Glaciers, Glaciers and Glaciers

marx

We are in the early stages of planning for a northbound Alaska cruise in late August 2018. The ship cruises by the Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay. We will be staying two nights in Seward and will visit Exit Glacier while there. Other glaciers we can visit are the Mendenhall Glacier and the glaciers of Kenai Fjords National Park via a 7 hour cruise tour. (If we don't visit the glaciers of Kenai Fjords National Park, we will at least take a wildlife cruise). Is this glacier overkill? Right now I am including all these glaciers in my touring plans, but am considering not taking the Kenai Fjords National Park cruise tour.

Just something to consider.... we planned 4 glacier experiences on our land & cruise trip (Mantanuska, Kenai Fjords, Mendenhall, Hubbard). Only 1 of the 4 worked out as we'd planned, due to weather (Mantanuska). Our KF cruise was shortened and we didn't get to cross to see the glaciers, our heli tour @ Mendenhall was cancelled & our visibility of Hubbard was significantly decreased and from far away. Now, that being said, we had a FABULOUS time and made the best of all of those days. No regrets at all and very thankful for the multiple opportunities!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did a NB cruise which went to Glacier Bay and College Fjord, hiked to Mendenhall Glacier, Exit Glacier, took the Kenai Fjords 6-hour tour and even saw Byron Glacier on our way back to Anchorage. We couldn’t get enough! You see a lot of wildlife on the Kenai Fjords trip, we probably saw more there than anywhere else.

If glaciers are a priority then no way you can get enough of them. They can be very different experiences. Matanuska Glacier was mentioned which is totally different than the others you noted. It is the most easily accessible glacier in Alaska. You can be on the glacier in 10-15 minutes from the parking lot. A guided trip with MICA or NOVA will provide the best experience. 2 hours north of Anchorage.

Are you interested in glaciers? The Kenai Fjords boat tours, are probably more of a varied wildlife tours that an glacier tour. This can be a highlight for some Alaska visitors.

Every experience is unique, a constants state of change. There is no comparison between viewing glaciers from a cruise ship and a boat tour, so, differences there as well.

Thanks everyone for the advice! Seeing the glaciers are a priority for us, so I will plan to see as much as we can.

What times are you in Juneau?

I would do the Kenai Fiords trip. I wouldn't miss it.

We are Juneau 11am-9pm.

I've added the Kenai Fjords National Park cruise to my plans. Thx!

First time cruiser; booked on Holland America Westerdam next July. The cruise leaves from Seward with stops in Haines, Juneau, and Ketchikan. Although Kenai Fiords sounds fabulous, it sounds like I wouldn't be able to do it because the tours all leave from Seward - is that right? I am just starting to look at what excursions to do in each of the three ports we will be at and will be posting questions for them. In the meantime, just wanted to know if Kenai Fiords should be crossed off the list to consider.

First time cruiser; booked on Holland America Westerdam next July. The cruise leaves from Seward with stops in Haines, Juneau, and Ketchikan. Although Kenai Fiords sounds fabulous, it sounds like I wouldn't be able to do it because the tours all leave from Seward - is that right? I am just starting to look at what excursions to do in each of the three ports we will be at and will be posting questions for them. In the meantime, just wanted to know if Kenai Fiords should be crossed off the list to consider.

Since your cruise leaves from Seward, why do you think you can't do a Kenai Fjords tour? Confused by your question.

You could be right, and that's why I'm a "newbie". We arrive in Fairbanks and will be in Denali for two nights; then we head to Anchorage and on to Seward where we board the ship, which sails at 8:00 pm. I don't know how long it takes to get from Anchorage to Seward or how much time we will have before we need to board the ship, so I guess I will check with my travel agent first. I was assuming that the day we board would be too hectic to plan an excursion, but maybe I'm wrong.

If you are planning on coming to Seward the same day your cruise starts, there are Kenai Fjords tours that work with the morning Coastal Classic train arrival from Anchorage and return in time for you to board your ship (e.g. Major Marine or Kenai Fjords tours each have a 6-hour tour from 11:30 AM to 5:30 PM).

If you stay overnight in Seward, you might also fit in the Alaska Sealife Center and Exit Glacier.

You could be right, and that's why I'm a "newbie". We arrive in Fairbanks and will be in Denali for two nights; then we head to Anchorage and on to Seward where we board the ship, which sails at 8:00 pm. I don't know how long it takes to get from Anchorage to Seward or how much time we will have before we need to board the ship, so I guess I will check with my travel agent first. I was assuming that the day we board would be too hectic to plan an excursion, but maybe I'm wrong.

Are you staying overnight in Anchorage? The Coastal Classic train leaves Anchorage at 6:45 AM and arrives in Seward at 11:05 AM. The bout tour companies have shuttles that meet the train so one can make their 11:30 tours. There are also buses that go from Anchorage to Seward. By rental car, it is about 2 and a half hours drive best case but road delays may make it longer.

Are you on a Holland America cruise tour or are you doing your own land tour? If it is a cruise tour package, it may only arrive in Seward in time to board your ship.

are you on a cruise tour, or traveling independently? Easy to get from Anchorage to Seward by train, bus, one way rental car. Absolutely you can do a "tour" the same day, frankly, I never suggest people rush to get on a cruise ship in Alaska. Ask yourself, why did you go there and how long is it going to take you to return? I board the ship around 6pm and enjoy my full day of touring, which is my priority- every trip. :) You need to think about what will work best for you and what you want out of your trip,

I will say, however, there is no comparison to what you see on a boat tour, and the cruise ship. Grossly superior for the tours. :)

Just a caution, I don't find many travel agents knowledgable about Alaska or who know those specific details that can make big differences. You will get far more complete, up to date and accruate information from this site and Trip advisor. At the least consider looking at those.