Question about privite tours in Cork (Cobh)

itsanita

We are in port from 10:30am to 6pm. We know it is very touristy, but we all want to see the Blarney Castle. And would like a visit to Kinsale.

We are trying to choose between a Cork Taxi Tour that will do both and Butler Tour that will not add Kinsale as they say it is too much to do in 6 hours. They suggest Blarney Castle and a driving tour of the city of Cork with a stop at a Pub for lunch.

I am looking for some opinions from someone who has done these tours or is from that area. Is both the Castle and Kinsale too much in that time frame? Is a 'driving tour' of Cork something to do on our first and probably only visit to this area? HELP!!

We were on a Princess cruise last month. We enjoyed going with Butler to Blarney Castle and Kinsale. The brief drive through Cork wasn't that interesting. I always prefer going to places and being able to have some time there rather than just driving by them. The best part was the great driver/guide on the bus named John O'Donovan, I believe. He was very good--very entertaining (including his singing) and knowledgeable. He's a native of Cobh.

We had time for an 8-hour tour, but even then, it was a little bit rushed. With your much shorter time in port, I'd recommend trying to do whichever will give you the most time at Blarney. We did not have time, for instance, to go to the woolen mills or to do as much hiking there as I would have liked since we waited to kiss the stone (fortunately we got there when the line wasn't too bad--just 45 minutes).

I think it would be possible to do it ok, presuming that Cork Taxi tours are using a sedan type car with only your party of 2-4 pax.

Presuming that you are off the ship and in your taxi by 11.00 am then your itinerary would be like this

depart Cobh 11.00 am

arrive Kinsale 11.50 am, (2 hours to walk around and have lunch in Fishy,Fishy!

depart Kinsale 2.00 pm

arrive Blarney 2.50 pm,

depart Blarney 4.15 pm

arrive Cobh 5.00 pm

All Aboard 5.30 pm.

This is the reverse to the itinerary that is normally suggested, but as you have a late arrival in port, then I suggest you go directly to Kinsale. This means that the coach tours which go to Blarney early will have departed when you arrive in Blarney and the loines should be much shorter. If you want to visit Charles Fort, just outside Kinsale, then you would need to skip a sit down lunch and grab and go!

Talk to Cork Taxi tours and if they say that it can be done, then I would be inclined to go with it! The city centre is completely unsuitable for a drive thru viewing. You need to be on foot to visit the English Market, Old Goal, Shandon, etc.

p.s. If the queue to kiss the Blarney Stone is too long, then in emergencies and if a visitor has tried their best, but due to time constraints is unable to kiss the stone then Cork taxi drivers have the right to bestow the gift of the gab onto their passengers ;p (but don't tell him that I told you that!)

We used Butlers for a half-day tour in August. We went to Blarney Castle and on a driving tour of Cork. We were very happy with our guide and loved Blarney Castle. The gardens are spectacular! Cork was fine but nothing exciting. The tour length was perfect for us because we had enough time to walk around Cobh afterwards. It was a great day!

Having been to both, I'd easily give up Kinsale for more time in Blarney if time were short.

Kinsale is nice, but really, it's just a town and I'm not sure it's worth the hour there and the hour back when you don't have many hours to spare. Is there something you especially want to do or see in Kinsale?

Blarney Castle is more than just the castle and stone -- the gardens are extensive. My favourite part was the lovely Rock Close area. And then you've got the Woolen Mills across the road.

I spent a lot of time as a young man. I personally think Kinsale is the better bet - it's a lovely town, gourmet capital of Ireland. Perfect to amble about for a bit, pop in somewhere for a nice coffee and scone (pronounce it like cone not con!) or if you want to be properly Irish a pub lunch with a pint of Murphy's!

One of the posters above reckoned Blarney Castle is the far better option. Guess it's just subjective! I think you could probably do both, but the second part of your tour will probably become a bit rushed.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for your replies. I think we will go with Cork Taxi and try to do both. It will be a private tour, just the 4 of us, so if we love the castle and spend too much time there, we will just not go to Kinsale. If that happens, any suggestions for the rest of our day? Not too keen on a 'driving tour of Cork".

Thanks so much for your replies. I think we will go with Cork Taxi and try to do both. It will be a private tour, just the 4 of us, so if we love the castle and spend too much time there, we will just not go to Kinsale. If that happens, any suggestions for the rest of our day? Not too keen on a 'driving tour of Cork".

For plan 'B' ask the driver to take you to Cork Gaol. Its an interesting tour of the old prison. OR. visit Nano Nagle Place http://nanonagleplace.ie/ . Nano Nagle founded the Presentation Sisters religious order and was a pioneer of eduction for girls.

Trying to make the same decision when we go to Ireland next year!

I'm tempted to skip Barney Castle because we're already doing so many castles around the U.K. this trip. Even if we go, we won't wait in line to kiss the Blarney Stone; we would visit to see the grounds and gardens.

I'm pretty sure we want to visit Kinsale, because it looks so charming, and it would be fun to do a lunch there. Also considering the Jameson whiskey experience. I also want to make sure and visit the Cobh Heritage Center for the educational value (we are huge history buffs). That's something we can probably do an hour or so at the end of the day.

We're traveling with an 11 yo son and a 12 yo daughter. Any thoughts or suggestions as to how we should narrow it down? There is never enough time to see everything that interests us!

I'm in the same boat too. Trying to decide what to do in Cork. I thought about Kinsale because, if I understand correctly, it's a bit of a drive so we would be seeing some of the Irish countryside and the "green" of Ireland and it sounds like a charming town to walk around. But I would also like to see Blarney Castle, neither of us is particularly interested in the Blarney Stone, but exploring gardens and the area around the castle would be of interest. Is this even possible?

Yes. Many people on our tour bus skipped waiting in line to kiss the Blarney Stone. And many people skipped kissing it when up there. The view is terrific, however, from the top of the tower. We were lucky to run into folks we met on a cruise five years ago and used the time in line to catch up with them. If you skip it, you'll have plenty of time to tour the beautiful gardens and go to the Blarney Woollen Mills for shopping. We had time for seeing part of the gardens (primarily the Rock Close area and the Poison Garden). We did not have time for shopping.

Here's a map of Blarney Castle that shows how much there is to see: http://www.mappery.com/maps/Blarney-Castle-Map-2.jpg

Edited by geoherb

Yes. Many people on our tour bus skipped waiting in line to kiss the Blarney Stone. And many people skipped kissing it when up there. The view is terrific, however, from the top of the tower. We were lucky to run into folks we met on a cruise five years ago and used the time in line to catch up with them. If you skip it, you'll have plenty of time to tour the beautiful gardens and go to the Blarney Woollen Mills for shopping. We had time for seeing part of the gardens (primarily the Rock Close area and the Poison Garden). We did not have time for shopping.

Here's a map of Blarney Castle that shows how much there is to see: http://www.mappery.com/maps/Blarney-Castle-Map-2.jpg

It sounds like you could easily spend a few hours at the Castle.