best idea for us :D

I mentioned the Tundra Wilderness Tour vice Natural History based on recommendations seen here. I will contact the Lodge and see if there is any way to get on the afternoon TWT when we get there and have the next morning to relax instead. My original question still stands: for those who have been there, assuming that the current plan will remain the plan of record, are there any recommendations of things to do or see around the Princess Denali Lodge?

Thanks again!

We are doing Cruisetour J5. We are traveling from Mt.McKinley in the morning to Denali. The tour normally has us scheduled for the Natural History Tour the next morning. I called and checked if we could do the Tundra Tour the day we arrive at Denali. We can. We should arrive around 12:00 and the tour begins around 2:00. We just have to pay the difference. That allows us to sleep later the next day. I hope you can get the same type of thing.

I'm glad that I knew ahead of time to change over from the Natural History Tour to the Tundra Wilderness Tour. Some folks on our cruise tour who were stuck on the Natural History Tour were amazed at how much wildlife we had seen (as well as seeing the mountain, which they did not get to see on their tour). We visited the sled dogs our second morning before having to leave.

One advantage we had of booking a cruise tour was getting to do some things we may not have done if booking things on our on, such as the riverboat cruise in Fairbanks followed by the visit to the gold dredge. (We still have our little containers of gold dust somewhere.) We also had a great time on the train from Fairbanks to Denali.

I agree that our time at the McKinley Lodge was not optimum. We did get to enjoy a free morning hike with a naturalist there.

I hate to say that honeymoons are not what they used to be--but the reality is that they're not since most couples have gotten to know each other more than couples of our grandparents' generation had before marriage. (nudge nudge)

I think most people look at itineraries of cruise tours from the cruise lines and assume THAT is the plan. When I first started to look, that's what I saw. I still don't understand if you pay for things like the history tour and that's included, but if you want to do something better if you pay for the entire cost or just the difference. Finally, we just looked at the cost of the cruise tour and even a rail tour with Gray Line and decided to rent a car. We can see more and save so much and put that money to better use at Denali.

. . . I hate to say that honeymoons are not what they used to be--but the reality is that they're not since most couples have gotten to know each other more than couples of our grandparents' generation had before marriage. (nudge nudge)
:D I'm sure there are some grandparents out there who would be going "nudge nudge" too. :D

I think most people look at itineraries of cruise tours from the cruise lines and assume THAT is the plan. When I first started to look, that's what I saw. I still don't understand if you pay for things like the history tour and that's included, but if you want to do something better if you pay for the entire cost or just the difference. Finally, we just looked at the cost of the cruise tour and even a rail tour with Gray Line and decided to rent a car. We can see more and save so much and put that money to better use at Denali.

If you upgrade an excursion, you just pay the difference. I have also read that if you cancel an excursion that is part of the cruisetour, they will refund the money for that part.

If you upgrade an excursion, you just pay the difference. I have also read that if you cancel an excursion that is part of the cruisetour, they will refund the money for that part.

I refunded the TWT and received about $600 back from Princess and paid $57 for Wonderlake shuttle bus. my kids were free with shuttle bus so all I had to pay was for me

Would you consider cancelling the "cruise-land tour" and doing the trip on your own with a rental car? Anything you can do on a pre-packaged trip from the cruise lines you can also do on your own, often for less money. Plus you can customize your trip based on what you want to do & see. Traveling in Alaska is pretty straight forward and there's no need to let someone else determine what you do.

I agree. We just returned from an 8 day DIY. Not nearly as hard as planning a wedding. Rented a car and toured Matanuska Glacier, Denali, stopped in Girdwood on our way to Seward, with a day excursion to Katmai. It was wonderful. There's plenty of help on this board.