Ala Carte items in MDR

JuneauMe

Considering Royal been doing selling steak and lobster in their MDRs for awhile - would you call that cruise line tacky too? Besides, at least now people don't have to go to Le Bistro or Cagney now to get lobster every night....

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Considering Royal been doing selling steak and lobster in their MDRs for awhile - would you call that cruise line tacky too? Besides, at least now people don't have to go to Le Bistro or Cagney now to get lobster every night....

I'm calling the "behavior" tachy. Prime rib has been on the menu forever. Is it too much to ask to have something "nice" in the MDR included with my cruise fare?

Edited by JuneauMe

If it's a few items, that's not unusual. Cappuccino has always had an extra charge, as has soft drinks and alcohol. I know a couple of lines have a few items that are extra. I read the page you linked, but I wasn't going to read the entire thread, so all I saw was references to extra charge items but didn't actually see a menu with examples.

If it's a few items, that's not unusual. Cappuccino has always had an extra charge, as has soft drinks and alcohol. I know a couple of lines have a few items that are extra. I read the page you linked, but I wasn't going to read the entire thread, so all I saw was references to extra charge items but didn't actually see a menu with examples.

Actually, Cappuccino used to be free in the MDR as well as Lobster, now no more Prime Rib... what's next, I wonder? :rolleyes:

I'm calling the "behavior" tachy. Prime rib has been on the menu forever. Is it too much to ask to have something "nice" in the MDR included with my cruise fare?

What is considered 'nice'? Because fried chicken, beef wellington, shrimp, salmon and tilipa are too....

I thought my neighbor said that Royal Caribbean's surf and turf in the MDR was close to $40

Last I remember on beyondships2.com for the Royal ships menus, its was $30 plus 18% tips. And it looks like NCL prices are way lower than theirs.

Edited by maywell

I read the page you linked, but I wasn't going to read the entire thread, so all I saw was references to extra charge items but didn't actually see a menu with examples.
There's one originally posted by LrgPizza and reposted by SissasMomE in this message from that thread.

• 16oz prime rib $14.99
  • steamed 1.5lb whole cold water lobster $19.99
  • surf & turf (8oz filet mignon + cold water lobster tail) $24.99

Considering Royal been doing selling steak and lobster in their MDRs for awhile - would you call that cruise line tacky too?

Yes I would call them tacky too. Royals product has degraded and morphed and some of their charges are getting a bit pervasive and tacky.

But they do not charge for Prime Rib. This is the first I've ever seen an MDR anywhere charge for that meal. That is lamentable especially considering it is something also normally found at the buffet and also NCL'S complimentary quick service bar. Tacky is as tacky do.

Well, NCL listened about buffet take out and they listened about continental breakfast so perhaps they will listen about the Prime Rib in the MDR. So I do have some hope they will listen and react to Guest feedback.

Edited by LMaxwell

Well, NCL listened about buffet take out and they listened about continental breakfast so perhaps they will listen about the Prime Rib in the MDR. So I do have some hope they will listen and react to Guest feedback.

"We the people" I hope they see this for the dumb idea it is & change it

"We the people" I hope they see this for the dumb idea it is & change it

Agreed 100%

But, not holding my breath - pretty soon, will be serving chuck "steak" in lieu of sirloin cuts ... what's that code word for downsizing, healthy eating - they called it. :D

I don't think o sheehans rib was 16 oz... Maybe these a la carte items are most days, with smaller portions of say prime rib still complementary on certain days.

You might be right - I could had sworn the prime rib they were serving in the buffet and O'Sheenan's was 4-5oz with bone-in compare to the $14.99 16oz boneless their now selling in the MDR. 16oz compare to 4-5oz is not small cut of meat - do some people even what their lamenting over?

16oz compare to 4-5oz is not small cut of meat - do some people even what their lamenting over?

"Lamenting," really? What people do know, is if you want to eat that much...order 2 or 3 (for free)

See the difference now?

I don't think o sheehans rib was 16 oz... Maybe these a la carte items are most days, with smaller portions of say prime rib still complementary on certain days.

That's possible. In a couple of weeks we will know better when the ship sails a regular 7 day trip and people post more MDR menus.

These upcharges are out of hand.

Agreed. At first when I saw the title of this thread, I thought the OP must have been confused. But then I saw the pictures and it was a SMH moment for sure.

And to those who keep saying, "But RCCL has charge items" and "But it's cheaper than RCCL": That doesn't negate that all food items on the MDR menu are no longer complimentary, and we're being asked to pay for items that used to be complimentary.

I continue to sit here and watch the value of a cruise I booked months in advance go down. NCL is turning out to be a bad investment of my vacation dollars.