Sun Princess cancelled departure from Singapore today

MissCruising1

Sorry if there is already a thread - I did go looking!

Sun Princess was scheduled to cruise from Singapore to Perth today after completing her stay in dry dock... guess dry dock kept beckoning as the departure has been cancelled.

I've heard that:

Princess have a team on hand at the terminal who are assisting passengers.

Princess will booking them flights home and are covering any incidentals as well.

Princess are will providing a full refund.

Passengers will also receive a 100% future cruise credit to all effected passengers.

Possible reschedule departure is now 30th August as she does have to make her way to Australia for the summer season.

I couldn't imagine what it would be like to arrive at Check In and told the cruise was cancelled! :eek:

Princess "Spin Doctors" say cruise cancelled because of a power issue with SUN PRINCESS .

Is that really the reason ? or was the scheduled time in drydock too tight/too ambitious ?

In either case a bad stuff up by Princess and very costly to them .

Official Princess Cruises statement on cancellation of Sun Princess first voyage after $30m dry dock:

While work was being completed to Sun Princess during a scheduled drydock in Singapore, there was a malfunction to the ship’s switchboard resulting in limited onboard power hindering our ability to run all hotel operations.

Regretfully, we’ve made the decision to cancel the cruise scheduled to depart today in order to make the necessary repairs. The ship will resume service on September 3.

We’re providing all passengers a full refund and a 100 percent future cruise credit. Additionally, we’re covering the costs for all return flights home and incidentals. A special team has been sent to Singapore to assist passengers.

Sun Princess just underwent an extensive drydock in Singapore. The ship was originally scheduled to depart today on a 14-day Asia cruise ending in Fremantle, Australia on September 3. The next cruise is scheduled to depart Fremantle on September 3 for a 12-day Asia cruise ending in Singapore on September 15.

Princess "Spin Doctors" say cruise cancelled because of a power issue with SUN PRINCESS .

Is that really the reason ? or was the scheduled time in drydock too tight/too ambitious ?

In either case a bad stuff up by Princess and very costly to them .

Probably a very ambitious drydock schedule!

Official Princess Cruises statement on cancellation of Sun Princess first voyage after $30m dry dock:

While work was being completed to Sun Princess during a scheduled drydock in Singapore, there was a malfunction to the ship’s switchboard resulting in limited onboard power hindering our ability to run all hotel operations.

Regretfully, we’ve made the decision to cancel the cruise scheduled to depart today in order to make the necessary repairs. The ship will resume service on September 3.

We’re providing all passengers a full refund and a 100 percent future cruise credit. Additionally, we’re covering the costs for all return flights home and incidentals. A special team has been sent to Singapore to assist passengers.

Sun Princess just underwent an extensive drydock in Singapore. The ship was originally scheduled to depart today on a 14-day Asia cruise ending in Fremantle, Australia on September 3. The next cruise is scheduled to depart Fremantle on September 3 for a 12-day Asia cruise ending in Singapore on September 15.

Are they also reimbursing you for the Full cost of your airline tickets for which you are still out of pocket for? Airfare to Singapore is expensive.

Edited by Red Hat Cruise Cat

She did have a power failure this time last year as she was heading home from Auckland at the end of the World Cruise.

My experience with Princess with cancellations and move overs has been very good, they make it very easy and come through with their promises.

Better for the cruise to be cancelled than to have problems at sea like the Carnival ships did.

Sent from my AMID-972XS using Tapatalk 2

True - they probably do have insurance but WOW still a massive cost! Passengers I know that were booked are now at SIN airport on their way back to Australia... in their words 'Drama!'

I'm sure it has been a huge day - but I agree with the comment above - better to pull the plug (no pun intended :) then go out to sea with an issue. Delaying for 10 days means there is a massive issue!

Someone at Princess Cruises is having a very bad day!

How terrible for the passengers on the cancelled cruise but better than experiencing problems at sea. I avoid a cruise after drydock because sometimes things go wrong & problems happen. Even the last cruise before drydock can be affected when work begins during the cruise before drydock.

I think booking a cruise on a ship after a major dry dock is a gamble. Good thing these alligators lifted there heads before the ship headed out. Even maiden voyages can be dicey. We were booked on the maiden voyage of the Coral and something happened - no cruise!!!

How terrible for the passengers on the cancelled cruise but better than experiencing problems at sea. I avoid a cruise after drydock because sometimes things go wrong & problems happen. Even the last cruise before drydock can be affected when work begins during the cruise before drydock.

We were on the Sun princess transpacific when was taken down to AU and it was going into drydock then (Oct 2007) to be fitted for the Australian market, they were making more cabins into 3 and 4 berth cabins etc,

What were they doing this drydock and do you think it was princess or the drydock place that expected too much in the time frame.

Better now than out at sea like the Truimph:eek:

I think booking a cruise on a ship after a major dry dock is a gamble. Good thing these alligators lifted there heads before the ship headed out. Even maiden voyages can be dicey. We were booked on the maiden voyage of the Coral and something happened - no cruise!!!

We were booked on the Ruby Innaugral cruise and it got moved forward a week, they offered us the same cabin for the same price so we did both weeks - luckily it fitted into my work schedule at the time:D

I was due to be on this cruise. Now in hotel and will see what happens tomorrow. I was doing back to back cruise on this boat so I would rather catch it at Perth. What you think?

Keep us posted on what happens and hope you get to board on 3rd, Maybe princess will let you sail back to Perth once drydock is done :D:D

We were on the Sun princess transpacific when was taken down to AU and it was going into drydock then (Oct 2007) to be fitted for the Australian market, they were making more cabins into 3 and 4 berth cabins etc,

What were they doing this drydock and do you think it was princess or the drydock place that expected too much in the time frame.

Better now than out at sea like the Truimph:eek:

A link to info including another link to photos of it's progress:

http://www.princess.com/news/press_releases/2013/08/Sun-Princess-Begins-Dramatic-Drydock-Transformation.html

. . . Lucy! You've got some 'splainin' to doooo.

What a blow this would be after so much anticipation for a wonderful cruise!:(

Pablo - I love your little quip. I am sure lots of younger people don't know what you mean but I always loved I Love Lucy and this sentence was a staple each week!;)

I was due to be on this cruise. Now in hotel and will see what happens tomorrow. I was doing back to back cruise on this boat so I would rather catch it at Perth. What you think?

Ace -- sorry to hear your cruise was cancelled! If you're up to it, drop us a line and let us know how you feel everything was handled -- and whether you decide to catch up with the second leg of your b2b.

Thanks and good luck!

Jamey

jamey@cruisecritic.co.uk

Wow, how terrible for all those passengers. Not much fun for Princess either. I don't know what I would feel like in that situation. Better than being out at sea with a power cut but how very disappointing. I feel for them.

My husband always says to not book on a new ship or on one straight after dry dock and I now agree with the latter.

"Princess....you must be joking. I am one of the almost 2000 passengers who were greeted with the news of cruise cancellation when we arrived at Marina Bay cruise centre in Singapore today.To say I'm disappointed is an understatement! At least you might have given us the courtesy of an earlier indication of impending problems. Why else would Princess have called me last week asking if I would care to defer my cruise for a month? http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-20/cruise-cancelled-abruptly-stranding-thousands/4900552"

Eric Black

From CC News

Sorry if there is already a thread - I did go looking!

Sun Princess was scheduled to cruise from Singapore to Perth today after completing her stay in dry dock... guess dry dock kept beckoning as the departure has been cancelled.

I've heard that:

Princess have a team on hand at the terminal who are assisting passengers.

Princess will booking them flights home and are covering any incidentals as well.

Princess are will providing a full refund.

Passengers will also receive a 100% future cruise credit to all effected passengers.

Possible reschedule departure is now 30th August as she does have to make her way to Australia for the summer season.

I couldn't imagine what it would be like to arrive at Check In and told the cruise was cancelled! :eek:

I can't imagine flying half way around the world to find out our cruise was cancelled! How devastating! :eek: