room 7208? first time cruiser needs help!

melanie1877

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on this board for a few weeks, collecting as much information as I can. I am going on my very first cruise this coming May (Carnival Pride, May 2-9, out of Baltimore), and have been told by my TA that I have been assigned room 7208 (balcony room). Accompanying me on this cruise will be my mother (56), and my son (3), both of whom are first time cruisers, as well. Does anyone have any knowledge of this room? My TA told me that this is a good location, in the middle of the ship. Is this true? I did ask for a room that would minimize the likelihood of seasickness (my mother is TERRIFIED of this happening), and that would be a good location with a small child. I don't see us using Camp Carnival (I can't imagine leaving my child with a stranger, but that's just me, I'm a very nervous mom), so do you think that I will find enough to entertain my son? I know he will love the pools and slide, but I was wondering why they open so late? (the carnival website says 1pm) Sorry for all the questions, but I like to have as much info. as I can before I go. I never thought that I would be a cruise person, I'm so high strung, I can't imagine spending DAYS getting somewhere, but I've got to just try and relax and enjoy the journey!! This trip is a birthday / mother's day gift for my mother, so I hope it turns out wonderful!!! Any helpful tips or advice you can think of for a first timer with a small child, would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance for all of your help!

You are exactly mid-ship. We really enjoy these balcony rooms on the Verandah deck.

If your not comfortable with him going into Camp Carnival then you can expect a very family oriented vacation. Most organized activities are through the program for children his age. Also know that he must be fully potty trained to go into the pool and use the slide.

No need to be nervous. Just plan on having a great time and it will happen. :)

I have this cabin for the 4/4/10 sailing - I can tell you it IS mid-ship and low enough in the ship you should feel very little rocking. I plan to do a review when we get back I can let you know then what the cabin is like but they don't really change within the categories- if you see a picture of one balcony cabin, you've seen them all.

Relax - there is enough aboard ship to discover and enjoy it will take you a day or two to find it all anyway. I think you may be limiting yourself if you don't at least go to the kid's club orientation and find out what it's all about. As another poster said the activites for each age group are done through the club. Don't miss out on some of the sing alongs, sundae making etc.

Cabin 7208 is in the front of the ship. Not a bad location, but not in the center.

(If you go to www.carnival.com, click the ships tab then decks. You will be able to check it out)

Actually, according to the diagram for the Pride, it is almost exactly amid-ship. It is the forward-most cabin in the port bump-out.

It is, however, next to the stairs and close to the atrium and elevators. That may be very good, or very bad, depending on your priorities...

You are exactly mid-ship. We really enjoy these balcony rooms on the Verandah deck.

If your not comfortable with him going into Camp Carnival then you can expect a very family oriented vacation. Most organized activities are through the program for children his age. Also know that he must be fully potty trained to go into the pool and use the slide.

No need to be nervous. Just plan on having a great time and it will happen. :)

Pretty close, one or two cabins away from being EXACTLY mid-ship.

Cabin 7208 is in the front of the ship. Not a bad location, but not in the center.

(If you go to www.carnival.com, click the ships tab then decks. You will be able to check it out)

WHAT deckplan are you looking at?

Let your son check out Camp Carnival for a few hours, he'll appreciate being off the umbilical cord.

Thanks so much for all of the help, guys! Carolin, what do you mean by "full potty-trained"?? I know that seems like a weird question, but my son NEVER poops in his pants anymore, but every now and then, when he's having too much fun, he might have a pee accident. I had planned on wearing a swim diaper on him under his trunks, just in case. Is this okay?? I would be VERY upset if he could not use the pools and slide. Help!!

Thanks so much for all of the help, guys! Carolin, what do you mean by "full potty-trained"?? I know that seems like a weird question, but my son NEVER poops in his pants anymore, but every now and then, when he's having too much fun, he might have a pee accident. I had planned on wearing a swim diaper on him under his trunks, just in case. Is this okay?? I would be VERY upset if he could not use the pools and slide. Help!!

no diapers/swimmies allowed in the pool's. he IS potty trained, all kids when they get so into what their doing can have accidents. as the other poster said, let him check out camp carnival. it is completely safe, they give you a phone/pager for if anything goes wrong and you have to sign him in AND out, which you can put you and your mom on it. so no one else can sign him out NOR can he leave on his own. give him a chance :)

also, that room is mid ship from the diagram.

On our last cruise my sons were 4 and 7 . They loved the camp and that is all they still talk about 6 years later. I would definitely check it out and see how comfortable you are with the counselors. But the camp gives him a chance to meet other kids his age and do some fun activities and gives you a little alone time, something all moms need.

In the picture if you look just under the fantail, you'll see the middle bump out section of cabins - 7208 is the first cabin on the verandah (count 3 levels of cabins down from the top)

attachment.php?attachmentid=150326&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1269026417

I'd need the Hubble Telescope to see where you're verbally pointing to.

Thanks for all of the help and advice. I've decided to take your advice and sign my son up for camp carnival. If I sign him up, I'll receive the schedule of events for the kids, right? That way, I'll know what activities are being offered for that day, and if I think it is something he would enjoy. My question is, if there is something on the agenda that I think he would like, can I accompany him to this activity, or do I have to leave him there alone? I know, I know, everyone says I should let him go it alone, but I just wouldn't be able to relax not being there with him. I'm sure there will be things he would like, and I'm sure he would like being around other kids his own age, so I hope that they would allow me to accompany him to activities.

One other thing, I booked the Blue Lagoon Island excursion for us on Nassau, and when I went to the page where you select which members of your party are going on the excursion, it would not let me highlight my son's name. I called the carnival 800 number, and the rep that I talked to told me that children three and under are free for this excursion. However, on the carn. website, they have those icons that describe the different trips, and the icon for children three and under wasn't listed for this excursion. Does anyone know if the rep gave me the correct info? I would hate to get to Nassau only to find out my 3yo was not able to go on the excursion because he wasn't booked.

Gosh, with these questions, you must all think I am really high strung (I AM!!):o

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on this board for a few weeks, collecting as much information as I can. I am going on my very first cruise this coming May (Carnival Pride, May 2-9, out of Baltimore), and have been told by my TA that I have been assigned room 7208 (balcony room). Accompanying me on this cruise will be my mother (56), and my son (3), both of whom are first time cruisers, as well. Does anyone have any knowledge of this room? My TA told me that this is a good location, in the middle of the ship. Is this true? I did ask for a room that would minimize the likelihood of seasickness (my mother is TERRIFIED of this happening), and that would be a good location with a small child. I don't see us using Camp Carnival (I can't imagine leaving my child with a stranger, but that's just me, I'm a very nervous mom), so do you think that I will find enough to entertain my son? I know he will love the pools and slide, but I was wondering why they open so late? (the carnival website says 1pm) Sorry for all the questions, but I like to have as much info. as I can before I go. I never thought that I would be a cruise person, I'm so high strung, I can't imagine spending DAYS getting somewhere, but I've got to just try and relax and enjoy the journey!! This trip is a birthday / mother's day gift for my mother, so I hope it turns out wonderful!!! Any helpful tips or advice you can think of for a first timer with a small child, would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance for all of your help!

IMO it would be tough to keep your child entertained all day without Camp Carnival, unless you plan to pack lots of activities, crafts, etc. to do with him. But obviously if you're not comfortable with it, that comes first. Me? I would put my son (I have a 3yo also) in Camp Carnival at least for part of the day, to take advantage of some of the really fun activities they have. Singing, dancing, arts & crafts, face painting, etc.

Archived