Where does the Regal Princess dock in Oslo

If you look up Oslo on kroozcams the camera looks over the berth, to get bearings the building top left with the sloping roof is the new Opera House.

Its a short walk to the centre and you can buy an Oslo Pass, attraction and transport tickets at the Tourist Office on the dockside.

According to the port schedule, Regal Princess will be docking at the main pier Søndre Akershuskai (SAK) for the rest of this season.

Oslo is a very easy city to get around. The city center is fairly small, and public transit is straightforward even if you don't speak the language (lots of digital text displays with stop information, English announcements on the metro, etc). The Oslo Pass covers most museum admissions as well as public transit and the Bygdøy ferry (that leaves from a pier in front of city hall, very close to the cruise pier), so it can be a good deal if you're planning to visit a few of the museums.

Just to add to Kaisatsu's response: Sondre Akershuskai denotes Akershus Fortress, which is right across the street from the cruise terminal. Also, you can walk to Vigeland Sculpture Park in roughly 45 minutes (at least, I did). If you're into walking, this can be a good alternative to relying on the trams and far cheaper than paying for an excursion.

Hubby and I walked the entire time in Oslo. We left around 11am from the terminal to Vigeland, spent some time there (including time for a drink/snack), walked back through the gardens of the Palace spent time watching the changing of the guard), continued down Karl Johans Gate (shopped for a bit), and then to the Oslo Opera House where we climbed up the roof. When I checked my emails inside the Opera House afterwards, it was around 3/3:30pm. So, if you're thinking of doing Oslo on your own, it is very easy to do so. Just time the museums and City Hall for the beginning of the day and you'll have plenty of time for the rest. The Akershus grounds are open all night, you only need to worry about timing if you want to see inside the Fortress or take a group tour.

Are the fortress grounds really open all night? The website specifies that the main gate and the side gate both close at 21:00 in the summer months: https://www.forsvarsbygg.no/no/festningene/finn-din-festning/akershus-festning/besoksinformasjon/

I was there once in the colder months after they had closed the side gate, but maybe they don't always do it? I suppose the outside areas around the edges are accessible later (e.g. for those visiting the Festningen restaurant or attending events at Kontrasjæret), and come to think of it, there's a passage by the Resistance Museum. If they don't gate that, it may be possible to get into the grounds that way after 21:00 even if the other gates are closed.

As far as discount cards go there is the Oslo Pass which includes public transport and entry to many attractions. You just have to work out if you have time to visit enough attractions that you will save money. I found it good value as I managed to squeeze in Folk Museum, Viking Ship Museum, Maritime Museum, Fram, Kon-Tiki, Akershus Castle and Holmenkollen Ski Jump with public transport

https://www.visitoslo.com/en/activities-and-attractions/oslo-pass/

You can pick one up at the shopping stalls at the dock.

I may have exaggerated about all night :confused:. It certainly felt late to me! However, your assumption about other ways to get in is correct as there are back entry ways, which is how hubby and I got in, and a publically accessible roadway between the fortress grounds and the Armed Forces Museum. Whether those are closed at 9pm is unclear.

• 2 months later...
It is probably better value to buy a transport pass.

The tourist office on the port sell them.

Thank you. Do they take Credit Cards?

Also, just in case we decide that its best to pay for individual journeys, can I pay by card on the actual transport? We aren't in port for long and don't intend to spend more than a couple of hours ashore (for various reasons).

Cheers

Can you use credit cards on the public transport? Don't really want to bother exchanging money for Krone for such a short visit.
Also, just in case we decide that its best to pay for individual journeys, can I pay by card on the actual transport? We aren't in port for long and don't intend to spend more than a couple of hours ashore (for various reasons).

You can only buy tickets on board for buses and ferries (not tram or metro). On-board tickets costs 22 NOK extra and can only be purchased in cash (no bank notes over 200 NOK).

Single tickets and 24-hour passes can also be purchased at any convenience store (7-11, Narvesen, Deli de Luca, Mix, etc). Nearly all shops (including convenience stores and the tourist offices) accept bank cards.

A single ticket costs 33 NOK, and a 24-hour pass costs 90 NOK, so if you think you'll take more than two trips (or pay for just two trips on board), it's worth buying the pass. All tickets/passes for seniors (>67) and their spouses cost half the price.

(Note that the ferry between the city hall and the Bygdøy museums is no longer run by the transit authority and is not covered by the regular tickets or transit passes. It is still covered by the Oslo Pass.)