Oosterdam Veranda VH catagory

alshasta

Booked for May 20, 2012. I got what I thought was a very good deal for a VH catagory veranda room. After booking I checked the deck plans and found only 4 rooms in that catagory and they were at the very front of the ship. Has anyone been in this catagory and did you experience any issues with the cabin? I have been on the Oosterdam before in an SY catagory suite and that was very nice but the location of the VH does concern me. I booked as soon as I received this deal in a GTY room and Im hoping for an upgrade. Any thoughts? Thanks

Booked for May 20, 2012. I got what I thought was a very good deal for a VH catagory veranda room. After booking I checked the deck plans and found only 4 rooms in that catagory and they were at the very front of the ship. Has anyone been in this catagory and did you experience any issues with the cabin? I have been on the Oosterdam before in an SY catagory suite and that was very nice but the location of the VH does concern me. I booked as soon as I received this deal in a GTY room and Im hoping for an upgrade. Any thoughts? Thanks

You can see photos and read descriptions of some of the Oosterdam staterooms at the following URLS (Just click on the Deck number below):

Deck 1 - Main Deck - Staterooms 1001 - 1127

Deck 4 - Upper Promenade Deck - Staterooms 4001 - 4185

Deck 5 - Verandah Deck - Staterooms 5001 - 5191

Deck 6 - Upper Verandah Deck - Staterooms 6001 - 6177

Deck 7 - Rotterdam Deck - Staterooms 7001 - 7151

Deck 8 - Navigation Deck - Staterooms 8001 - 8147

Oosterdam Main Info Page

Joanie

To Boytjie, Because it was a 'flash price' and needed to be booked asap! Thanks for your "helpful" comment!

You are welcome! Even for a flash I am sure there's enough time to check a deck plan. :D

If your booking is marked "OK to upgrade" I would think you stand a good chance of getting an upgrade since there are only 4 of them.

The cabin layouts should be similar to the adjacent VFs and VDs - but with showers only and the steel balcony railing.

The biggest issue I would see is feeling more movement that far up front.

I think you'll be fine with one of these cabins besides I'm with you, you'll problably get upgraded anyway, so I wouldn't get all worked up about it.

Thank you Joanie. I did look those plans over but I only found four rooms in the VH catagory. Did you happen to see others in the VH catagory. Thanks again.

Not of the Oosterdam but of her sister ship Westerdam I do:) Layouts will be almost exact duplicates on all the Vista ships, Noordam, Oosterdam, Westerdam and Zuiderdam, with only very minute differences) Westerdam Deck 4 VH 4001 is here http://abqreunion2008.com/Westerdam/Deck-4.html

Keep in mind that VH 4001 through VH 4004 and VF 4005 through VF 4042 are staterooms with solid steel verandah railings instead of clear-view Plexiglas® railings.

Joanie

Boytjie, Thank you again. You hit my main concern and that is the movement.
Another area of concern should be the sometimes noisy show lounge right below.

In all the time I've been on CC I've only heard of two people booking a VH gty and actually getting one. It's my theory that they are mainly assigned as upgrades to people who book outsides or insides.

However, an upgrade is not likely to be more mid-ship, but rather a VA far forward on decks 7 or 8, which are worse for total motion because you have more roll up there.. At least that's been our experience.

Your right, not trying to backpeddle here but I have cruised several times and I didnt do my research this time. I got to intrigued by the price I guess.

A bad day on a cruise is still better than a good day at work! Unless you are in a VH cabin during a hurricane :D

Boytjie, I see your a diver. I am also. My favorite is the Caymans. I havent been able to dive for a couple years due to a sinus issue but I hope to again very soon. I really miss it.

No, I just play one on TV. :)

Just kidding! Cruising in the Caribbean has taken me to a lot of nice scuba diving. So far I think I liked Cozumel and Grand Turk the best. Sorry to hear that you have been unable to dive lately. I have had some ear problems swimming and diving and finally found out that one ear tube is quite narrow causing some of the issues, so I have to just make sure I equalize well and descend very slowly. And taking a Sudafed before diving. :)

Agreed, I pretty much like cruising over most things, most!! I have dove Cozumel too. I think it was great drift dive. Left from the Plaza las Glorias. Dive operators did a good job. Havent been to Grand Turk yet but its on the list, that is if I can get back to diving. Dove quite a few places and oddly Hawaii was just Okay. The 'Tunnels" off of Molokai were good and I thought Molokina was somewhat over rated but it was worth doing.:)

Archived