What Do You Want to Know About Eurodam -- Cruise Critic Onboard June 27th

LauraS

• Administrators

So Holland America's Eurodam, probably the year's most under-hyped

ship, is getting ready to launch (first cruise departs on June 27

from Southampton). Cruise Critic will be there, from the Southampton

send-off through the Rotterdam christening. We'll even be onboard

during the Hamburg port call (Hamburg's fabulous!) and on to Copenhagen.

What do you want to know about Eurodam? Please post your questions,

from ship features to christening details to port of call advice,

here -- and Cruise Critic's Carolyn Spencer Brown will answer while

she's onboard. One caveat: while she will report on accommodations in

all categories, she will not be able to respond to requests for

specifics along the line of "I've booked 8236; what's it like?"

So post your questions now -- and through Saturday, July 5, when she

debarks, and she'll answer them here. And feel free to chime in, as

well, with your own opinion along the way.

How terrific to be there for the first voyage!! I've got two questions:

First, please describe the aft balconies; covered? private? tiered? A picture would be wonderful.

Then, what is the teen center like? Inviting or boring? Action-packed or dead?

Have a great trip - also, be sure to have some bread pudding!

Deedee

LauraS,

Can you find out when the formal nights are for the July 5th cruise?

Also, I'm trying to figure out how to book Pinnacle online for four of us - two different parties. Can we do that online, or do we have to make that reservation by phone?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

Ross the Dwarven1

I've been following the Eurodam blog with great anticipation for the past month or so. Thanks for the opportunity to get some first-hand info.

1st question is about the Screening Room on deck 3. Could you tell me if it is similar to the Wajang (movie) Theaters that use to be on the older S & R class ships? Do they still serve bags of popcorn from the oldtime portable popcorn cart? It (the theater) was also used, among other things, for worship services. Could you report on seating capacity and the types of activities that you notice taking place in the Screening Room?

2nd, are there public viewing areas on decks 5,6 and 7 forward? From the deck plans, it looks as though passengers might be able to enjoy views from at least decks 6 and 7 (they seem wide enough) but I can't tell if they are accessible to the public.

Thank you for volunteering to answer our questions.

I'm also interested in the Teens activities. Since they are the most difficult age group to please and I'm cruising the Caribbean with my 2 teenager daughters on President's Week 09. I hope they will not be as bored as they were when we did the Westerdam in Alaska 2 years ago.

My 2nd question is about the pools. How many are there? I think I saw 2 on the HAL video. Is that right?

And finally, since we are doing Open Seating dinning, what are the dinning options? Will we have to make reservations every day for dinner? How does that work?

Thank you very much for any info.

Leticia

A detailed description of the following would be great:

(1) Food and service in Tamarind

(2) New "spa" cabins

(3) Similarities and differences between Eurodam and the Vista ships (especially differences that aren't obvious from the deck plans etc.), like public space per passenger and passenger/crew ratio

(4) Cabanas on decks

Thanks!

I really really hope that it does not depart from Southampton on 27 June as we have an invitation to lunch and a tour next Saturday, June 28th, whilst it is in Southampton. :D (Although I don't mind having a free cruise ;) )

I dunno about that, especially after checking out the Eurodam blog. :rolleyes: However, unless Einsphar is a Dutch last name.... :confused:

Sorry but Einsphar is not a Dutch name.

Glad to hear that a CC contact will be onboard! Understand that Carolyn can't supply pics of every stateroom category but perhaps if she is given a ship's tour she might be able to snap a few pics of some of the accommodations and post those? :)

Many thanks

MH

LOL, I was on my way to the airport today and I'm thinking: wait. Am I sure it's Southampton and not Dover (seems like every ship is going out of Southampton of late -- yes, I know that's not really true :) ). Because I'm staying in a hotel in S'hampton and what a pain to have to go from there to Dover! And I've been so busy and so...could've missed this.

So when I saw your email I got nervous but no, fortunately not over the choice of port. The ship arrives I think tomorrow, then does a whole lot of special events in port Friday and Saturday, then leaves Saturday night.

Sorry for the scare.

And thanks, all, for your questions. I look forward to finding out the answers. I'll be posting all through the week (Internet service onboard permitting) so feel free to keep sending them -- and offer comments on what you find out. And remember: I'm also happy to answer questions about the ports: Southampton, Rotterdam, Hamburg, Copenhagen -- have been to 'em all before. So feel free to fire away.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

I really really hope that it does not depart from Southampton on 27 June as we have an invitation to lunch and a tour next Saturday' date=' June 28th, whilst it is in Southampton. :D (Although I don't mind having a free cruise ;) )[/quote']

I'm booked on Eurodam for Feb. 2009 with my Mom. She cannot get out of pools that only have vertical ladders due to limited arm strength. Do any pools on Eurodam have a stairway with handrail as opposed to the vertical ladders that hang on the inside wall of the pool? If only a pool in the Spa has such stairs, do you have to pay some fee to use it?

Anything else you notice regarding handicap accessibility (e.g., tables near windows in dining room that don't require a step up to reach) would also be of interest.

Thanks a bunch!

There is quite a number of us sailing aboard Eurodam for the Prelude, Inaugural and first Baltic cruises - So keep an eye out for our thread...

Carolyn -

Looking forward to finally meeting you on board! Several of us in our group assemble in Ocean Bar before late dinner every evening - Please join us for a cocktail!

:)

Archived