Are you handicapped?

Lily815

Just witnessed a very rude woman acting "trailer trash" on someone who came out of the accessible / family bathroom on the Escape. The woman in question walked to the bathroom and found it occupied. The occupant came out literally 5 seconds later, and the woman proceeded to loudly ask her if she was handicapped. The occupant had enough class to just walk away, but I was dumbfounded. How rude can one person be?! Not all handicaps are visable. Maybe she was claustrophobic or something. I found it to be in extremely poor taste. I would never ask anyone that.

So I agree....totally rude. I had a friend used to say stuff like "that person doesn't look handicapped" (never to their face), but then I gently reminded her that we have NO WAY of knowing whatis going on under their clothes. What if that person in the accessible restroom has a colostomy, or something worst. People can be horribly cruel!!

Just witnessed a very rude woman acting "trailer trash" on someone who came out of the accessible / family bathroom on the Escape. The woman in question walked to the bathroom and found it occupied. The occupant came out literally 5 seconds later, and the woman proceeded to loudly ask her if she was handicapped. The occupant had enough class to just walk away, but I was dumbfounded. How rude can one person be?! Not all handicaps are visable. Maybe she was claustrophobic or something. I found it to be in extremely poor taste. I would never ask anyone that.

So was the woman walking into the bathroom that asked the question in need of the accessible facilities herself since she walked in?

OMG...the handicapped stall shouldn't sit there unused if there is no one waiting for it...perhaps all the other stalls were in use when that woman came in....it's not like an HC parking space!

Agreed! If there is a disabled person needing the bathroom, then you give it to them and wait for another. If the bathroom is empty, use whatever stall you want. They are there so they CAN use the facilities, there's nothing saying it's going to be free any time they may need it. OMG.

How rude.

I could take a line from "Johnny Dangerously" - "I AM handicapped! I'm psychotic!"

Edited by SuiteCruiser

I will confess to using the HC toilet in the past. The other toilet is full or there is a line and if I *really* need to go AND if there is not a HC person needing the toilet or the HC toilet is empty....I'll use it.

It is HC - does not say ONLY HC.

Harriet

OMG...the handicapped stall shouldn't sit there unused if there is no one waiting for it...perhaps all the other stalls were in use when that woman came in....it's not like an HC parking space!

Sometimes it's not actually a HC Stall in the bathroom but a completely separate bathroom that says HC. Either way, I've used them before if empty and a HC person wasn't using it or in need of it at the time.

Harriet

I find the phrase "trailer trash" to also be rude.

I remember a "Curb Your Enthusiasm" episode about this.

I find the phrase "trailer trash" to also be rude.

To ascribe it to a group of people yes, as an adjective to describe one person's behavior in a particular situation not so much. As described the woman in the narrative was acting that way even is she was wearing the Hope diamond.

Countdown until someone objects to the term "handicapped"....

I gladly go out of my way to not impede the disabled, but if I need to use a bathroom and all that's available is the handicapped stall or bathroom and there's no appearance of a disabled person on their way, I will use it.

It's not like I'm taking a copy of War&Peace with me, I'll be done in short order and nobody's going to wait long.

As to making assumptions about appearances... there have been many occasions that I, a fully abled person who typically runs several days a week, could be seen parking a car in a handicapped parking spot outside a restaurant.

What you wouldn't have have seen was my dropping off my wife and her frail 85 year old mother directly in front of the entrance before I then parked the car where we could walk to it after dinner.

Agreed! If there is a disabled person needing the bathroom, then you give it to them and wait for another. If the bathroom is empty, use whatever stall you want. They are there so they CAN use the facilities, there's nothing saying it's going to be free any time they may need it. OMG.

OMG! EXACTLY this. Anyone can use those stalls.

There are lots of reasons to use the handicapped stall that are not visible. Maybe they had a hip replacement and needed to use the higher toilet. Maybe they needed to change a colostomy bag. Maybe they have had surgery and needed to change dressings.

Accessible or Family bathrooms do not mean ONLY for those with accessibility issues or for family use.

It just means that room has facilities to accommodate those with accessbility issues or need them for family use.

I find that most loud, confrontational people in life don't know what the hell they are talking about.

I use handicap bathroom any time it's open because I prefer the bigger bathroom spaces ... Now obviously if there is a clearly handicap person waiting on the toilet I won't push my way past them and grab it but the bathroom is made for handicap and unless it says handicap only then I am free to use it

Most "Family" restrooms are a single use only. Helpful if a mother is taking in her young son or father taking in a daughter, or someone helping another family member. I know people who are "Bathroom Bashful" and just can't do their business in a public restroom with many stalls. I am thinking that the OP was talking about a single use restroom, as opposed to the HC stall in a many stall restroom.

I took the post to mean it was one of the HC bathrooms on the ship, not a HC stall in a regular bathroom.

While I don't mind able-bodied people using the HC stall in a multi-stall restroom, I do object to people who don't need a HC accessible single bathroom tying it up.

My husband is in a wheelchair because he has MS. He needs my help when using a restroom.

I can't take him into the ladies' room, nor can I take him into the men's room.

We rely on those "special" bathrooms, designated for HC use.

Please think about people in similar situations before you tie up a single HC bathroom - when you can quite as easily use a bathroom with multiple stalls.

We just took our first Norwegian cruise on Escape this week.

I was impressed at how HC friendly the ship is. Especially impressed by the designated HC tables in the Garden Cafe.

I suppose people will use the same excuse - "All the other tables were taken, so I decided to sit at the HC table."

I hope those who think along those lines never have to experience being disabled.

It can happen to anyone in the blink of an eye, and you will see these issues in a whole different light.

I took the post to mean it was one of the HC bathrooms on the ship, not a HC stall in a regular bathroom.

While I don't mind able-bodied people using the HC stall in a multi-stall restroom, I do object to people who don't need a HC accessible single bathroom tying it up.

My husband is in a wheelchair because he has MS. He needs my help when using a restroom.

I can't take him into the ladies' room, nor can I take him into the men's room.

We rely on those "special" bathrooms, designated for HC use.

Please think about people in similar situations before you tie up a single HC bathroom - when you can quite as easily use a bathroom with multiple stalls.

We just took our first Norwegian cruise on Escape this week.

I was impressed at how HC friendly the ship is. Especially impressed by the designated HC tables in the Garden Cafe.

I suppose people will use the same excuse - "All the other tables were taken, so I decided to sit at the HC table."

I hope those who think along those lines never have to experience being disabled.

It can happen to anyone in the blink of an eye, and you will see these issues in a whole different light.

The point is that rude woman had no idea why that lady was using the restroom. How dare she question her! She waited a whopping 10 seconds, if that.